Speculation: All Tavares talk here

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
How quickly everyone forgets our best veteran: Cameron Ward.

Well, in fairness, if we sign Tavares next offseason, Ward won't be under contract unless they re-sign him again. Same goes for Stempniak.

If a Darling/Ward tandem works well this year though, I could see them giving Ward another 1 year deal.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The concept is totally dependent on who backs Greenberg, imo.

Players of Tavares’ caliber command contracts that are front-loaded and bonus heavy. I would be surprised if he wasn’t due $12 mil or more payable July 1st, 2018. That will be a difficult contract for a cost conscious team to handle. If new ownership is more of the same, I don’t see how they pull that off, given future payroll commitments.

Now, if Greenberg has a Pegula-like backer that just wants to win, anything is possible.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Players of Tavares’ caliber command contracts that are front-loaded and bonus heavy. I would be surprised if he wasn’t due $12 mil or more payable July 1st, 2018. That will be a difficult contract for a cost conscious team to handle. If new ownership is more of the same, I don’t see how they pull that off, given future payroll commitments.

Now, if Greenberg has a Pegula-like backer that just wants to win, anything is possible.

As an investment, bringing in a top-10 NHL player seems on a long-term deal seems more like a positive than a negative. Maybe they don't have the capital to commit to a higher Cap right away, but it seems like if that were an issue that they wouldn't be paying top-dollar to buy one of the least successful teams in the league. Fortunately the NHL isn't (yet) like Baseball where owners buy a team and operate perpetually in the black through a combo of low payroll and profit sharing. A strategy which PK did successfully profit from last year, but it doesn't seem to be a reliable trend.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Wouldn't surprise me if JT aav was 10-12 million, let alone his bonuses.

A legit number one center in his prime hitting ufa? He could probably ask for 13-14. What's the max limit these days?

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Wouldn't surprise me if JT aav was 10-12 million, let alone his bonuses.

A legit one center in his prime hitting ufa? He could probably ask for 13-14. What's the max limit these days?

Maybe he likes 91 so much his AAV will only be $9.1 mil. I hear that makes you a leader and good Canadian boy or some such nonsense.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I look at it as a 'spend money to make money' gamble. It'll be very interesting if we get to next offseason and someone like Tavares is still sitting out there without a contract with a new owner controlling a very young and talented team looking to make his stamp on the NHL starts waving money in Free Agency. I don't think it'll matter who backs Greenberg, I think its the kind of move he would make to send a lightning rod through the fanbase to show that he means business on being a legitimate contender.

That said, depending on if/when he takes over the team, I'm not sure we'll be waiting that long to pull the trigger on a big move.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Well, in fairness, if we sign Tavares next offseason, Ward won't be under contract unless they re-sign him again. Same goes for Stempniak.

If a Darling/Ward tandem works well this year though, I could see them giving Ward another 1 year deal.

Alright alright Mr. Literalist. It was said in jest after reading 3 or 4 posts today not listing him as a vet. Everyone will remember him when he plays 48 this season :)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Alright alright Mr. Literalist. It was said in jest after reading 3 or 4 posts today not listing him as a vet. Everyone will remember him when he plays 48 this season :)

I know it was in jest, and my initial comment was tongue in cheek to provoke the exact response from you. :laugh:

The 2nd part of my post was serious though. If the tandem works well (no matter how many games each guys plays), I can see them resigning him to another 1 year deal.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Players of Tavares’ caliber command contracts that are front-loaded and bonus heavy.

Performance bonuses are only allowed for players on ELC and 35+ players on one year contracts, and Schedule A bonuses cap at $850.000, and the Schedule B bonuses, which cap at $2M, need you to be a league top 10 in forwards/defenders on G/A/P/PpGP or being a finalist for a trophy that's not Calder or Lady Byng.

Signing bonuses are essentially a pre-paid portion of the Salary.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Performance bonuses are only allowed for players on ELC and 35+ players on one year contracts, and Schedule A bonuses cap at $850.000, and the Schedule B bonuses, which cap at $2M, need you to be a league top 10 in forwards/defenders on G/A/P/PpGP or being a finalist for a trophy that's not Calder or Lady Byng.

Signing bonuses are essentially a pre-paid portion of the Salary.

I’m well aware of all of that.

I was referring to signing bonuses. While it does balance out at the end of the year, signing bonuses may be problematic, depending on cash flow. I have no inside knowledge here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is an issue for the Canes, based on recent history. I'm struggling to recall the last time the organization gave out a signing bonus to a non-ELC player. Of course, if ownership has access to an affordable LOC, then that my point is irrelevant. I admit that I'm not an expert on the matter.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I’m well aware of all of that.

I was referring to signing bonuses. While it does balance out at the end of the year, signing bonuses may be problematic, depending on cash flow. I have no inside knowledge here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is an issue for the Canes, based on recent history. I'm struggling to recall the last time the organization gave out a signing bonus to a non-ELC player. Of course, if ownership has access to an affordable LOC, then that my point is irrelevant. I admit that I'm not an expert on the matter.

I actually though you probably were aware, but as the topic of bonuses stayed up in following posts, I used yours as a springboard to mention it, because not everyone always are in sure knowledge of it.

And the point you make of signing bonuses and real money and the timely availability of it is a solid one.

On same note, I wonder if the Games Played bonuses are used to bigger extent on Canes than on teams on the average, because there seems to be quite an amount of them (Slavin and Pesce have them, so does Kuokkanen, Saarela, nearly every signed prospect), and if they are in fact used to drive the ELC Players' base salary down one or a couple of hundred thousand dollars per each.

Though, if they play <10 games the cumulative per game salary doesn't amount to much, and =>10 the Bonuses obviously get paid. But it's fun/curious that guys have the regressive $207.5k / $157.5k / $82.5k kind of GP bonuses for the duration of the ELC (Saarela as example here, the numbers live a bit from ELC to ELC).

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Somebody on the ch.com message board mentioned reading on another message board some really interesting rumors on Tavares and his possible connections to coming to the Canes. Coincidence?

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Somebody on the ch.com message board mentioned reading on another message board some really interesting rumors on Tavares and his possible connections to coming to the Canes. Coincidence?

That was me mentioning the speculations I read on this board. Lol, sorry. They had got on the topic of Tavares, and I didn't see anything that wasn't posted here. I love that board, but it's not as active as this one, so they don't provide as much up-to-date information.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Rumors are that JT turned down a 8 x $10.5M contract offer from the Isles. That sounds to me like he just is not that into the NYI anymore.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
51koL0FytoL.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad