Player Discussion: All purpose: Zach Werenski thread.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Next year having Peeke and Gavrikov along with Jones/Murray and Werenski/Nutivaara we can be a literal brick wall. Makes Savard movable and being a RHD on a good deal only makes it better.
I've been one of the most vocal advocates of Werenski since he was a freshman at Michigan. But I'm very worried he's not gonna figure it out defensively. I'm seeing way too much Matt Carle in his game right now, he should be past that. Frankly, if they can't keep Panarin, they should look into moving Zach in the offseason in order to get help up front. And I wouldn't be against it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've been one of the most vocal advocates of Werenski since he was a freshman at Michigan. But I'm very worried he's not gonna figure it out defensively. I'm seeing way too much Matt Carle in his game right now, he should be past that. Frankly, if they can't keep Panarin, they should look into moving Zach in the offseason in order to get help up front. And I wouldn't be against it.
Matt Carle never managed to score at the rate Werenski does. And - again - he's only 21. I remain largely unconcerned.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Matt Carle never managed to score at the rate Werenski does. And - again - he's only 21. I remain largely unconcerned.

I meant on the defensive end, Carle wasn't the offensive player Zach is, you are right. After making errors in his own end over and over, Carle lost some of his offensive flair, I think he got scared to do it.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

Move him in the offseason...to wing

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Zach took a big leap forward in his defensive play in the year after his draft year. He might be able to take another step. I think there's room for growth, mentally and physically.

We shouldn't expect 21 year old D to be very good defensively. A lot of it is just experience. And he should have more motivation to learn now that he knows his minutes aren't guaranteed. He's never had his minutes threatened before, not in the NHL.

I'm wondering if he can work on core strength and quickness more next offseason. (I remember saying this a year ago, and he doesn't look any better, perhaps the arm in a sling was an issue). He's a big muscly guy, with powerful strides. But the quick small movements to adjust angles is what he needs, and the quick down and up off the ice too. You can't get those with upper body workouts.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I said the same thing in a post several days ago. And it’s not because I don’t like Zach - I do. But he’s the one player who can get a high return and he’s more valuable in the market than he is to the Jackets under current conditions.

Reactions: The Bread Man

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I like Zach as much as any athlete that came from that school up north and WANT him to be a legit #2 that they can count on. Not giving up on that now.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Werenski for Nylander.

Not that we wouldn't benefit from this redistribution of our assets, but I think Zach is worth more. We're just picking at warts here, he's still a top pair D-man with #1D upside. But if the Leafs add...

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I just don't think that it's reasonable to make an assessment on Werenski's long term defensive ability yet.

He's a 21 year old 2 1/4 year pro who was designated a Tortarover. Probably not the best way to develop at the NHL level from a defensive standpoint:laugh:

He probably needs to be restrained offensively at this point to maximize his long term potential. Playing a more conservative offensive game for the next year or so won't detract from his organic offensive abilities. The short term loss of offensive output will be well worth it.

Reactions: cslebn and Viqsi

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not sure why we're talking about trading Werenski in the PLD thread, but...

Trading Werenski would be a massive MASSIVE mistake. It's not bad to have great defenseman. Murray, while playing great, isn't to be counted on with his injury history, and Nutivaara at his best isn't what Werenski is at his best. We can keep all of them, and develop our own forwards.

I double down on this if we manage to keep Panarin.

Hipster Letestu

Aug 2, 2009
Westerville
Only going to mention this in the PLD thread since others are. Trading Werenski right now would be a massive mistake. Zach is 6' 2" 220 lbs and has the offensive skills of a high-end winger. The team need to be willing to attempt to develop his defensive game to round him out. You don't just trade away someone like that unless the player coming back the other way is equally as impressive. If Zach rounds out his game he has a chance to be an amazing player. I haven't seen Nylander play much, but if Toronto is willing to let him go I can't imagine they see the same for him.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Not that we wouldn't benefit from this redistribution of our assets, but I think Zach is worth more. We're just picking at warts here, he's still a top pair D-man with #1D upside. But if the Leafs add...
I’m been saying Gardiner / Nylander for Zach and Milano . Lots of speculation that Gardiner may not be in Toronto’s future , as they have a lot of younger cheaper options about ready for prime time

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I’m been saying Gardiner / Nylander for Zach and Milano . Lots of speculation that Gardiner may not be in Toronto’s future , as they have a lot of younger cheaper options about ready for prime time

If Toronto has better options than paying Gardiner, then we should even more so. He'd be awfully expensive for a guy who wouldn't be one of our top D. He'd be a useful rental but that's not much of a plus in a Werenski deal.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Since Z seems to be a hot topic these days around our board, here’s the all purpose thread for Z man.

Ready, set, chat.

Reactions: Viqsi

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Z’s stats thru 21 games:

4 goals. (Tied for 7th)
9 assists. (Tied for 3rd)
13 points. (Fourth)
-3. (2nd worst)
22:04 TOI (2nd most of all d-men).

——————

Z is on pace for:

11 goals
26 assists
37 points.

37 points would tie his point total last year.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
You don't just trade away someone like that unless the player coming back the other way is equally as impressive.
I agree, but if anyone on our roster could fetch such a player it'd be Werenski.

And yeah, Nylander would be a bad return.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
3 big defensive lapses in 3 games in a row, 3rd time it finally cost us a game/point.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
The thing that irks me is Z’s ice time. So. Damn. Inconsistent.

Dallas: 18:40
Washington: 13:21
NYR: 19:51
@Dal: 14:27
FLA: 20:05
@car: 16:07
@TOR: 20:53

Sickening

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
The thing that irks me is Z’s ice time. So. Damn. Inconsistent.
Sickening

Dallas: 18:40 - 3 goal lead, kinda comfortable but still 1 period to play
Washington: 13:21 - 1 goal game, trying to hold the lead
NYR: 19:51 - trying to score in 3rd
@Dal: 14:27- 1 goal game, trying to hold the lead
FLA: 20:05 - trying to score in 3rd
@car: 16:07 - 3 goal lead, kinda comfortable but still 1 period to play
@TOR: 20:53 - trying to score in 3rd

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Dallas: 18:40 - 3 goal lead, kinda comfortable but still 1 period to play