All Things Ken Holland

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ken Holland - my #1 Marvin K Mooney:

Marvin-K.-Mooney.jpg

But I guess having him around another year means I'll have more time on my hands during the intervals when I used to watch hockey...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
On a positive note, saw this the other day --

And look – Kenny Holland works real hard. I’m always impressed when I see tournaments like the Hlinka or some of these lesser-known international events, but still big events because a lot of them have to deal with prospects or up-and-coming players or draft-eligible players. Kenny Holland goes to all of these things.

I think the fact that he is still passionate about scouting is a good thing, and if he does transition to the front office he would have plenty of time to do that, and I still think he has value in that regard.

He doesn't seem ready to walk away from being a GM, but I don't think that should be his decision at this point. Having him as an advisor dedicated to scouting would be a win, IMO.

https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-holland-will-find-way-make-red-wings-better/

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
On a positive note, saw this the other day --

I think the fact that he is still passionate about scouting is a good thing, and if he does transition to the front office he would have plenty of time to do that, and I still think he has value in that regard.

He doesn't seem ready to walk away from being a GM, but I don't think that should be his decision at this point. Having him as an advisor dedicated to scouting would be a win, IMO.

https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-holland-will-find-way-make-red-wings-better/

Yeah, that's fine, it's just that he should have done that like five years ago at this point.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah, that's fine, it's just that he should have done that like five years ago at this point.
Pretty much. What little discussion there is this summer (Will AA sign? Is there an upcoming trade to resolve the cap?) all boils down to:

Will Detroit be a bottom 10 team, or a bottom 5 team (and how much longer will they deny the reality they're in)?

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Ken Holland - my #1 Marvin K Mooney:

Marvin-K.-Mooney.jpg

But I guess having him around another year means I'll have more time on my hands during the intervals when I used to watch hockey...

It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter'd your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defil'd this sacred place, and turn'd the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress'd, are yourselves gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!

OK, maybe slightly over the top...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I hadn't seen this and didn't think it warranted a thread. I guess this seems like the place for it(based on the title, not the content of the thread).

KH Promoted Cleary officially.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I hadn't seen this and didn't think it warranted a thread. I guess this seems like the place for it(based on the title, not the content of the thread).

Because the one thing this franchise needs is more continuity and promoting from within.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

It's a miracle that out of the vast potential candidates for these positions the most qualified and exemplary are already part of the organization. Stunning! :sarcasm:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's a miracle that out of the vast potential candidates for these positions the most qualified and exemplary are already part of the organization. Stunning! :sarcasm:

The young kids in GR have raved about Cleary, he seems ideal for sharing this role with Horcoff, who aside from practicing with Wings players in the summer never had a tangible role in the organization. I like those two as a co-directors.

We will see. I wanted Cleary to stay with the organization after he was done playing. I know we are becoming concerned about some of that in terms of now with the decline. But I am happy to have Cleary in a role with the Wings moving forward. He should be evaluated in it, but I am not going to dismiss him from it outright.

Like I said our only returns on this are the young Wings and Griffins saying he is terrific with them for several years now.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The young kids in GR have raved about Cleary, he seems ideal for sharing this role with Horcoff, who aside from practicing with Wings players in the summer never had a tangible role in the organization. I like those two as a co-directors.

We will see. I wanted Cleary to stay with the organization after he was done playing. I know we are becoming concerned about some of that in terms of now with the decline. But I am happy to have Cleary in a role with the Wings moving forward. He should be evaluated in it, but I am not going to dismiss him from it outright.

Like I said our only returns on this are the young Wings and Griffins saying he is terrific with them for several years now.

True, I was trying to poke a little fun at the OBC, but honestly this is the way life in general works: it's not where you go, it's who you know. There could be literally a thousand options seeking a development coach but a team/group is going to consider what's most familiar first. Does handing out positions to known personalities within the org. limit our potential? I don't think we could ever know.

Aren't Horcoff and Cleary best buds? That's kind of a cool angle to the hiring. When people are happy and motivated good things can happen.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Because the one thing this franchise needs is more continuity and promoting from within.

Generally I would agree with this sentiment, but Cleary is the poster boy for the highly touted prospect who couldn't cut it in the NHL until he completely changed his game and attitude and forged a successful career (and destroyed his body in the process, but don't worry about that part kids!)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad