OT: All Purpose FIFA World Cup 2014 Thread

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In a normal world, I'd prefer Holland to win. However, I have money involved, and I picked Argentina to beat Holland in the semis before the tournament started. I think it could happen, but right now I'm not feeling very confident at all.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
says.jpg

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm glad the Dutch didn't make it on the backs of consecutive goalless shootout wins. That would have felt tainted. Annoying that rat-tail guy didn't score that chance in extra-time, though. Would have been a better ending.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Awful, awful game. Argentina should give up their place in the final to Costa Rica. ARG haven't even played football in this tournament. They've been terrible and bored their opponents to death one after the other. Literally cannot believe they are in the final right now. Hope Germany rolls over them.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Awful, awful game. Argentina should give up their place in the final to Costa Rica. ARG haven't even played football in this tournament. They've been terrible and bored their opponents to death one after the other. Literally cannot believe they are in the final right now. Hope Germany rolls over them.

Well, isn't that exactly what Costa Rica did to Holland? How can you argue they deserve it more than Argentina?

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
They've been terrible and bored their opponents to death one after the other.

So basically, they're the Brent Sutter Devils of football. Boring doesn't necessaries mean bad. They've been decent this tournament and with Aguero, Higuain and Messi at the front, they have the tools to beat Germany.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Well, isn't that exactly what Costa Rica did to Holland? How can you argue they deserve it more than Argentina?
Costa Rica didn't get the lead off a lucky bounce after 10 minutes just to spend 85 minutes doing everything in their power to slow down the game, spending 30 seconds per throw-in. Of course I get why ARG did it, but that doesn't make it more palatable for a neutral observer. The game needs stricter rules concerning this.

The Costa Rica-Holland quarterfinal was extremely entertaining.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Costa Rica didn't get the lead off a lucky bounce after 10 minutes just to spend 85 minutes doing everything in their power to slow down the game, spending 30 seconds per throw-in. Of course I get why ARG did it, but that doesn't make it more palatable for a neutral observer. The game needs stricter rules concerning this.

The Costa Rica-Holland quarterfinal was extremely entertaining.

But if Costa Rica got a goal, you know they'd do exactly the same thing, if not worse. Hell, Costa Rica were using time-wasting tactics in their tied game against Holland!

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I don't understand those critiquing Argentina. They played an attacking front of Levezzi, Messi, Higuain and had the best chances not only in the 90m but in the OT for sure with the header and the volley. The fact that they brought on attacking forwards such as Aguero who happens to be the primary striker for the EPL champions just adds to my point.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Maybe I'm biased, but I thought Holland controlled the play more overall, however they took very little in the way of chances. I'm going for Ze Germans!

xMatMcC

Jun 27, 2014
NL
Prediction - Argentina 3-1 Germany! Messi takes control with a dazzling free kick in the first half, followed by finishing a penalty not long after, Germany then sneaks one in with Muller after a cross falls astray half way through the second half, and in the last few mins with the Germans pushing the majority of there squad forward, Les Albicelestes counter with an over the top ball that will find the run of speedy Lavezzi to lift the South American sqaud to victory, and to take home the prestigous World Cup, on there rivals home turf.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Maybe I'm biased, but I thought Holland controlled the play more overall, however they took very little in the way of chances. I'm going for Ze Germans!

I found the Dutch 'attack' to be very predictable:

1. Get the ball to a central midfielder
2. Work it back to the centre backs
3. Play it out wide to the wingback on the touchline
4. Repeat steps 1-3 as desired
5. Is there a striker available for a long ball? If yes, proceed to step 6. If no, return to step 1.
6. Knock it long.

It's pretty much the very definition of no-risk. And regardless of the score, they were completely unwilling to waver from it and take more chances. This is why they played to two consecutive goalless draws.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I found the Dutch 'attack' to be very predictable:

1. Get the ball to a central midfielder
2. Work it back to the centre backs
3. Play it out wide to the wingback on the touchline
4. Repeat steps 1-3 as desired
5. Is there a striker available for a long ball? If yes, proceed to step 6. If no, return to step 1.
6. Knock it long.

It's pretty much the very definition of no-risk. And regardless of the score, they were completely unwilling to waver from it and take more chances. This is why they played to two consecutive goalless draws.

Holland has basically been playing that system for the last 16 years from my recollection. They play a position game and they wait until the team makes a mistake, well Argentina didn't make one. Robbin really was the only one who had 1 chance all game, what a joke!

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
I say Germany will win, but it won't be a rout like it was against Brazil. I don't think Argentina will be able to get three passed Neuer, even with Messi. The whole attack for Argentina relies on Messi, and they have played a much better defensive game than people were saying they would (pre-World Cup). I think this will be 2-0 or 2-1 Germany.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad