Speculation: All-Purpose Expansion Talk Thread

Boose30

Jun 22, 2010
The Colony
Don't know if this has been discussed on here before. I looked and couldn't find anything. If there is something pls direct towards it.

Was wondering what some peoples predictions are for who's going to be protected/exposed for the upcoming expansion draft.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
F : Benn , Seguin , Spezza , Faksa + whoever
D : Klingberg + whoever
G : Someone

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
F : Benn , Seguin , Spezza , Faksa + whoever
D : Klingberg + whoever
G : Someone

Benn, Seguin, Spezza, Faksa and one of Janmark/Eakin

Klingberg,, Lindell and Johns

Who cares for goalies

Maybe they'll take Lehtonen for his one year cap hit. One can hope

Last edited:

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
This is just going off my memory on the roster and who isnt a UFA

F:Benn - Seguin - Spezza - Janmark - Faksa - Eakin/Roussel/Nichushkin (two of)
D:Klingberg - Johns - Lindell/Hamhuis (one of)
G: Legace

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Janmark should be exempt, only a second year pro by the NHL's standards. His seasons in Sweden shouldn't count.

Edit: Not sure we'd protect him anyways, major potentially career altering joint condition and all. (Which sucks cause I love him as a player).

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah Janmark is exempt since the contract he signed prior to joining the Stars last year was his ELC . Detroit never signed him to anything.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Hammer has an NMC, meaning we have to protect him. Ditto, I think, Spezza.

That makes your three D protections Klinger, Johns, Hammer. Wonder if with all the forwards out, maybe less value, that depending on how Esa Lindell does, we protect one less skater and one more D?

What are the final numbers of how many you can protect? Thought is was 7/3/1 or nine skaters of any type and one goalie.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Hamhuis only has a 15 team modified no trade clause, he's still eligible.

Benn has a no move clause too; we'll have to protect him, darn it.

It's 7/3/1 or 8 skaters + goalie. We could still go 8 skaters, depending on how the year goes, but probably not.

Boose30

Jun 22, 2010
The Colony
What happens with the UFA guys? Like Sharp for instance? If we wanted to keep him could we protect him or are all UFA's off limits until that signing time?

I guess follow up to this question as well does the expansion draft happen in regards to nhl draft and free agency?

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
What happens with the UFA guys? Like Sharp for instance? If we wanted to keep him could we protect him or are all UFA's off limits until that signing time?

I guess follow up to this question as well does the expansion draft happen in regards to nhl draft and free agency?

Dallas could resign Sharp before the draft, but he'd have to be protected. Or they could wait till the day after the draft and then resign him.

Don't really have to worry about Vegas taking Sharp/Oduya with a draft pick etc... Instead, Vegas will have a 48-hour window ahead of the expansion draft to speak with and sign any pending free agent. So they could sign Sharp outright without ever having to draft him. If LV did sign Sharp/Oduya/Whoever, then that would be considered "their pick" and Dallas wouldn't lose anyone else to expansion.

The draft is in June (edit: June 21st is when picks are announced)

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It would be crazy to protect him.

Would it ? His rights are more valueable than Ritchie and a few other guys. He may be a bit of a problem child but he's a much better player than almost anything we're forced to dress right now.

Last edited:

beltjones

Dec 4, 2014
www.breakthecipher.com
I may be understanding it wrong but we have to expose two forwards and one D that is signed through next season. I think that means Roussel and Eakin are both getting exposed. Jordie Benn is probably the D that fits that bill.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I may be understanding it wrong but we have to expose two forwards and one D that is signed through next season. I think that means Roussel and Eakin are both getting exposed. Jordie Benn is probably the D that fits that bill.

Hamuis is probably another. I could see a Cracknell or korpikoski extension to protect Roussell.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Extension or not I can't see Vegas taking Eaves. Management loves Eakin, but he does make sense to leave unprotected. I know it's wishful thinking, but maybe Vegas will take one of our goalies for there 1 year cap hit, doubt it but one can hope

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
If Oleksiak keeps playing the way he is I think he steals an expansion protection spot (unless Jordie Benn gets it) from Johns.

Last edited by a moderator:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
If Oleksiak keeps playing the way he is I think he steals an expansion protection spot (unless Jordie Benn gets it) from Johns.

I do have to say, Oleksiak has shown level of skill in the past few weeks that is multiple times higher than he ever seemed to have the capability of in the years prior. He has become "intriguing" to me, and I'm sure to other teams as well.

I still have my doubts about Oleksiak's hockey IQ and ability to DEFEND, but to me he has easily leapfrogged Nemeth on the depth chart, and if he keeps playing this way he will either have value as trade bait or to us in some regard, and perhaps build up enough value to protect. The rest of the season will determine his fate, but I am ready to let go of Nemeth and give him more playing time.

I no longer think he's a guy you just dump for pennies on the dollar to free up a spot. That's for sure.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Neither Oleksiak nor Johns should be in danger of being claimed. We barely have minutes for them to play, they'd be buried even deeper there. If Vegas want a defenseman, Hamhuis is a legit top 4 and on a reasonable and expiring contract if their goal is to flip for value. And if they get claimed we have Honka, who is an improvement based on the play this season, coming up to fill the spot. Not ideal, but certainly manageable.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think Johns would get claimed based on potential. Geez, he has a few bad games and some of us want to dump him. I think Nill feels differently, and so would at least some GM's. Why wouldn't LV want young players they could build around, rather than DH, flipped for some other young player of greater value? Go direct, save the asset.

I also (in the minority) believe Nemeth will turn it around, and half think Nill is using Jamie O to build value, hoping they take him instead. Call me crazy.

Not exactly sure who LV would take if Benn, JO, Nemeth and DH were available. I guess it would depend on what other teams expose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad