All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIV: Okay, but now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I mean from what I have heard I have absolutely no reason to doubt that Jarvis will be very strong on his skates soon, he just needs to go through another year or 2 of offseason workouts to strengthen up.

And low-key, I think KK is going to be a beast in a year or 2. His skating this year was a significant improvement over last year, and another offseason regiment with us and I think he'll really come into his own full time next year. I absolutely loved the frustration he showed this series, it shows he cares, and we need someone like that in the locker room. The way this year played out for him, I'm really glad we have him locked up for another 7 years at the price we do.
Not gonna lie, KK has quickly become one of my favorite players. The guy is built for the playoffs, just needs to get a bit stronger and better on his skates, which he quite visibly was doing as this season progressed.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Not gonna lie, KK has quickly become one of my favorite players. The guy is built for the playoffs, just needs to get a bit stronger and better on his skates, which he quite visibly was doing as this season progressed.
What did he do for his ice time to drop so much in games 3 and 4?

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Slavin as captain for me. Aho was invisible in two series again this year. Despite his career playoff points totals he isn’t a guy who steps it up when the going gets tough. He let his frustration and emotions get the best of him against Florida and really was not noticeable for many positive reasons.
While I'm not sure I agree about Aho's disappearance act in the playoffs being enough reason to not give him the C, I do agree that I think Slavin should get the C after Staal retires (or we don't resign him; which I doubt happens).

Aho certainly is a leader, but I just get the impression that being a captain is a more natural fit for Slavin. Also, yes, Slavin is a very consistently good player even if he's not one of the most flashy players.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
And less than 12 minutes on the PK in the regular season.
Jarvis played more on the PK than Kotkaniemi.

If he's going to take on the Jordan Staal role long term, I think they would want to see more PK duty from him.
Honest question, is that because he's not trusted with it, or because, at least when it comes to being on the PK, he's not getting ice time above Aho or Jordo, regardless of what we think of his abilities

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Honest question, is that because he's not trusted with it, or because, at least when it comes to being on the PK, he's not getting ice time above Aho or Jordo, regardless of what we think of his abilities
Probably a mix of both. Plus it ensures having multiple fresh center options on the ice right after the PK ends.

Edit: Actually, probably mostly the later given he was setup with Martinook and Fast to be a second matchup center against New Jersey. Now some of that is also I'm sure that Rod wants to keep Aho free to just play offense but there has to be some sense of defensive trust there.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think it's more the second and that his line would often be the first one back out after the PK. Although Kotkaniemi not being a quick player probably factors into PK as well.

That said, it's an open question as those 11:51 on the PK are 8 minutes more than he played on the PK in his career before this year. Combined.

Reactions: zman77

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think it's more the second and that his line would often be the first one back out after the PK. Although Kotkaniemi not being a quick player probably factors into PK as well.

That said, it's an open question as those 11:51 on the PK are 8 minutes more than he played on the PK in his career before this year. Combined.
Well, to be fair, last year he'd have to have played above 2 of Aho, Jordo and Tro to get PK ice time, and before that he played for a team that nobody has ever accused of having good asset management.

Edit: Actually, probably mostly the later given he was setup with Martinook and Fast to be a second matchup center against New Jersey. Now some of that is also I'm sure that Rod wants to keep Aho free to just play offense but there has to be some sense of defensive trust there.
This is actually my exact thinking about this. Its telling that against NJ he was positioned to be centering what was effectively our 1b defensive matchup against their attack. You wouldn't do that with someone you don't trust to play a solid defensive game.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
I don’t have experience in playing hockey like many here. My sport was basketball & I equate a good Powerplay like an efficient motion offense in basketball.

Teams with a great motion O move the ball around the umbrella looking for an opening, many times using skip/crosscourt passes to catch defenders off guard & getting them out of position, in order to create that weakness to exploit. In the paint, there’s always someone ready for a putback, if needed. Players on the strong side & weak side, both, are always moving, brushing off defenders to create space for themselves.

Someone that stands around dribbling the ball, with no real movement allows the defenders to dictate what is available to the offense, instead of the other way around.

I see our players the vast majority of the time just “dribbling the ball” around with no real definitive/decisive cross ice passing causing those needed defensive breakdowns. If the defense & their goalie aren’t having to move much & you don’t have a Pasta or Ovi that can put it wherever, whenever they want, you just aren’t going to be consistently good at the Powerplay.

When we’ve moved the puck quickly around & across the ice successfully, the results are obvious.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Everything here:

We don't use the bumper.... And there's no forwards who can rip the puck. 100%

No seam passes

It's all weak sauce mostly

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Saw this just now...

Fast is gone for much more than that. Although an open spot on the 4th line wouldn't be bad.

I doubt they pay Gostistbehere that much to play 3rd pair unless they plan for him to be a bridge between Skjei and Nikishin. Might even be able to save a little more on the 3rd pairing to upgrade from Zucker to Killorn.

That said, it's not bad in total.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
He went to the top of my last after he ethered that stick after a tough loss.

I don't want guys that love to win. I want guys that *f***ing hate to lose*.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Saw this just now...

Unless Staal takes a serious discount which to be fair he probably shouldn't, I would move on. I'd also dangle Pesce to see what he could return. I'd like Fast back but he's going to be way overpaid based on his postseason play, I doubt we are the ones to pay him. Also there's no way we pay Ghost 4 mill to play on the 3rd pair. Acquiring Lindholm seems unlikely as well. Zucker is meh.

Other than that, solidly mediocre lineup.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Saw this just now...

I don't... not like it, I guess.

I think relying on both Svechnikov and Pacioretty to be in the lineup is probably tempting fate, and that team looks a lot worse with Noesen and Drury in it than Svech and Pacioretty. But it's certainly a way to fill out the roster and add a few pieces. I think with the amount of cap space we have it's a bit underwhelming if I'm honest. Not the biggest Zucker fan.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Sabres fan here with a few questions:

1) which goalie would Carolina fans prefer to retain, Raanta or Andersen?

2) do you believe Carolina will re-sign one of them?

3) I wonder if Buffalo could trade for rights to whichever goalie Carolina does not prefer to sign (figure something like a 5th round pick or equivalent prospect)

4) any interest in Olofsson? He’s got a bit of a heavy cap hit ($4.7M) but only has 1yr left and could add a solid PP option. And even did solid 5v5 for goals this yr. Had 28 goals, and 21 came at 5v5. He’s a 1-trick pony no doubt about that but he’s good at that trick.

Thanks in advance.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Saw this just now...

Meh TT isn’t playing third line and I’m still seeing a big lack in toughness again. That lineup gets pushed around as much as this one did. Also believe at least 1 of Suzuki ponomarev or Rees is gonna get a shot. All 3 deserve a hard look imo and if your not gonna trade them for more ready Nhl pieces then I don’t get why they would just keep burying them in the ahl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad