All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread Pt 10 (45 Days to the Trade Deadline)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Thoughts on Gauthier + Buffalo 3rd for Georgiev?

One Rangers fan suggested:
Gauthier + NYR 2nd for Georgiev + NYR 3rd

I know that the fans would be down with that, but IDK if the Rangers FO would be down with that. Rangers actually have a lot of leverage in a Georgiev trade, because Shestyorkin is exempt from the Expansion Draft and Henrik only has a year left. They could very well convince Henrik to waive his NMC if Carolina's the team that wants him. Remember, we're a very good team this year, so our situation would have a lot of appeal for both him and us as a rental + 1.

Reactions: cptjeff

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Thoughts on Gauthier + Buffalo 3rd for Georgiev?

One Rangers fan suggested:
Gauthier + NYR 2nd for Georgiev + NYR 3rd

Gauthier has developed just about as well as he could have as a mid/late 1st up to this point. I don't see why Georgiev would require 1st round value, much less adding on top of that. I've seen plenty of NYR fans hoping for a 2nd round pick back. With Shesterkin playing well NYR is stuck with a 3 goalie tandem. They aren't in a position of power.

Cam Talbot had two seasons as a backup with a 0.941 sv% (over 21 games) and a 0.926 sv% (over 36 games) before returning a very late 2nd (#57) + 3rd. Georgiev doesn't have anything close to those numbers.

I'd do Jack Drury (or NYR's 2nd) + 3rd round pick

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Gauthier has developed just about as well as he could have as a mid/late 1st up to this point. I don't see why Georgiev would require 1st round value, much less adding on top of that. I've seen plenty of NYR fans hoping for a 2nd round pick back. With Shesterkin playing well NYR is stuck with a 3 goalie tandem. They aren't in a position of power.

Cam Talbot had two seasons as a backup with a 0.941 sv% (over 21 games) and a 0.926 sv% (over 36 games) before returning a very late 2nd (#57) + 3rd. Georgiev doesn't have anything close to those numbers.

Cam Talbot was 28 years old and had one year left before UFA.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

Bad deal. Jack Drury's a Harvard boy, so they can sign him for free in 2 years :nod::sarcasm:

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
While I'd still like to see what Ned has at the NHL level, I'd be very intrigued by Georgiev. A goalie who puts up solid numbers on a team that doesn't know how to play defense is very interesting to me.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Cam Talbot was 28 years old and had one year left before UFA.

Fair enough but it's the same story across the board. Any young backup goalie who returned a 1st round pick (Martin Jones, Schneider, Lehner) had better numbers and/or better draft pedigree. Georgiev's current numbers are worse than James Reimer. His 0.914 sv% and 2.91 GAA in 33 NHL games last year were decent but he also had a 0.883 sv% in the AHL over 11 games. Before shelling out a 1st round pick (or equivalent) I'd rather see the Canes give a similar caliber goalie prospect in Nedeljkovic his own shot.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Don’t get me wrong I don’t really want to trade for Georgiev because I don’t necessarily know that he’s going to be better than a Mrazek caliber starter. I just think Cam Talbot is very much the wrong comparable.

Goalies are voodoo and if we’re going to get into the business of giving up assets for one we should be as confident in their capabilities as possible. I’d rather trade 2 1sts and Kuokkanen for John Gibson than like a 2nd and 3rd for Georgiev.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I really don't know why Henrik isn't passed around more often as a goalie option for Carolina. Yes, he's in the twilight phase of his career, but he's still a really good player and he has yet to win a Cup. You would think that he would love to play for a true Cup contender for the remaining 2 seasons of his contract. To me, he would be the perfect bridge between our platoon and Nedeljkovic.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I really don't know why Henrik isn't passed around more often as a goalie option for Carolina. Yes, he's in the twilight phase of his career, but he's still a really good player and he has yet to win a Cup. You would think that he would love to play for a true Cup contender for the remaining 2 seasons of his contract.

He is quite good in games in which the Carolina Hurricanes are playing. But Hank isn’t coming here.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
He is quite good in games in which the Carolina Hurricanes are playing. But Hank isn’t coming here.

My question is why not? The Rangers aren't contender-caliber yet and likely won't be by the time he retires, and there's two highly-touted young goalies behind him. Why wouldn't he waive for Carolina, where he would be the sure-fire #1 for the remainder of his career, however long that he can play at an elite level.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I really don't know why Henrik isn't passed around more often as a goalie option for Carolina. Yes, he's in the twilight phase of his career, but he's still a really good player and he has yet to win a Cup. You would think that he would love to play for a true Cup contender for the remaining 2 seasons of his contract.

With Lundqvist I'd just guess the odds of him waiving for Carolina are ~1%. It's a fun thought but I don't see Carolina being that appealing for him. I see him riding it out in NYR and retiring at the end of next year.

from last year: (The Rangers reportedly offered to trade Henrik Lundqvist at the deadline, but he said no)
"We told Hank that if he didn't want to ride it out through this process, we'd find a good landing place for him," [Garden executive chairman Jim] Dolan said during a conversation at his MSG office. "But he said that he wanted to stay and see it through.
"I'm very happy that's the way he feels. I think with him at the top of his game, that gives us our best chance of competing for a playoff spot next year."

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I really don't know why Henrik isn't passed around more often as a goalie option for Carolina. Yes, he's in the twilight phase of his career, but he's still a really good player and he has yet to win a Cup. You would think that he would love to play for a true Cup contender for the remaining 2 seasons of his contract. To me, he would be the perfect bridge between our platoon and Nedeljkovic.
The reason he's not talked about is because he isn't leaving NY. He likes the big city and has full control over where he goes. Only way he's not playing there next year is if the Rangers buy him out. I doubt they do that to Hank.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

A) Hank decides where Hank will play.
B) All of the same goes for Corey Crawford, as well, except that he's won Cups.

Reactions: DaveG

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Not that they'd be able to do it in-season, but how about not going down the could be starter road again? Holtby (even despite his mid-career lull), Lehner and Markstrom are legit starters and are unsigned at this point. There are only so many starter slots, and the contracts that go with them, available. With the team being competitive, they should have a good shot at landing the goalie of their choosing.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
With Lundqvist I'd just guess the odds of him waiving for Carolina are ~1%. It's a fun thought but I don't see Carolina being that appealing for him. I see him riding it out in NYR and retiring at the end of next year.

from last year: (The Rangers reportedly offered to trade Henrik Lundqvist at the deadline, but he said no)

Many things have changed since the last time that they tried to trade Henrik, though. Carolina, at the time, was a bubble team with a chance to make the playoffs. Today, we are a contending team who has been to the ECF and has one of the deeper rosters in hockey outside of goaltending. We're a considerably more appealing option to players than we were even at this point last year. That's the only reason that I'm even talking about Hank.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Many things have changed since the last time that they tried to trade Henrik, though. Carolina, at the time, was a bubble team with a chance to make the playoffs. Today, we are a contending team who has been to the ECF and has one of the deeper rosters in hockey outside of goaltending. We're a considerably more appealing option to player than we were even at this point last year.

It’s not about us though, it’s not like he was like “I want to leave NYR but Carolina isn’t good.” It wasn’t about trading him here, it was about trading him in general. 2 years ago or whenever that was there were other good teams he could’ve gone to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad