All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
This echoed what TD said on The Morning Skate today - said we will likely never be an exciting trade deadline team - more of fringe player for a good deal because he's not willing to borrow from the future.

Never is a strong word, but yes, I think that the Canes like building from within Winnipeg-style.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
This echoed what TD said on The Morning Skate today - said we will likely never be an exciting trade deadline team - more of fringe player for a good deal because he's not willing to borrow from the future.
Solid strategy.

we have Aho, Svech, Turbo, Necas, Hamilton, Slavin, and Pesce as our franchise players. We will need to supplement them with ELC players built from within the system.

Just got to get the goalie situation under control.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Solid strategy.

we have Aho, Svech, Turbo, Necas, Hamilton, Slavin, and Pesce as our franchise players. We will need to supplement them with ELC players built from within the system.

Just got to get the goalie situation under control.

IDK what the Borg is thinking, of course, but I'm still skeptical that Dougie extends with us unless he accepts a lowball (for a UFA of his caliber) extension. There's a pretty solid reason, IMO, why they are stacking up the RHD high in Charlotte RN. It's good depth, of course, however, I think that it is also insurance in the scenario that Dougie's demands are so wildly high that a sign-and-trade makes more sense than extending him and sacrificing team depth. Svech and Necas can easily be extended without any impact on team depth because their extensions are essentially baked into the cake via graduated cap ceiling increases and that empty cap void also known as the Marleau buyout space.

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Like the not drafting defense in the 1st round remark, I don't believe it. Trading a premium asset for a rental doesn't make sense at this time, but the competitive situation and roster will change over time. If there's a deadline piece in the future that puts this team over the top, the allure of the Cup will overcome any guiding organizational philosophy.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Like the not drafting defense in the 1st round remark, I don't believe it. Trading a premium asset for a rental doesn't make sense at this time, but the competitive situation and roster will change over time. If there's a deadline piece in the future that puts this team over the top, the allure of the Cup will overcome any guiding organizational philosophy.

Yes, I agree with that: there will eventually be a scenario in some draft, probably not this draft, but sometime soon, where the BPA at our slot is so obviously a defenseman that it would be foolish to pass on a swing. The same will be the case at a future trade deadline if the Canes are a true top-tier contender. Right now, yes, they are contenders for sure, but it's an insane scrum at the top of the Metro like usual.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
IDK what the Borg is thinking, of course, but I'm still skeptical that Dougie extends with us unless he accepts a lowball (for a UFA of his caliber) extension.
TD also spoke of the value of certain players as marketing assets and as having a big role in contributing to the growth (along with winning) of the organization. How their fan engagement and accessibility has helped expand the reach. Specifically, he mentioned Aho, Svech, and Dougie. The extent of the Dougie love has surprised him. Maybe he will be worth a few extra dollars to avoid POing his audience.

Reactions: cptjeff

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Call me naive, but I’m not really concerned about them re-upping Hamilton at all at this point. That could change if his ask starts north of $10M, but I think they do what they need to keep him and negotiations go smoother than anticipated.

I say that now, but watch them turn around and trade him for Barrie and Kapanen on deadline day or some other crazy shit like that...

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Call me naive, but I’m not really concerned about them re-upping Hamilton at all at this point. That could change if his ask starts north of $10M, but I think they do what they need to keep him and negotiations go smoother than anticipated.

I say that now, but watch them turn around and trade him for Barrie and Kapanen on deadline day or some other crazy **** like that...

LOL, that would be crazy. On a more realistic note, it's more likely that the offseason negotiations have a 50/50 shot of working or not. If they do, we'll have Dougie locked up at a reasonably fair AAV for 7-8 years relative to the market. If not, I'm pretty sure that we'll get a Zegras, a Heinola, or a Caufield as sign-and-trade compensation. I'm really not too worried either way.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Here's a crazy idea:

Canes: Edmundson, NYR 2nd
Rangers: Georgiev, MStaal
Rangers get a salary benefit next year, their 2nd back this year which should be pretty good, and make room for their superstar rookie between the pipes. The Canes get a solid, if not a bit slow, defensive defenseman and a very good young goalie for the long term. Salary should be doable this year as we approach the deadline and next year. We'd have to move Reimer at some point, probably at a small loss.

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Here's a crazy idea:

Canes: Edmundson, NYR 2nd
Rangers: Georgiev, MStaal
Rangers get a salary benefit next year, their 2nd back this year which should be pretty good, and make room for their superstar rookie between the pipes. The Canes get a solid, if not a bit slow, defensive defenseman and a very good young goalie for the long term. Salary should be doable this year as we approach the deadline and next year. We'd have to move Reimer at some point, probably at a small loss.

Would rather just pay a 2nd for Georgiev and not downgrade Edmundson while adding $3 million in Cap.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Would rather just pay a 2nd for Georgiev and not downgrade Edmundson while adding $3 million in Cap.

I'm extremely high on Georgiev. That trade that @MinJerkBen posted was borderline-unfair for the Rangers. Georgiev would cost way more than a 2nd without taking on the Staal contract. I'm talking Ned/Suzuki/2020 1st level compensation. Georgiev is a very young goalie who's already performing pretty well against the best in the world. He may still be worth a 1st with Staal's contract attached to him.

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I'm extremely high on Georgiev. That trade that @MinJerkBen posted was borderline-unfair for the Rangers. Georgiev would cost way more than a 2nd without taking on the Staal contract. I'm talking Ned/Suzuki/2020 1st level compensation. Georgiev is a very young goalie who's already performing pretty well against the best in the world. He may still be worth a 1st with Staal's contract attached to him.

If Georgiev is a target, why not move Ned for him as part of a package? I agree it’d take another significant piece, maybe on the Bean/Gauthier level plus requisite cap dump. I don’t like the idea of giving up Suzuki or a 2020 1st for a guy like Georgiev. I don’t see a future for Bean and to a lesser extent Gauthier in CAR, so I’m more apt to include them in a package versus Suzuki, who I think will be very good or a 1st in this coming draft.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

I don't see why he would cost that much but maybe I just haven't watched him enough. Georgiev's stats aren't nearly as good as peak seasons that Martin Jones and Cory Schneider had before being dealt for a 1st. He's never put up better than a 0.918 sv% over a year and currently has a 0.909 sv% with a 3.17 GAA. Reimer has better numbers. Of course Georgiev is likely better than Reimer but the numbers are what they are.

Marc Staal has another year left at $5.7 million in Cap. That contract is just as bad as Marleau's and ditching it would likely cost a 1st by itself. I find it hard to believe Georgiev is worth two 1sts.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Slavin is perfect for that, even if it means we are getting a little less out of Slavin. I just don't know that if we get more from Slavin by putting Pesce with him, does it make up for what we lose in Dougie, either because he now has to be more conservative without Slavin and/or he now bleeds goals without Slavin.

I agree with this....plus I think Slavin not only covers for Dougie defensively, not only allows Dougie to play a more free-wheeling style, I believe he actually "helps" him defensively whether through modeling certain skill sets or whatever (I'd argue Dougie is better in the stick checking department this season, for example).

Moreover, if by "getting a little less" out of Slavin you mean, "on pace for 40 point Slavin with a near league leading +/- vs. 31 point Slavin with a 0 +/- (or 30 point Slavin with a +1 +/- which is where he was in the 17-18 season, really his last paired with Pesce full time) then I'll take a little less out of Jaccob :D.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Speaking of goaltenders, I wonder if the front office have though about/are thinking about trying to bring Gibson in from Anaheim at some point. With Mrazek and Reimer being out of contract 18 months from now, I think there’s an argument to be made that we might try and go big fish hunting at that point, at least pre July 1.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Anaheim is in transition, but he's young enough (26) and under contract for long enough (7 more seasons) to be there on the other side. Maybe avoiding his trade clause kicking in Summer of 2021 motivates a deal at that point, but I'm in believe it when I see it mode on that one. You give up that type of goaltending and you may not come across it again for a long time. This franchise has been looking for that for nearly a decade; Ward 2010-2011 was the last time you could say the goalie was a strength of the club.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Speaking of goaltenders, I wonder if the front office have though about/are thinking about trying to bring Gibson in from Anaheim at some point. With Mrazek and Reimer being out of contract 18 months from now, I think there’s an argument to be made that we might try and go big fish hunting at that point, at least pre July 1.
They would be extremely foolish to move him at his age and contract status. He's probably the most untouchable piece on their whole team.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
A big reason why our organization has been status-quo on goaltending is that the goalie market is generally the most slow-moving one in the league. Very few teams are willing to move goaltenders at the deadline because of team chemistry concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad