All-time Draft # 5b - The Minor League

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
God Bless Canada said:
I actually tried piecing it together last night. I couldn't. There just isn't any talent out there. There are a couple skilled centres, some good right wingers, but that's it. There aren't any quality defencemen left. There aren't any quality left wingers remaining. I just nabbed two-year wonder Darren Puppa.

As this draft continues to grow, I think we've seen the limits on the talent available. If we ever reach a 20-team draft, I don't think a minor league draft would be possible. (I think there would be other options out there, such as an open ended draft like what the NHL used to run). Once you get past the 600th player, we just don't have much to choose from. Hell, Dana Murzyn was just selected. (Yeah, I know it's a sentimental pick, but my guys are licking their chops at the prospect of skating around him. BTW, jt, you know that Murzyn didn't play after the first round in 1994, right?)
Yea I selected Murzyn based on my lazyness to research any more. He did have a cup run with the Flames did he not?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
raleh said:
Alright GBC, I'll see your Puppa and raise you Jim Carrey!

Hmmmm. One two-year wonder versus another. At least Puppa can blame injuries for his game going south after 1996. Carey flopped once he was removed from the near-impenitrable Washington defence.

So does this mean it's my turn? With our final pick, the Notre Dame Hounds are pleased to select a hard-nosed bench boss who guided several Stanley Cup champions:

Coach Punch Imlach​

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
God Bless Canada said:
Hmmmm. One two-year wonder versus another. At least Puppa can blame injuries for his game going south after 1996. Carey flopped once he was removed from the near-impenitrable Washington defence.

So does this mean it's my turn? With our final pick, the Notre Dame Hounds are pleased to select a hard-nosed bench boss who guided several Stanley Cup champions:

Coach Punch Imlach​

haha, my goaltending is ridiculous in this draft. Theodore will be our starter and everything will depend on which Theodore shows up. If it's the one I'm hoping for, Nova Scotia will be alright. If not I have to rely on Carrey or Wiitala. Carrey just simply won't do the job, although if he gets hot he's great. Witala is hit or miss, great internationaly but obviously never had a shot at playing against the actuall best in the world. Being in the international hhof is a plus, but picking him was about as risky as relying on Tretiak as my number one in the main draft, but at least I have Vezina to help out there and if Theodore shows up he can bump Lehman to the minor leagues.

Great pick with Imlach too.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
OMG! Punch Imlach was still available???????

The Edmonton Oil Kings turn to the Buffalo Sabres organization once more to select head coach: Lindy Ruff

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Notre Dame Hounds team evaluation.

Due to the popularity of my evaluations in the all-time draft, here is my team evaluation for the minor league draft. (Note: there won't be steals and too soons. Frankly, I think most of us think the player we selected in a minor league draft is a steal, and should have gone in the all-time draft or early in the minor league draft. I will say that Duff is a consensus steal, though. We congratulate Duff on his selection into the HHOF. We're not saying he belongs there, just congratulations).

STRENGTHS:
*Left wing. Entering the draft, we believed there was a dearth of depth at left wing and defence, so those were our priorities. We also felt there were deficiencies across the board in goal, but we believed there wasn't much to choose between the top 15-or-so goaltenders. What resulted was HHOFers on our first three lines. Cook was a star in New York, Patrick led the league in goals once, and Duff, well, we all know about him. Our fourth liner, Dennis Hull, had several 30-goal seasons. Gritty Mike McPhee is waiting in the wings.
*Coaching. Frankly, we probably should have taken Imlach in the last draft. But if we took him, we'd probably have to trade Brewer and a couple others, so it was probably best to pass on Punch. Never thought we'd get another shot at him.
*Defence. As stated earlier, we knew there was little available on the blue line. While we missed out on Huddy, Si Griffiths and Red Dutton, but still came away with a versatile, well-rounded group. Reinhart is a very underrated offensive defenceman. Patrick, Smith and Gerard are well-rounded. Macoun and McSorley are double tough. Ozilinsch will come in handy when Reinhart's back flares up. (Assuming Oz isn't in rehab/testing the Wilcox Police Department's new breathalizer).
*Versatility. Another trait of the Smoke Eaters. Guys like Unger, Wharram, Gagner, Duff, Courtnall and Hull can play anywhere from the second line to the fourth line.

Weaknesses:
*Leadership. As hard as it may be to believe on our team, we don't have that dominant, take-charge leader. Lots of good leaders (Macoun, Unger, Patrick and captain Peplinski), but not a truly great leader, not like our big team. Then again, there weren't many top leaders available.
*Fourth line. A mishmashed group that's still not finalized. Instead of a checking line, we decided to go with a "two-way line" and a "Spunk Line." The two-way line is fine. Courtnall-Gagne-Duff. Solid in all aspects. Spunk Line didn't pan out. Call it the Miscellaneous Line. Still, Dennis Hull on the fourth line isn't all bad.
*Scoring. Like the big team, this team lacks offensive punch. Wingers will be forced to carry the offensive load. They're capable. But outside of brittle Barry Pederson, there isn't a lot of offensive punch. Garry Unger was selected for two-way presence. There is some punch from the defence.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
for anyone who wondered wher i was my comp went to sleep lolIm back now so all is rigghht in the world

so who wants to pick 5 more players

3 forwards

2 d-man

1 must be a "goon"

Welcome back, LL. I was starting to get worried about you.

Frankly, I can't name two defencemen and three forwards that I think are good enough to be drafted, let alone three and two for each team. I know I'm not alone in this boat. I'm happy with my team. Besides, it's now summer time, the sun is shining here in beautiful southeast Saskatchewan, and I'm not going to be around much. The campground and golf course beckon.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
I don't think we need to add rounds for selections, but it's not as bare as you make it seem. There are still some international gems left out there, and a number of guys better than Jim Carey.

We could probably put together a decent team of undrafted players. Here are the players taken in previous drafts that went undrafted this time:

Ziggy Palffy
Kim Johnsson
Russell "Dubbie" Bowie
Jason Allison
Jack Adams, coach
Alexei Kovalev
Jimmy Foster
Viktor Tikhonov, coach
Dave Schultz
Barrett Jackman
Phat Wilson
Frank Foyston
Josef Malecek
Dave Brown
Jeff Beukeboom
Helmut Balderis
Murray Oliver
Pit Martin
Paul MacLean
Dale Tallon
Ed Olczyk
Darren McCarty
Pavol Demitra
Greg Adams
Dave Lewis
Henrik Zetterberg
Henrik Lundqvist
Kelly Buchberger
Marc Bergevin
Marek Svatos
Donald Brashear
Darryl Sutter
Adrian Aucoin
Alexander Gusev
Uwe Krupp
John McKenzie
Patrik Sundstrom
Orland Kurtenbach
Mike Babcock, coach
Tony Tanti
Marc-Andre Fleury

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I don't think we need to add rounds for selections, but it's not as bare as you make it seem. There are still some international gems left out there, and a number of guys better than Jim Carey.

We could probably put together a decent team of undrafted players. Here are the players taken in previous drafts that went undrafted this time:

Ziggy Palffy
Kim Johnsson
Russell "Dubbie" Bowie
Jason Allison
Jack Adams, coach
Alexei Kovalev
Jimmy Foster
Viktor Tikhonov, coach
Dave Schultz
Barrett Jackman
Phat Wilson
Frank Foyston
Josef Malecek
Dave Brown
Jeff Beukeboom
Helmut Balderis
Murray Oliver
Pit Martin
Paul MacLean
Dale Tallon
Ed Olczyk
Darren McCarty
Pavol Demitra
Greg Adams
Dave Lewis
Henrik Zetterberg
Henrik Lundqvist
Kelly Buchberger
Marc Bergevin
Marek Svatos
Donald Brashear
Darryl Sutter
Adrian Aucoin
Alexander Gusev
Uwe Krupp
John McKenzie
Patrik Sundstrom
Orland Kurtenbach
Mike Babcock, coach
Tony Tanti
Marc-Andre Fleury

Nice work, commish. Obviously Tikhanov and Adams are the cream of the remaining coaches. But I don't see many players on defence. Jeff Beukeboom and Uwe Krupp were guys that I had pegged as potential No. 7 defencemen. But they were pretty far down my list of consideration. I definitely wouldn't consider most of the forwards on this list. Guys like Allison, DeMitra, Kovalev and MacLean had their moments, but I don't think they're good enough.

Two forwards I would consider who haven't been picked yet are Craig Janney and Hobey Baker. Janney is one of the most gifted playmaking centres of the last 20 years. He was a magician with the puck. Two problems emerged, though: tenacity and attitude. Hit him and he disappeared. If he wasn't producing, he wasn't useful, on the ice or in the locker room.

Baker was one of the game's early stars. I refer to him as the Bobby Jones of hockey: a true star who retained his amateur status in the face of many opportunities to turn pro. Baker's perception suffers because he played against weaker competition, but his skills are undeniable.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00