Rask
Lundqvist
Niemi
Rinne
Lehtonen

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Care to elaborate on those lines? It is a bit hard to know what you had in mind with this. Why are there 5 lines offensive and defensive and 5 goalies?

You call it a scandinavian team, but I dont see any norwegian players at all. Why is that? Why on earth do you have a 43 year old finne in the team and on the second line? Do you value nationality over current pointproduction?

I am sorry, a lot of questions, but you do not leave much to work with.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So if we look at current form, but also take in something about experience I have come up with something like this (it's preliminary, so I will probably change it with good inputs).

So I'll go for
Henrik Sedin (Sve) as 1'st center. (+PP)
Nicklas Bäckström (Sve) as 2'nd center. (+PP)
Frans Nielsen (Den) as 3'rd center. (+PK)
Mikko Koivu (Fin) as 4'th center. (+PK)

You could argue a lot about who should be 3'rd or 4'th center: But I would choose the above for their experience compared to Eller, Filppula or Barkov. If Koivu or Nielsen should change places is also possible, but Koivu is much more physical so that's why I am have as a super 4'th liner.
Johan Franzen is another candidate.
[Since I'm Danish I wanted to include Frans Nielsen and then he has to play 3'rd line!]

When it comes to wings it's more difficult since many players can both play several positions.

So I would from a preliminary thought have:
Right Wing (the Scandinavian team is a lot weaker here in depth, than on the left wing):
Daniel Alfredsson (Sve) 1'st R-wing.
Teemu Selänne (Fin) as 2'nd R-wing.
But as these two will soon retire, we might go for other options.....
Mikkel Bødker (Den) as 3'rd R-wing (good defensively as Nielsen).
Patrick Hörnquist (Swe) as 4'th R-wing.

Left Wing:
Daniel Sedin (Sve) as 1'st L-wing (to play with the twin).
Henrik Zetterberg (Sve) as 2'nd L-wing.
Aleksander Steen (Sve) as 3'rd L-wing
Patrick Thoresen (Nor) as 4'th L-wing. (since we need a Norwegian!)

We have also Jakob Silfverberg, Gabriel Landeskog, Loui Eriksen, Lauri Korpikoski & Markus Johansson to choose from.

I have mostly chosen a veteran forward line if it was for an important championship, but especially the RW could be made with younger players without Alfredsson and Selänne.

So that was my thoughts about the forward line so far.

Sedin-Sedin-(Alfredsson)
Zetterberg-Bäckström-(Selänne)
Steen-Nielsen-Bødker
Thoresen-M.Koivu-Hörnquist
Still need a 13'th forward: Lars Eller or Jussi Jokinen!? Anyways a guy that can play more than one position.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
who would you rate as #1 goalie?

That fluctuates enormously.
Based on past performances it would be between Lundqvist and Rinne; but current form perhaps Rask would be the best choice?!
But Finland alone have so many contenders, and Sweden start to pile them up as well.

SergeiMakarovStyle

Oct 12, 2011
Mate, just... Don't even start :laugh:

I cant count the number of times we've had that discussion because of threads like this :)

You cant discuss facts. Facts are facts. Just because americans think that Norway and Denmark are cities in Sweden doesnt mean its right. Its the same with scandinavia.

"Scandinavia[a] is a historical and cultural-linguistic region in Northern Europe characterized by a common ethno-cultural Germanic heritage and related languages that includes the three kingdoms of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden"

"in English usage, it is occasionally confused with the purely geographical term Scandinavian Peninsula, which took its name from the cultural-linguistic concept."

"northern parts of Finland are situated on the Scandinavian Peninsula"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/Skandinavism.jpg

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
I don't get why someone always have to bring it up. I don't know a single soul in Denmark who'd bother tell the difference between Nordic and Skandinavian. It's academic semantics. In the real world nobody cares. Great way to derail the thread though...

To bring it back to the #1 goalie. Being super biased: Kari Lehtonen is showing why the #1 in this team could change from week to week. Right now I'd pick him. A couple of weeks ago Niemi would have been the choice. In the off season I'd gone with Lundqvist. In the playoffs Rask looked pretty darn good. Next month Pekka Rinne might be the guy.

Just throwing a player out there that could add something as a 13th forward. Patrick Berglund? Center with a 2-way game and some size. And there's some serious lack of Loui Eriksson!

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I don't get why someone always have to bring it up. I don't know a single soul in Denmark who'd bother tell the difference between Nordic and Skandinavian. It's academic semantics. In the real world nobody cares. Great way to derail the thread though...

To bring it back to the #1 goalie. Being super biased: Kari Lehtonen is showing why the #1 in this team could change from week to week. Right now I'd pick him. A couple of weeks ago Niemi would have been the choice. In the off season I'd gone with Lundqvist. In the playoffs Rask looked pretty darn good. Next month Pekka Rinne might be the guy.

Just throwing a player out there that could add something as a 13th forward. Patrick Berglund? Center with a 2-way game and some size. And there's some serious lack of Loui Eriksson!

I agree that this goalies galore makes it almost impossible to pick one.
Also you are right about Loui Eriksson, that when he is in form he is a given. It's just when I made the roster he was not really rolling in the NHL. So I based my roster on some level of routine and some level on form. So Loui Eriksen probably takes a seat on the RW - either moving out Selänne or Alfredsson on the PP.

So you think that Berglund would be better 13'th forward than Lars Eller?

SergeiMakarovStyle

Oct 12, 2011
I don't get why someone always have to bring it up. I don't know a single soul in Denmark who'd bother tell the difference between Nordic and Skandinavian. It's academic semantics.

Thats why it should be illegal to drink in public :). You danes are crazy. I have heard that you cant even understand each other, like this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

I learned that scandinavia was norway, sweden, and denmark when I was about 10 years old in school. If you cant comprehend that then you got a big problem.
Personally I look a bit longer, I ask questions about the the universe and for world peace. But hey ignorance is a bliss! Skål!

Last edited:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Thats why it should be illegal to drink in public :). You danes are crazy. I have heard that you cant even understand each other, like this video:

I learned that scandinavia was norway, sweden, and denmark when I was about 10 years old in school. If you cant comprehend that then you got a big problem.
Personally I look a bit longer, I ask questions about the the universe and for world peace. But hey ignorance is a bliss! Skål!

What? :laugh:

A) You didn't catch either my points(Perhaps they were written to ignorant), so I'm not gonna try again. Whatever gets you marshmallows toasty... :cheers:

B) I know that video. It's is great :laugh: The Norwegians got a step on us when it comes to humor.

That's the real reason you'd bring a Norwegian to a team like this - team morale ;) :sarcasm:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I know that video. It's is great :laugh: The Norwegians got a step on us when it comes to humor.

That's the real reason you'd bring a Norwegian to a team like this - team morale ;) :sarcasm:

Maybe we should hire Fleksnes as additional coach, but make sure we keep the Danish numbers "low"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkToO3tpDpQ

Apparently our language will end up as being inteligible even for Danish people - according to a Norwegian "raindeer herder" sitting in the snow with his Norwegian flag close.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN16kTUQgNM

So maybe we need a Norwegian to translate for us inside Scandinavia......

Last edited:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark

What is your purpose in this threat exactly?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

Good job kid, now go all over the hfboards, where "european hockey" is discussed and paste maps, wikipedia ect. **** to tell every one that Russia is not exactly European country!

What is your point telling Scandinavians what Scandinavia is? You think they don't know it themselves? Or you think that Finns aren't "on map" on their own cultural and geographic connections and cultural history? There is actually much more into it than your facts that you learned in school at 10 year old, but for the sake of this topic, further conversations shouldn't be started. All I say is: you think these countries are grouped together so many times even by fellow people from these countries? They share certain cultural history, for example all these countries once where one country only. Us Finns are closer to being Scandinavians, than Russians are to be Europeans. Depending on your family history, you might actually be pretty much Scandinavian in Finland, too.

Last edited:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Good job kid, now go all over the hfboards, where "european hockey" is discussed and paste maps, wikipedia ect. **** to tell every one that Russia is not exactly European country!

What is your point telling Scandinavians what Scandinavia is? You think they don't know it themselves? Or you think that Finns aren't "on map" on their own cultural and geographic connections and cultural history? There is actually much more into it than your facts that you learned in school at 10 year old, but for the sake of this topic, further conversations shouldn't be started. All I say is: you think these countries are grouped together so many times even by fellow people from these countries? They share certain cultural history, for example all these countries once where one country only. Us Finns are closer to being Scandinavians, than Russians are to be Europeans. Depending on your family history, you might actually be pretty much Scandinavian in Finland, too.

100% agreed. The will always be a bound between the countries in our region.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yei. Seems like me getting emotional makes me to do alot of typing mistakes in English. :D

:laugh: well you can throw in some Finnish curses when it gets to heated, though anything else than "perkele" you will have to translate......

Anyway to get back on the Scandinavian team maybe we could so it so each Scandinavian (inc. Finland) make one line for a unified team.

So I think Denmark currently is likely this:
Bødker - Nielsen - Hansen; Larsen-Lauridsen; Andersen

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
:laugh: well you can throw in some Finnish curses when it gets to heated, though anything else than "perkele" you will have to translate......

Anyway to get back on the Scandinavian team maybe we could so it so each Scandinavian (inc. Finland) make one line for a unified team.

So I think Denmark currently is likely this:
Bødker - Nielsen - Hansen; Larsen-Lauridsen; Andersen

This might trigger some conversation (if the other Finns find this soon), but I'll put my bid in:

Filppula - M. Koivu - J. Jokinen / Selänne (if teemu is on fire. Yeah there are soo many other picks that could do it too.)
Timonen - Pitkänen (If Pitkänen's current injury doesn't matter here)

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
For Norway it must be something like:
Since Skrøder is a bit out of usual form one could include one of the Olimb brothers (Ken-Andre or Mathis), though for bringing the routine a coach would probably include Skrøder with Thoresen+Zuccarello.

Thoresen - Olimb - Zuccarello or Skrøder - Thoresen - Zuccarello
Tollefsen - Holøs, Haugen

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
(If Pitkänen's current injury doesn't matter here)

If you count him out who would you substitute with. Is Vatanen ready or still to young?
Well you probably would go for a heavy framed d-man, so Vatanen is likely more a substitute for Timmonen?

Otherwise seems to be a generation hole when it comes to Finnish d-men. Salo & Timmonen close to 40, and though talented d-men is one the way it must be rare to see so few finnish d-men in NHL (5).

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
If you count him out who would you substitute with. Is Vatanen ready or still to young?
Well you probably would go for a heavy framed d-man, so Vatanen is likely more a substitute for Timmonen?

Otherwise seems to be a generation hole when it comes to Finnish d-men. Salo & Timmonen close to 40, and though talented d-men is one the way it must be rare to see so few finnish d-men in NHL (5).

I respect being able to play in the NHL very much, so I could actually end up choosing Määttä. Right now, its really tough call to take him, but after year probably much easier. He was able to crack in very tough Penguins line up as 18 year old right from the start.. Deserves some respect, and when Finnish D-man situation is what it is, I don't think it's that far fetched. He has size and he's good with the puck just like Pitkänen, good overall Dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad