Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2017-18 PGA Tour schedule in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
He does this a few rounds a year, can't miss a putt, shoots some crazy score that is hard to believe Charley Hoffman can shoot and then 75 the next round. Doubt he wins this, Tiger is in this.
Was it one of the majors this year I think where I was pinning my hopes on him holding someone off on Thursday or Friday and then he collapsed spectacularly right after? I want to say Augusta but I'm probably wrong about that. I'm going to sacrifice a goat to put a hex on him for tomorrow, just to be sure though.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Lets start at 1, but 4 in 4 years is possible, if he becomes of the best in the world again. Actually, that should be around the expectation for someone of that caliber, certainly no less than 2.
If his health holds up and the swing continues to look like it has there's no reason why he can't. We've had plenty of false hope in the past and expectations have gotten out of control when there were a lot of warning signs showing up in the fragile state of his game but this time around he truly does look like a guy who has put it back together physically and mentally.

Seeing him hit shots like that roped 2 iron yesterday and that towering 3 wood today was vintage Tiger. He has those types of shots in his arsenal (the short game he showed off on 8 and 17 too as well as that putter going) he's going to find himself in contention. Biggest things now are getting more tournament reps to knock the rust off and being able to find consistency over the course of 72 holes. His game the way it is right now though takes big numbers out of the equation and since 2008, that's been the biggest detriment to his success. Yes, a symptom of the cause, but it's nice to see his bad misses currently being about as bad as his average shots were the past 3 or so years.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was it one of the majors this year I think where I was pinning my hopes on him holding someone off on Thursday or Friday and then he collapsed spectacularly right after? I want to say Augusta but I'm probably wrong about that. I'm going to sacrifice a goat to put a hex on him for tomorrow, just to be sure though.

2015 Masters, he was the only one with a chance at catching Jordan the first two rounds.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If his health holds up and the swing continues to look like it has there's no reason why he can't. We've had plenty of false hope in the past and expectations have gotten out of control when there were a lot of warning signs showing up in the fragile state of his game but this time around he truly does look like a guy who has put it back together physically and mentally.

Seeing him hit shots like that roped 2 iron yesterday and that towering 3 wood today was vintage Tiger. He has those types of shots in his arsenal (the short game he showed off on 8 and 17 too as well as that putter going) he's going to find himself in contention. Biggest things now are getting more tournament reps to knock the rust off and being able to find consistency over the course of 72 holes. His game the way it is right now though takes big numbers out of the equation and since 2008, that's been the biggest detriment to his success. Yes, a symptom of the cause, but it's nice to see his bad misses currently being about as bad as his average shots were the past 3 or so years.

I know a lot of people are hoping Tiger can return and maybe win a few tournaments, maybe a major, thats not what I'm thinking. If Tiger doesn't win another 4 majors, he'll have failed at his stated goal. I don't know why expectations should change. How realistic they are changes. Its not any longer a debate about when he'll break Nicklaus record, its can he possibly do well enough in the next few years to give himself a chance towards the end of his career to maybe tie or best Nicklaus by one?

One thing I think many forget is how much he struggled in majors in 2012 and 2013, when he wasn't injured, so thats another hurdle that needs to be overcome. I don't see the point in hoping for maybe a PGA Tour win or two, I want to see him regain his status as an elite golfer and then all that matters is four tournaments per year. Its a lot to ask, but its possible.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
2015 Masters, he was the only one with a chance at catching Jordan the first two rounds.

Yep, that was it. Couldn't quite recall when it was but I figured it involved Spieth somehow. Jesus. That long ago, huh? Time just flies the older you get.

I know a lot of people are hoping Tiger can return and maybe win a few tournaments, maybe a major, thats not what I'm thinking. If Tiger doesn't win another 4 majors, he'll have failed at his stated goal. I don't know why expectations should change. How realistic they are changes. Its not any longer a debate about when he'll break Nicklaus record, its can he possibly do well enough in the next few years to give himself a chance towards the end of his career to maybe tie or best Nicklaus by one?

One thing I think many forget is how much he struggled in majors in 2012 and 2013, when he wasn't injured, so thats another hurdle that needs to be overcome. I don't see the point in hoping for maybe a PGA Tour win or two, I want to see him regain his status as an elite golfer and then all that matters is four tournaments per year. Its a lot to ask, but its possible.

Those were my original expectations prior to seeing him at the Hero. Was still kind of hesitant to get on board the hype train or believe that the fusion surgery had completely alleviated his prior issues and of course we hadn't seen his swing stressed under tournament conditions.

He's surpassed my wildest expectations through these first two days however and I find it hard not to get excited over this version of Tiger we're seeing. Even when he was dominating in the non-major tour events in 2012 and 2013, he didn't have close to this amount of control over his swing and while he was excellent at eliminating the big miss one way, there was a fragility to his entire game all throughout the bag that really buckled under pressure as evidenced at the majors, like you pointed out. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he at the top of the leaderboard in 2013 in terms of scrambling? Memory is a bit hazy but I know his short and mid-iron play was excellent that season but his putter was average by his standards and obviously off-the-tee we know he was wildly inconsistent at best.

The biggest thing for me is he's driving the ball as well as he did in the early to mid 2000's. He's supremely confident with that club at the moment and considering his iron play looks as solid as ever, the short game seems to be coming around and the putter is firing on all cylinders -- well, there's no obvious weakness in his game like there's seemed to be since he won at Torrey in 2008. Hitting it as fast as DJ and Rory, clearing his hips beautifully and hitting the sweet spot nearly every time. It's a solid looking swing that looks sound mechanically, minimizes the stresses on his back and maximizes his power while eliminating the wild inaccuracy that's become synonymous with Tiger's game off the tee. The segment Golf Channel did today with Brandel, Frank and Trevor analyzing his consistent ball speed and apex with the big stick tells me that him and Como have found a winning formula. If he can keep that club working and he can build back up the mental part of the game (a win at Hero would go a long way), the sky is honestly the limit.

But it is all obviously dependent on his health. If this week is a harbinger of things to come, he could have another 4-5 solid years of golf left so let's say 20 majors. Some of the upcoming tracks are favorite haunts of his and the Tiger of old knew how to elevate his game during the majors. If he could find a way to pick up another Green Jacket or two, Jack should be in his crosshairs. So.... if Jordan could do Tiger a favor and hold off on dominant Augusta performances until 2022... ;)

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Heh, I wanted to see what Hank Haney thinks of Tiger's game so tried checking out his feed on Twitter...

Turns out he's blocked me. Don't know when that happened. I must've posted something really mean over the past 5 years I guess.

Jan 3, 2012
Can we discuss how he got to this level this fast? Like his first tournament in what seems to be a relatively quick comeback and he looks like prime 2000s Tiger? How is that even possible? Most tour players take off 1-2 months and no surgery and they need a couple tourneys to regain form.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Can we discuss how he got to this level this fast? Like his first tournament in what seems to be a relatively quick comeback and he looks like prime 2000s Tiger? How is that even possible? Most tour players take off 1-2 months and no surgery and they need a couple tourneys to regain form.
Because he's Tiger f***ing Woods. That's how.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Heh, I wanted to see what Hank Haney thinks of Tiger's game so tried checking out his feed on Twitter...

Turns out he's blocked me. Don't know when that happened. I must've posted something really mean over the past 5 years I guess.

"Tiger’s swing looks different through the ball w his body and I think it looks better for his back and for eliminating his big misses." - Dec. 1

"We will see what all these people say about how Tiger doesn’t scare anyone anymore if he plays like this, he didn’t scare people to victory, he played way better than them" - Dec. 1

"I’d like to see Tiger’s left arm higher and less across his body, it’s gotten lower since the first driver videos he posted. Tomorrow will be very interesting to watch. I’ve got Tiger at 68 in round one if the low score for the day is 64 or better." - Nov. 29

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yep, that was it. Couldn't quite recall when it was but I figured it involved Spieth somehow. Jesus. That long ago, huh? Time just flies the older you get.

Those were my original expectations prior to seeing him at the Hero. Was still kind of hesitant to get on board the hype train or believe that the fusion surgery had completely alleviated his prior issues and of course we hadn't seen his swing stressed under tournament conditions.

He's surpassed my wildest expectations through these first two days however and I find it hard not to get excited over this version of Tiger we're seeing. Even when he was dominating in the non-major tour events in 2012 and 2013, he didn't have close to this amount of control over his swing and while he was excellent at eliminating the big miss one way, there was a fragility to his entire game all throughout the bag that really buckled under pressure as evidenced at the majors, like you pointed out. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he at the top of the leaderboard in 2013 in terms of scrambling? Memory is a bit hazy but I know his short and mid-iron play was excellent that season but his putter was average by his standards and obviously off-the-tee we know he was wildly inconsistent at best.

The biggest thing for me is he's driving the ball as well as he did in the early to mid 2000's. He's supremely confident with that club at the moment and considering his iron play looks as solid as ever, the short game seems to be coming around and the putter is firing on all cylinders -- well, there's no obvious weakness in his game like there's seemed to be since he won at Torrey in 2008. Hitting it as fast as DJ and Rory, clearing his hips beautifully and hitting the sweet spot nearly every time. It's a solid looking swing that looks sound mechanically, minimizes the stresses on his back and maximizes his power while eliminating the wild inaccuracy that's become synonymous with Tiger's game off the tee. The segment Golf Channel did today with Brandel, Frank and Trevor analyzing his consistent ball speed and apex with the big stick tells me that him and Como have found a winning formula. If he can keep that club working and he can build back up the mental part of the game (a win at Hero would go a long way), the sky is honestly the limit.

But it is all obviously dependent on his health. If this week is a harbinger of things to come, he could have another 4-5 solid years of golf left so let's say 20 majors. Some of the upcoming tracks are favorite haunts of his and the Tiger of old knew how to elevate his game during the majors. If he could find a way to pick up another Green Jacket or two, Jack should be in his crosshairs. So.... if Jordan could do Tiger a favor and hold off on dominant Augusta performances until 2022... ;)

Yeah, I don't remember exactly. From a look at the stats, he was terrific with the irons and wedges, but not as good as he usually was on and around the greens. Off the tee, 2012 was good, 2013 was terrible. I remember Tiger's putting really dropping off those years. It wasn't bad, because his bad putting is still like top 10-15 in the world, but it was bad for his normal standards.

Jan 3, 2012
What are our expectations for today? 3 under? 5 under? 36 under and eagles every hole from the fairway?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
"Tiger’s swing looks different through the ball w his body and I think it looks better for his back and for eliminating his big misses." - Dec. 1

"We will see what all these people say about how Tiger doesn’t scare anyone anymore if he plays like this, he didn’t scare people to victory, he played way better than them" - Dec. 1

"I’d like to see Tiger’s left arm higher and less across his body, it’s gotten lower since the first driver videos he posted. Tomorrow will be very interesting to watch. I’ve got Tiger at 68 in round one if the low score for the day is 64 or better." - Nov. 29
Hmmmm, thanks. Kind of expected more interesting takes than that from Haney but that'll do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad