Indy: All-Purpose Non-WWE Discussion Thread -- Part 3 [Impact coming to AXS in October]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
@quoipourquoi
The Summit

summit.jpg

Reactions: quoipourquoi

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ibushi vs. Jay White in the G1 final

Ooooooooof
Dave and Bryan were talking about the other shows going on in the Toronto area this week/weekend, and he said there's a lot of these shows that really did not do well at all. Some of these promotions thought there would be people making the trip and that just doesn't really happen for SummerSlam.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I love the Ibushi-Naito rivalry but man is there going to be a strong reaction from that crowd over the result in the final. They'll either hate Jay winning or the roof will blow off when Ibushi has a mega-babyface moment.

I think since they went with a lot more legit current stars and less of the aging legends...I can understand there being a lot of parity in the tournament. They had all the scenarios laid out for today but somehow I figured they'd make that final match winner-take-all. To his credit, Taichi was really good and they put Archer over big as well. Would've loved Suzuki in this field but no complaints otherwise.

Top 5 (personal) favorite G1 29 matches:
1. Ibushi-Ospreay
2. Naito-Takagi
3. Sanada-Okada
4. Moxley-Ishii
5. Cobb-Ishii

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Oh my God that whole show was amazing. The KENTA-Shibata was the greatest angle I've seen in wrestling in forever. And the freaking main event, just WOW.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
toronto sales for ROH show:

View attachment 248919
I counted about 75 tickets sold.

Also was at the Smash supershow on Friday and it was real good. The mystery box (basically a feast or fired match) was probably the most incredible comedy match ever. I didn't know very many guys on the Smash roster but they were almost all really good with the only bad match being the opener with Veda Scott vs some woman doing a skater punk gimmick (wasn't far off from Gayda-Trish level bad as they were botching everything). Also Psycho Mike is the greatest gimmick ever, he needs to get signed by a major promotion. Attendance was roughly 240, about what the venue holds.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
I counted about 75 tickets sold.

Also was at the Smash supershow on Friday and it was real good. The mystery box (basically a feast or fired match) was probably the most incredible comedy match ever. I didn't know very many guys on the Smash roster but they were almost all really good with the only bad match being the opener with Veda Scott vs some woman doing a skater punk gimmick (wasn't far off from Gayda-Trish level bad as they were botching everything). Also Psycho Mike is the greatest gimmick ever, he needs to get signed by a major promotion. Attendance was roughly 240, about what the venue holds.

Jody Threat is the skater girl.
shes also pretty good.

ROH had like less than 2k for their PPV that weekend.
this one image is for a September event.

Smash and Destiny are worth following. if youre local.

Reactions: sabremike

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Couldn't avoid the spoilers throughout the day...I'm watching the show tonight. Less surprised about the final result than the Shibata incident.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Couldn't avoid the spoilers throughout the day...I'm watching the show tonight. Less surprised about the final result than the Shibata incident.
@Live in the Now post actually spoiled Shibata for me but it’s ok cause im a Shibata mark

I expected Ibushi to win when White didn’t flat out say he’d beat him. They’ve kind of booked him as a man of his word and when he says he’ll do something, he does it. He never said he was going to flat out beat Ibushi.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Just got to the Kenta betrayal. I'm not 100% convinced that Shibata is back. He delivered more than he received. Believe me, I hope this is the tease we've all waited for. It's almost how the Bryan return should've happened. Don't announce the return and just surprise everyone when he gets physical in the ring.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
The KENTA stuff was great. They kinda teased it too with him working heel more and more as the G1 went on. Is Shibata cleared? Or was that just about all he’s allowed to do.

The final was a great match and makes my Top 5 my other favorites from the G1 were:

Okada-Ospreay
Moxley-Ishii
Ibushi-Ospreay
Okada-SANADA

Didn’t get a chance to watch Naito-Takagi.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Daily Update on WON/F4W is that Shibata has not been cleared to wrestle.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The Daily Update on WON/F4W is that Shibata has not been cleared to wrestle.

I don't believe that at all. I do believe that Gedo, Kenta, and Shibata would all keep that information to themselves until the press conferences for the Dome show.

Reactions: El Dandy

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't believe that at all. I do believe that Gedo, Kenta, and Shibata would all keep that information to themselves until the press conferences for the Dome show.

I wouldn’t doubt it. This isn’t WWE where they have a whole system of doctors, that’s how you can have Tanahashi tear his bicep and not take time off.

Gedo says he books 2 years out and keeps everything in notebooks, so I can see no one else getting the info. And they typically don’t get any info on future plans for NJPW at all.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Didn’t get a chance to watch Naito-Takagi.

Check it out if you get a chance.

I love the background on these matches and you appreciate the actual history between the wrestlers and Chris Charlton talks a lot about their influences and their mentors. This isn't just some random ass feud that built for a couple weeks and they have a match. Naito and Shingo have known each other for a long time and had never had an actual match against each other.

I loved Shingo's run in the BOSJ but I think his G1 run put him over more. He's in that bruiser class with Goto and Ishii.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Yeah I don't believe it for a moment. You don't hit the ring, take shirt off, and hit all of your major offense against a friend you have a decades worth of history with only to not do a match.

He may or may not be back full-time in 2020+, but Shibata is 1000% coming back for the Tokyo Dome at least. Lock it in.

Besides, Meltzer no longer has his NJPW stooges like The Bucks and Elgin to feed him info so I question any NJPW info he's putting out there like he's in the know. Even when he did have his connections in NJPW, remember when they gave him bad info and he made a fool of himself claiming the Shibata injury was a work? He's never really had his finger on the pulse in regards to backstage stuff in NJPW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad