All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread Part VII - The Steals Weren't There

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
In case Montreal matches, do we try to give Palmieri a 5+ 1 year deal? Trade for Hertl? I guess Tarasenko, although that is more risky than the OS.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
We are in the top 8 of Pronman’s “U23 Team Rankings”, he’s through #9 at this point and we still don’t have a profile.

Im guessing a lot of this is on the strength of Necas and Svech. Wonder if we jump up if we end up with KK.
Pronman, in the comments, said it wouldnt make much of a difference.

Reactions: Tryamw

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
With Beauviller getting 4.1 million, I don’t see Palmeiri fitting into their cap structure. They have 5.3 million left with Sorokin to re-sign as well.

Boychuk to LTIRetirement. You forgot that. If they bury Komarov and Johnston in the AHL as injury replacements, they'll also have room for Parise, Zajac, and a LHD for trade (potentially with Seattle).

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
And there you go. Sorokin (3x4), Beauvillier (3x4.1), Palmieri (4x5), and Cizikas (6x2.5) all get extensions at once. Pretty sure that these deals were delayed because of the RFA pacts taking some time to come together. Looks like Palmieri (in terms of years) and Cizikas (in terms of AAV) both took discounts of sorts to stick with a likely perennial contender.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
With Aho, Tevo, Svech, signed at least through the 23/24 season. Necas is locked up through those dates as an RFA, and with the signing of J/K (whom we may have an agreement with for more years to come). It leaves the Canes in a tough but envious situation, we have more talent than room on our team. If we re-sign Trocheck, which most seem to want, who are the Canes willing to trade in the immediate future to improve our team now.

we have
Jarvis - 19 years of age - untouchable
Suzuki- 20 years of age - 95% untouchable
Leaving the canes with
Bokk - 21 years old
Cotton - 24 years old
Rees - 20 years old
Tieksola - 20 years old

These are players who the canes may like to keep but will there be room for? Based on there age, these young guns will need to find an NHL lineup soon or risk being lost in the minors forever

So who would you be willing to package for what player?

would you package a Rees and Bokk plus Chicago’s 3rd to AZ for Dvorak and undercut the Habs again? Or something else? Would a Dvorak help the Canes?
Am I right on who is/should be considered tradable with our young guns?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Personally, I think both Trocheck and Niederreiter walk or are traded. Hamilton’s “replacements” are costing $2M and $1M against the cap this year. That will NOT be the case next year. They’re going to have to pay one or both of Bear/DeAngelo along with Necas. Or, they’ll have to go out and sign or trade for another top 4 RD, not cheap.

Next year will be the year that the prospect pool will have to prove its worth with the team really needing to replenish the roster with players on ELCs.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Personally, I think both Trocheck and Niederreiter walk or are traded. Hamilton’s “replacements” are costing $2M and $1M against the cap this year. That will NOT be the case next year. They’re going to have to pay one or both of Bear/DeAngelo along with Necas.

Next year will be the year that the prospect pool will have to prove its worth with the team really needing to replenish the roster with players on ELCs.
Yea, unless he signs for a 1-2 yr extension I think the plan would be to have him pave the way for a youngster to step in as 3C next year w/Jordo as 2C, hoping they can flip-flop through the season.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
If both Nino and Trocheck walk, then they won't necessarily need any ELC guys even with the Necas/Bear/KK extensions (DeAngelo should be reasonably inexpensive to extend even with a good year because of a depressed, off-ice related market). I think that if the FO deems both Jarvis and Drury to be NHL-ready, however, they'll extend one of the two.

Last edited:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Nevertheless, there is a bit of risk that we have to swallow when we pencil in lineups in future years. There will be players we can't afford, period. Our model of running a team I think precludes us from signing Trocheck next year, as it did Hamilton this year. (I could be wrong, but I see another team offering Troch $7.5M on a 3-4 year deal or $6.5M or $7M on a 6-7 year deal. I just don't think we'll pony up that cheddar. Niederreiter won't have as much interest, and it's possible he'll take a pay cut to stay.

Down the line, we're looking to constantly funnel in and out talent at a low cost. I'm trying to get more comfortable with not keeping the band together, because evidently we aren't. I could envision in 5 years, of the current team, we only have Aho, Necas, Svechnikov, and Slavin. A good team thinks that far ahead with draft picks. The 2021 draftees should be ready to go, theoretically, by age 23.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Nevertheless, there is a bit of risk that we have to swallow when we pencil in lineups in future years. There will be players we can't afford, period. Our model of running a team I think precludes us from signing Trocheck next year, as it did Hamilton this year. (I could be wrong, but I see another team offering Troch $7.5M on a 3-4 year deal or $6.5M or $7M on a 6-7 year deal. I just don't think we'll pony up that cheddar. Niederreiter won't have as much interest, and it's possible he'll take a pay cut to stay.

Down the line, we're looking to constantly funnel in and out talent at a low cost. I'm trying to get more comfortable with not keeping the band together, because evidently we aren't. I could envision in 5 years, of the current team, we only have Aho, Necas, Svechnikov, and Slavin. A good team thinks that far ahead with draft picks. The 2021 draftees should be ready to go, theoretically, by age 23.

I think the goal is that eventually, you DO have a sustainable long-term core of players. The fact that they signed Svech for 8 seasons is a big indicator that they do want that core group. I think that in the short-and-medium term, however, the mission is to have offseasons where you unfortunately turn over pieces of your roster that won't sign to certain cap hits, but with the end result of generating cap space and opportunities to acquire those core pieces, either though development, trade, or (potentially) this offer sheet.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
My personal guess is that next offseason, the Canes will extend Nino and let Trocheck get his big cash in free agency. Seth Jarvis, Dominik Bokk, or Ryan Suzuki will take his place in the top-6 and Kotkaniemi will be the 2C. I think that Bear and DeAngelo will both play well enough to secure short-to-medium-term extensions, around the 2-4 year range, but it also wouldn't surprise me if one or both are dealt to make room for another major splash. Finally, it would not shock me to see both Necas and Kotkaniemi getting 8-year pacts.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
My personal guess is that next offseason, the Canes will extend Nino and let Trocheck get his big cash in free agency. Seth Jarvis, Dominik Bokk, or Ryan Suzuki will take his place in the top-6 and Kotkaniemi will be the 2C. I think that Bear and DeAngelo will both play well enough to secure short-to-medium-term extensions, around the 2-4 year range, but it also wouldn't surprise me if one or both are dealt to make room for another major splash. Finally, it would not shock me to see both Necas and Kotkaniemi getting 8-year pacts.
Wait....JK is now getting an 8 year extension you say? By January?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I believe that Rod and Don both want a solid young core around which to build. Today that core consists of Aho, Teravainen, Svechnikov, Necas, Slavin, and Pesce. Staal and Skjei are outliers, but I could see the latter also being considered part of that crowd if his play continues from last season. We all know that Jordan's key quality, besides his defense, is his quiet leadership. Something that Rod himself displayed. But he's getting longer in the tooth, hence my consideration of him as an outlier.

Guys like Trocheck and Niederreiter are the mercenary types that the team needs, but likely will rotate in and out until our newer, ELC talent is good enough to take their place. Jarvis, Drury, Rees, Tieksola, Honka, Nikishin, Seeley, Bokk, and Ponamarev are that next wave of talent followed by guys like Morrow, Heimosalmi, and Koivunen represent what follows. Wild cards like Gunler, Murray, and Wall are just that, unknowns.

This is a long winded way to say, that over the next few years, as we add young guys like Kokaniemi, other guys will be shipped out to make room for what we hope will be higher end talent. I think, in the end, we could end up with a roster that has over 50% of the players being Canes draft and developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad