The All-Time 7: TSN's Montreal Canadiens All-Time Team - TSN.ca

TSN All-Time Team Eligibility Criteria
□ Team: two goalies, six defencemen, 12 forwards and one foundational player
□ Members must have played at least 225 games with the Canadiens
□ At least one member of the all-time team must be from the 2019-20 Canadiens
□ Players are slotted in positions they played with the Canadiens
□ One line must be comprised of defensive standouts, aka a checking line
□ One pair must be comprised of suffocating defenders, aka a shutdown pair
□ Lines and pairs are put together because they fit together, not because they are necessarily the first, second and third best at their positions
□ Foundational players are defined as players part of the fabric – the DNA – of a franchise
□ Last cuts by position are exactly as advertised, the players who just missed selection to the all-time team

all-time-canadiens.jpg

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Those who wonder why they chose Price:

□ At least one member of the all-time team must be from the 2019-20 Canadiens

so no Weber :sarcasm:

Is there anyone else in this team that could be worthy in 10 years? :(

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
From the article

THE LAST CUTS
The hardest cut of all was Patrick Roy, the driving force behind two Montreal Stanley Cups, joining Bobby Orr, Bernie Parent, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and Sidney Crosby as the only players to win two Conn Smythes with one team.
G: Patrick Roy, 1985-95
LD: Jacques Laperriere, 1963-74
RD: P.K. Subban, 2010-16
LW: Aurel Joliat, 1922-38
C: Elmer Lach, 1940-54
RW: Yvan Cournoyer, 1964-79

Jerryvvv

Apr 4, 2020
So we haven't had a great forward since 94, and no great defenseman since 90....that seems accurate to me, but a big time LOL @ Price being on there,

One of these players (or I should say goalie) ain't like the others!! :laugh:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Those who wonder why they chose Price:

At least one member of the all-time team must be from the 2019-20 Canadiens

so no Weber :sarcasm:

Is there anyone else in this team that could be worthy in 10 years? :(
Yeah because there is no other reason for Price to be there over Roy or Plante.

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
Seriously, is have put Gallagher in there over price. I'm sure he'd have potted quite a few with a real centre.

Patrick Roy is largely considered one of the best tenders of all time.... You can't exclude him.

Also, I'd swap Markov for chellios.

Reactions: rickthegoon

widowmaker

Jun 21, 2009
MB
Seriously, is have put Gallagher in there over price. I'm sure he'd have potted quite a few with a real centre.

Patrick Roy is largely considered one of the best tenders of all time.... You can't exclude him.

Also, I'd swap Markov for chellios.
Chelios in his years in Montreal had a bigger impact and was better than Markov in his 990 games.. ...... Chelly belongs there

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hard to take it serious when they have to put a player from the current team as that's just silly.

As for Chelios if you flipped them and put Markov on those late '80's teams, I bet he would be right there in terms of points but then Chelios's physical game would still put him over the top as he was a beast. What a terrible trade and I loved watching Savard on the Habs, was one of my favorite non Habs back then after Yzerman.

I found this article and something stood out,

THE CHELIOS TRADE – Worst in Canadiens History

As long as he was doing what he was doing on-ice, general manager Serge Savard was not about to lose any sleep over his night time rambling. Not so for the team’s president Ronald Corey who had just enough hockey knowledge to be dangerous, and Molson Breweries who owned the team and were only concerned with corporate image. They made up the perfect storm of hockey incompetence.[/QUOTE]

funny how somethings never change.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
I did this a few months ago. I think Markov should be close because of his PP.

I had Cournoyer, Naslund and Koivu over Morenz, Blake and Provost..

Koivu is my favorite...really Morenz should be there over koivu

Roy should be there over Plante

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Seriously, with their constraints, I expected worst. Aurèle Joliat is really the lone missing player that HAD to be on that team, instead of Steve Shutt.

One could argue that Henri Richard would be the defensive standout, allowing for Elmer Lach somewhere in the lineup.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Seriously, with their constraints, I expected worst. Aurèle Joliat is really the lone missing player that HAD to be on that team, instead of Steve Shutt.

One could argue that Henri Richard would be the defensive standout, allowing for Elmer Lach somewhere in the lineup.
Pocket wasn't better than Carbo defensively and in nobody's world does Joliat go in ahead of Shutt....imo

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Pocket wasn't better than Carbo defensively and in nobody's world does Joliat go in ahead of Shutt....imo

Well, Lach was a better player overall than Carbo, and while Pocket isn't better defensively than Carbo, he was also good enough to outplay just about everyone he's up against.

... And lol, everyone with some kind of passing knowledge about hockey history takes Joliat before Shutt. This is a very obvious call. Shutt was a great complimentary player, but even for his best years he wasn't the best player on his line, or even the second best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad