Speculation: All-Purpose Expansion Talk Thread v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Figure it's a good time to consolidate the expansion talk that has been overlapping in quite a few threads into a fresh and shiny new one.

Anything and everything expansion -- this is the place.

Russo came out with a column yesterday that has a bunch of tidbits.

Russo said:
So the Wild will have big decisions. Up front, let’s assume Parise, Koivu and Pominville are protected (meaning they’re not traded or bought out), the Wild would have to protect four among Charlie Coyle, Mikael Granlund, Tyler Graovac, Erik Haula, Nino Niederreiter and Jason Zucker. This assumes none of those players is traded by then and doesn’t take into consideration other acquisitions this offseason or next season.

On defense, things get hairy. With Suter protected, the Wild would have to protect two among Jonas Brodin, Matt Dumba, Gustav Olofsson, Marco Scandella and Jared Spurgeon. This assumes none is traded by then and that Mike Reilly is exempt because he’ll be completing his second-year as pro.

Lots and lots of stuff to ponder and discuss.

Kenny G

Jun 6, 2012
Minnesota
Arizona looks like a great trading partner.

Currently have Domi as #1 with Dylan Strome & Dvorak likely to make the push next year for starting. They also should have a top 10 pick.

Strome for Spurgeon,Graovac and a pick?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Arizona looks like a great trading partner.

Currently have Domi as #1 with Dylan Strome & Dvorak likely to make the push next year for starting. They also should have a top 10 pick.

Strome for Spurgeon,Graovac and a pick?

Wow are you serious? Hell no.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Talked to Coyotes fans earlier in the year, they value Strome as their potential elite 1c of the future. Can't see them trading him.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
We're screwed.

No we are not screwed. It just means that we'll be down one player. Its probably going to be Brodin because no one here likes him or thinks he's not worth that much.

No to mention, deals get made all the time so we can offer them a trade instead of letting them pick one player.

We'll be fine.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Buyout Pominville. Choose the 8 skater, 1 goalie method:

Parise, Suter, Koivu, Coyle, Spurgeon, Scandella, Dumba, Brodin, Dubnyk

Unprotected: Granlund, Zucker, Nino, Haula

Probably going to lose 2 of those 4 if they expand to 32 teams like they should. Kuemper might also seem like a good pickup, so we'd only lose 1 of those 4 skaters. That's our best outcome.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
If they don't protect players who have NMC why would we protect Pominville? Like we want him gone and he could be a good pickup as a vet for a team looking to build and get to the cap floor.

Honestly that might be the best case scenario for us, they take Pominville and we trade them like C prospect as an incentive for taking him.

Also I think Russo hits the nail on the head, they will probably get to 32 teams but the NHL may not want to go at it in one year. It would really screw teams like us over too much.

We'll be fine either way, plus remember we are cursed, no matter who we lose, that player will become a stud.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Spurgeon and Graovac as a base to talk D.Strome? That's not going to be enough. Unfortunately.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I'd protect Nino before Brodin.
One of those defensemen probably won't be here by the expansion draft....possibly Brodin. But yeah, I'm with ya. I want Nino to be protected. If we have to lose one guy, I'd prefer it be Granlund over most of them. I'm starting to feel like Bouchard 2.0 with him although not to the extreme. Guys like Nino, Haula, and Zucker certainly have been guilty of having bad stretches of hockey, but they still bring more to the table whether it be speed, ability to win puck battles, and so forth. Granlund hasn't made the impact that any of those guys have.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Overpayment? And a no? He was the #3 overall pick behind 2 generational players. A center, which we desperately need.

We'd be lucky to get him for Spurgeon and our #1.

Pretty much nail on the head.

If Pho was to end up with #1 pick, we might be able to make a deal but the price would be huge.

Like Dumba + 1st + something,

I don't think people seem to know much about top 5 picks and value.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I certainly hope that the NHL manages to ditch the obligatory protect thing for no movement clause players. It would be nice to be able to leave the aging vets exposed while retaining all core youth players.

Of course I doubt that will happen.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I certainly hope that the NHL manages to ditch the obligatory protect thing for no movement clause players. It would be nice to be able to leave the aging vets exposed while retaining all core youth players.

Of course I doubt that will happen.

I though the issue was that teams that have NMC contracts didn't have to spend protection on those players thus having "extra" protection available to them. Not all teams have this issue but having a 25ish franchise player with NCM is a big bonus.

In any case Parise/Suter and most likely Koivu are the ones wild will protect.

Assuming NMC players were exempt from the move, that would mean Wild can protect all their youth.

MiG, Zucker, Brodin, Nino, Coyle, Dumba, Spurg, Scandy

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
If I understood correctly, the expansion draft rules have yet to be discussed with the NHLPA. That will impact things. I don't think we actually know yet if those players limits will be true, if the 25% of the roster budged exposed rule will hold or if NMC's/NTC's will impact the protection limits. Hell, we don't even know if the expansion draft will be held in 17-18 summer or 18-19 summer. Or will there even be and expansion soon, as things can head south extremely quickly.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
If I understood correctly, the expansion draft rules have yet to be discussed with the NHLPA. That will impact things. I don't think we actually know yet if those players limits will be true, if the 25% of the roster budged exposed rule will hold or if NMC's/NTC's will impact the protection limits. Hell, we don't even know if the expansion draft will be held in 17-18 summer or 18-19 summer. Or will there even be and expansion soon, as things can head south extremely quickly.

That's how I'm looking at it. The League has been incredibly coy about the whole thing, so we're not even sure *when* an expansion draft would be. We might feel a lot different about certain players on today's roster in 2 years (if they're even still around).

Kenny G

Jun 6, 2012
Minnesota
Pretty much nail on the head.

If Pho was to end up with #1 pick, we might be able to make a deal but the price would be huge.

Like Dumba + 1st + something,

I don't think people seem to know much about top 5 picks and value.

Yeah, as a Wild fan we don't know the value of a great blue chip prospect as we haven't had one in years. :cry:

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I'd trade dumba + 1st for strome but not spurgeon ++.

Strome hasn't even played an NHL game yet, and spurgeon is a proven top 4 dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad