OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
This guy Bergeron. Does he think his precious renovated Cabot square won't be full of bums like it is now? His renovation is peanuts compared to a project like MLB. These fonctionnaires, always thinking small. And what a surprise, the clueless fonctionnaire wants to put it in the east end!! Repeat the same problem of the first time!! these guys LOL

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Building a stadium requires having an agreement for a club first. What's the point of building a new stadium without a baseball team? It was barely tenable as a project with a ball team.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Building a stadium requires having an agreement for a club first. What's the point of building a new stadium without a baseball team? It was barely tenable as a project with a ball team.

Even MLB has said they don't expect us to build a stadium before getting a team. that would be insane, pure stupidity...kek

They do expect a plan and some money lined up should relocation or expansion suddenly become real.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Even MLB has said they don't expect us to build a stadium before getting a team. that would be insane, pure stupidity...kek

They do expect a plan and some money lined up should relocation or expansion suddenly become real.

MLB had also allowed Montreal to play at Jarry park for the first three years, even if they considered that Jarry was not a major league stadium at the time. They had done so on the promise that the city would build an MLB stadium, which on account of Mayor Drapeau's excesses and poor planning, became the Big O by default.

I think this time around, they should have a location and construction schedule locked in before MLB commits.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Maybe it should be: build it and they won't come. I think bringing back baseball is not smart but I can understand the nostalgia.

Montreal has a second team already.

I don't consider the Impact as a second team. It's a fun league but the best soccer players aren't playing period.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lol, why is it so terrible?

It's not terrible in general, just not suited to baseball.

It's been well documented over the years.

It became the Expos home by default, further to poor planning by Mayor Drapeau who did not consider what to do with the Olympic stadium once the games were through. Compare this with the Atlanta Olympics where the part of the main stadium was temporary so that it could easily be transformed into a genuine MLB stadium as soon as the games were through.

Second, short summers in Montreal absolutely mean that fans want to experience baseball in open air. Except for limited periods, the Big O's roof always had issues and became non-retractable over time (or was simply not removed), as a cost-cutting measure.

Third, the proximity to the downtown core is key to all MLB stadiums, the Big O's location was always a detriment. A recurring source of revenue for any team are your corporate clients from the downtown area which clearly hampered the Big O as a destination.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I am against it but Manfred was on Jays opener and said they recognize ownership ruined baseball in Montreal. He said Montreal needs a new stadium to be longterm financial viable, but it did sound like he wants a team in Montreal again.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
It will happen in the next 2-3 years for sure.

MLB wants to see if either Tampa or Oakland go for relocation if they can't get a new stadium in their current areas. If they do get stadiums, then expansion will happen.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
It's not terrible in general, just not suited to baseball.

It's been well documented over the years.

It became the Expos home by default, further to poor planning by Mayor Drapeau who did not consider what to do with the Olympic stadium once the games were through. Compare this with the Atlanta Olympics where the part of the main stadium was temporary so that it could easily be transformed into a genuine MLB stadium as soon as the games were through.

Second, short summers in Montreal absolutely mean that fans want to experience baseball in open air. Except for limited periods, the Big O's roof always had issues and became non-retractable over time (or was simply not removed), as a cost-cutting measure.

Third, the proximity to the downtown core is key to all MLB stadiums, the Big O's location was always a detriment. A recurring source of revenue for any team are your corporate clients from the downtown area which clearly hampered the Big O as a destination.

All you say is true. Problem though is the city isn't the best when it comes to supporting non-winners. Granted, being downtown and having access to more corporate revenue may mitigate some issues but considering the state of the Canadiens and the empty seats, I worry for the Expos.

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
No one to say soccer has replaced baseball in Montreal yet ?:sarcasm:
I guess last weekend's events shut the mouth of many haters in Montreal.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
This ^^

I went to a lot of Expos games when I was younger and the Olympic stadium is TERRIBLE. They need to demolish it or something and build a new stadium for the Als and Expos closer to downtown.

The last thing you want is a dual purpose stadium - you would wind up with terrible sight lines for both sports. A 35,000 to 40,000 seat domed stadium with a retractable roof and dedicated to baseball is the only way baseball is going to work in Montreal

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All you say is true. Problem though is the city isn't the best when it comes to supporting non-winners. Granted, being downtown and having access to more corporate revenue may mitigate some issues but considering the state of the Canadiens and the empty seats, I worry for the Expos.

Actually, the Expos had support whenever they had marquee players. It all went downhill when the team's owners were too cheap to pay up their best players and traded them in their prime. It's as if the Habs traded their core every few years, eventually you'd dismiss the brand and not buy into it anymore. Fans support a culture that promotes the attainment of winning. They do understand that winning isn't always possible and accept it, especially that it's a major sport and there are only so many franchises across North America.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The last thing you want is a dual purpose stadium - you would wind up with terrible sight lines for both sports. A 35,000 to 40,000 seat domed stadium with a retractable roof and dedicated to baseball is the only way baseball is going to work in Montreal
Agree. There was always a large % of the crowd when I went that came from out of town, especially from the US. Who will want to make the trip when there is risk of the game being postponed, which will include the amount of time it takes to go through customs? And taking your kids to freeze in a game in April is not a good time.

I have always believed they will be back...the challenge will be if they are not competitive for 2-3 years. Where will the crowds be then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad