All Things Pegula 2

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
I just wonder what the deal is with that awful downtown arena, how much money maintenance/repair/renovations will cost, and if the Pegulas want to deal with it.

Say what you will about the micro-view, and how Krebs is good, Thompson looks like a C, they have a couple upcoming first rounders... but go into the arena and look at the standings over the past 8? seasons and you can see a franchise that has been thoroughly run into the ground. Even with a few bright spots for the future, this thing is a heavy lift and there is no certainty they/Adams can pull this thing out of it anytime soon. It really cant be fun for the Pegulas to own this team and also assume the yearly losses, and lots of criticism while their visions of a downtown 'empire' seem to have cooled. They have a pretty sweet profit waiting for them when/if they decide to cash out on the team.

It wouldnt surprise me if they wanted to rid themselves of the Sabres.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Would not surprise me that they want nothing to do with renovating the hockey arena after paying there share on a new football stadium and will sell after that. EF referenced that selling the team while trying to get a new football stadium would be a bad look for them.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
If it prints money, I'm sure there would be many interested buyers.

Buy one of the least valuable franchises, break the playoff drought, draft a franchise QB, and sell at a significant profit before needing to pony up for a new stadium? Not happening now, regardless but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. They originally said they had no intention of owning a football team, but wanted to keep it in buffalo

What the heck would the Pegula's do with the cash? They already have too much.

Trust me on this... The Pegula's will NEVER sell the Bills. The love how they are one of 32 in the entire world that own a franchise. No price tag would ever get them to sell. They already have everything they want, and much more after that.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Yeah, especially going through the paces and receiving public money for the new stadium. It would make no sense to just bail out right now (or anytime soon).

As far as the other teams... Bandits and Amerks. Yes, in event of a (hypothetical at this point) Sabres sale, I would expect them to try to break free of those teams as well and pass over all Sabres and Arena properties and management to the new owner(s).

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You know what our current ownership situation reminds me of: Years back Ed Snider ended up with the Sixers essentially falling into his lap but it was painfully obvious that they were secondary to the Flyers and were badly neglected by an ownership that couldn't care less and allowed to decay into irrelevance. We are the Sixers and the Bills are the Flyers.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hopefully they continue to just stay the f*** away from the Sabres. Just stay away. Let the front office run, let the players play, sign the checks and later smile and nod if it works out.

But stop ever thinking being involved in personnel appraisals is a good thing and stop ever acting on it unless the front office is asking for something like the Pegula jet to fly out to someone's home for some face-to-face with the GM.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Hopefully they continue to just stay the f*** away from the Sabres. Just stay away. Let the front office run, let the players play, sign the checks and later smile and nod if it works out.

But stop ever thinking being involved in personnel appraisals is a good thing and stop ever acting on it unless the front office is asking for something like the Pegula jet to fly out to someone's home for some face-to-face with the GM.
What motivated my post is getting daily emails from the Bills on tickets and merch sales and very few from the Sabres. Staying out of hockey ops is good, not bothering with marketing, promotion and improving gameday experience is very bad and quite frankly inexcusable.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What motivated my post is getting daily emails from the Bills on tickets and merch sales and very few from the Sabres. Staying out of hockey ops is good, not bothering with marketing, promotion and improving gameday experience is very bad and quite frankly inexcusable.

Maybe, just maybe, the regional fatigue directed toward the Sabres makes trying to market their merch and tickets all the more difficult and they're giving people a rest? It's like having an ex who you communicate with via email - the less you get, the better one's overall experience is.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Maybe, just maybe, the regional fatigue directed toward the Sabres makes trying to market their merch and tickets all the more difficult and they're giving people a rest? It's like having an ex who you communicate with via email - the less you get, the better one's overall experience is.

That goes against the "The MAN is bad, down with The MAN" vibe here. In reality, the Pegulas aren't what's killing this team. The core of that apple has been rotten since the days of Reiger/Quinn. But we get mad and we blame The MAN. Then suddenly next year when we have an up-and-coming squad and start winning games the tide will turn and plenty of people who were mad at The MAN will lionize the Pegulas.

I just want them to fix the stadium at this point. It would be pennies from their purse to make the place decent and it's an embarrassment whenever I take people to games when I'm in town. There is absolutely no reason for an escalator like that in the concourse or leaks in the ceilings and zero oversight of the vendors. I will gladly blame the Pegulas for that. I won't blame them for not pushing tickets on us any further. They know it's a joke of a team, we know we have a joke of a team, it is what it is.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Rumor is this isn't the only buffalo sports team they've thought of selling in the past few years....

From whom? You? The Pegulas hold onto the Bills and they make another SB run or two and suddenly you're talking an extra couple hundred million dollars in the bid. Idk what they are valued at currently but I would assume the phone call begins with two bills now and goes from there. The stadium would be the only thing keeping them from being $2.5+.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That goes against the "The MAN is bad, down with The MAN" vibe here. In reality, the Pegulas aren't what's killing this team. The core of that apple has been rotten since the days of Reiger/Quinn. But we get mad and we blame The MAN. Then suddenly next year when we have an up-and-coming squad and start winning games the tide will turn and plenty of people who were mad at The MAN will lionize the Pegulas.

I just want them to fix the stadium at this point. It would be pennies from their purse to make the place decent and it's an embarrassment whenever I take people to games when I'm in town. There is absolutely no reason for an escalator like that in the concourse or leaks in the ceilings and zero oversight of the vendors. I will gladly blame the Pegulas for that. I won't blame them for not pushing tickets on us any further. They know it's a joke of a team, we know we have a joke of a team, it is what it is.
He's had full ownership for ELEVEN YEARS. Blaming Darcy/Quinn for this dumpster fire is beyond ludicrous, the Pegulas stupidity and incompetence is why this is the single biggest joke of a franchise in the entire sport. If you don't believe me go talk to anyone who has had the misfortune to work for PSE.

Reactions: Ehran and Jacob582

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I'd like this too...but you don't hire someone whose only qualification is loyalty because you want to be hands off.

No, just no. Carolina restructured their front office and turned their entire franchise around in one offseason. 11 years in we're still blaming a GM from a decade ago? Previously I was very pro Pegula's and white knighted them quite a bit because I felt they would eventually get to the hands off owner benevolent owner status. Once they start axing people during the pandemic it became obvious that that they were sick of losing dollars on this team, and that has been glaringly evident since the minute Adams was hired. It's not about blaming 'the man', it's about an owner whose has very obviously been far too hands on and now doesn't want to spend a dime on the team.

I'm not sure when that will happen. The Pegulas don't appear to be willing to spend anything over the bare minimum at this point. Repairs might be a function of ROI at this point, with league worse attendance, what is the ROI on repairs/improvements? Probably pure expense.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I'd like this too...but you don't hire someone whose only qualification is loyalty because you want to be hands off.

No, just no. Carolina restructured their front office and turned their entire franchise around in one offseason. 11 years in we're still blaming a GM from a decade ago? Previously I was very pro Pegula's and white knighted them quite a bit because I felt they would eventually get to the hands off owner benevolent owner status. Once they start axing people during the pandemic it became obvious that that they were sick of losing dollars on this team, and that has been glaringly evident since the minute Adams was hired. It's not about blaming 'the man', it's about an owner whose has very obviously been far too hands on and now doesn't want to spend a dime on the team.

I'm not sure when that will happen. The Pegulas don't appear to be willing to spend anything over the bare minimum at this point. Repairs might be a function of ROI at this point, with league worse attendance, what is the ROI on repairs/improvements? Probably pure expense.
It wasn't so very long ago that you had to practically mug someone on their way to the game to get a ticket. I'm still so sad at how far this franchise has fallen.

Reactions: sabremike

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
These Billionaires Received Taxpayer-Funded Stimulus Checks During the Pandemic — ProPublica

Billionaires often reap sizable tax deductions from owning sports teams, as a ProPublica story this year detailed. A number of sports team owners were among the recipients of stimulus payments. Terrence Pegula, who is worth $5.7 billion and owns both the NFL’s Buffalo Bills and the NHL’s Buffalo Sabres, was one. Also getting a check was Glen Taylor, worth $2.8 billion, who earlier this year struck a deal to sell Minnesota’s NBA and WNBA teams for $1.5 billion. Pegula and Taylor did not respond to requests for comment.

Knowing that my family is fortunate enough to not have received stimulus, knowing that I pay more income taxes than the Pegula family is disgusting and part of what is wrong with this country. Tax capital gains over 1M as income, period.

Pay your fair share, Terry and Kim.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe if the Bills can win the Super Bowl, Terry and Kim can walk away from the Sabres finally. The issue of course is finding a buyer and not relocating the team. But I don't like them as people or how they have run this team and it's something that remains hard to overlook.

member 334057

Maybe if the Bills can win the Super Bowl, Terry and Kim can walk away from the Sabres finally. The issue of course is finding a buyer and not relocating the team. But I don't like them as people or how they have run this team and it's something that remains hard to overlook.
The thing I just really don't understand is why they seemingly run the teams differently. Most accounts I've seen say that they stay mostly out of the decision making process for the Bills and allow Beane and McDermott run the show without much interference. Yet with the Sabres they continue to try and make personnel decisions and basically undermine the GM and what they are trying to do. You would think after a decade of this shit show, and how things turned around for the Bills they would recognize that they themselves are the problem. Just sign the checks and look pretty at the draft, you don't need to do anything else.

Reactions: sabres4ever

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
The thing I just really don't understand is why they seemingly run the teams differently. Most accounts I've seen say that they stay mostly out of the decision making process for the Bills and allow Beane and McDermott run the show without much interference. Yet with the Sabres they continue to try and make personnel decisions and basically undermine the GM and what they are trying to do. You would think after a decade of this shit show, and how things turned around for the Bills they would recognize that they themselves are the problem. Just sign the checks and look pretty at the draft, you don't need to do anything else.

Trust.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I honestly think Beane and McDermott simply know how to communicate with them. They are better at managing the Pegula's. Adams is, at best, a co GM with Terry. He probably spends as much time giving Terry and Kim updates as he does doing actual GM work.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
right there with you.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
These Billionaires Received Taxpayer-Funded Stimulus Checks During the Pandemic — ProPublica

Knowing that my family is fortunate enough to not have received stimulus, knowing that I pay more income taxes than the Pegula family is disgusting and part of what is wrong with this country. Tax capital gains over 1M as income, period.

Pay your fair share, Terry and Kim.

Perhaps the only thing I've ever agreed on with TD. But to be fair, this is not a Pegula issue. It's a system issue. Though they were stupid enough to let their "income" get to the point that they were issued a stimulus check and probably deserve the comment.

My only comment here related to hockey is that I think that Kevyn Adams just might be the guy who knows how to work with Terry Pegula in the same way that Bean and McDermott do. That gives me some hope for the future.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

Peters says his sources say to expect major changes to the organization before end of season.
Wonder what? Minority owner, Front Office shuffle

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018

Peters says his sources say to expect major changes to the organization before end of season.
Wonder what? Minority owner, Front Office shuffle

Hmm it has to be mgmt based I'd assume since we don't really have any big name players anymore that make sense to deal. Given Kevyn Adams is still fresh and Granato is doing a fine job developing young guys it has to be ownership? Do sales even happen mid-season usually?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They've brought up how private equity firms can buy into franchises now. Perhaps this indicates they are going to sell a minority stake to one of those organizations, like how the Wild and Lightning have.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
We are a bottom team so that was expected, right? I don't see how it can be Adams or Granato.

Maybe a new President?

I wouldn't mind if they made "major changes" with what players were on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad