Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’m starting to get really excited by the idea of Zayne Parekh maybe falling to the Sharks… He definitely deserves most of the criticism of his lack of defense and physicality but he’s a wizard in the offensive zone and in transition. You’d have to really build a strong two-way core around him, but he’s the type of player who can push a team over the top with his ability to create offense from nothing. I mean, the Rangers have basically made the ECF on the back of their busted PP and goaltending.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I’m starting to get really excited by the idea of Zayne Parekh maybe falling to the Sharks… He definitely deserves most of the criticism of his lack of defense and physicality but he’s a wizard in the offensive zone and in transition. You’d have to really build a strong two-way core around him, but he’s the type of player who can push a team over the top with his ability to create offense from nothing. I mean, the Rangers have basically made the ECF on the back of their busted PP and goaltending.
He is very comparable to Quinn Hughes/Cale Makar for potential. Maybe he can grow into a two way role. Let's just hope he isn't a Phil housley/Tom Kurvers instead.

if we can Draft Emery with the 33rd pick.....Rock Solid defensive guy

But our record for high risk, high reward or bust guys isn't great in the last Decade. Goldobin and Merkley being the first 2 that come to mind.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He is very comparable to Quinn Hughes/Cale Makar for potential. Maybe he can grow into a two way role. Let's just hope he isn't a Phil housley/Tom Kurvers instead.

But our record for high risk, high reward or bust guys isn't great in the last Decade. Goldobin and Merkley being the first 2 that come to mind.
I get why Sharks fans would be wary of someone who on the surface seems like another Ryan Merkley, but Parekh’s hockey IQ is so far above Merkley’s it’s like comparing Adam Fox to me.

(Yes, I realize this comp is suggesting that I have higher hockey IQ than Ryan Merkley. But if you think about it… doesn’t everyone? :laugh:)

I don’t think Hughes/Makar are really comparable, I think stylistically Parekh is like Karlsson. Surround him with the right players and he’ll do a lot for your team.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

This is a new Sharks management team, so the mistakes of the past shouldn't be held against them.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland

Parekh and Emery are both RDs, and it looks like Emery will go earlier than #33. Solberg (two-way LD) is most likely also gone by then, but we could get one of the 6'4 shutdown LDs: Shuravin or Skahan. One of them should still be around at #42.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I remember reading a comment about hockey IQ around the time we drafted Merkley. It was something like it's concerning when a prospect's best plays are ONLY making big home run high risk plays and they don't really know how to make simpler low risk plays. I think about that a lot nowadays.
Right, exactly. Merkley tried too many home run plays and his processing speed was really slow. He could get away with it in juniors but in pro hockey players can read through his intentions and pounce on him faster. Parekh doesn’t have either of those issues. He’s really good at making the types of smart passes that seem obvious when you’re watching the game as a spectator but are actually not that easy to pull off in-game. He processes offense really quickly, and I just see the way he generates offense translating well to the pros. Plus he’s got a great shot that has real NHL goal-scoring potential.

Like I said, the defensive and physical concerns are real with Parekh. But I have no concerns about his offensive game translating to the pros—if he doesn’t pan out, he’s probably someone like Erik Gustafsson or Shaybe Gostisbehere, who bounces from mediocre team to mediocre team despite putting up 50 point seasons. But frankly I don’t think that floor is any lower than Yakemchuk/Buium/Levshunov, so I’d still be all for him if he made it to 14.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
A year after they were drafted everyone from Merkley to Kniazev to Wiesblatt to Bordeleau to Coe "looked like they could help us at the NHL level" too, at least according to people here.

It's just as silly to praise Grier for picks that haven't panned out yet as it was to praise Junior.

It's encouraging that Grier's staff doesn't seem to have a pathological obsession with drafting SPA (smallest player available) with every pick but that's a low bar to clear pun intended.
Oh my god man. Let people have a little hope. Stop being a dick.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

Is there actually a possibility of that?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Is there actually a possibility of that?
Nah, I don’t think it’s likely. But if any of the D fall I think it’ll be him. Yakemchuk has the size and physicality that teams like, so it’s hard to see him falling to us. But it’s possible that teams look at Parekh’s mediocre defense and lack of physical engagement and see a guy who might not be a “playoff” type of player and let him fall to us.

Reactions: Jargon

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Nah, I don’t think it’s likely. But if any of the D fall I think it’ll be him. Yakemchuk has the size and physicality that teams like, so it’s hard to see him falling to us. But it’s possible that teams look at Parekh’s mediocre defense and lack of physical engagement and see a guy who might not be a “playoff” type of player and let him fall to us.

It’s like getting a suped up Cagnoni, I’d love Parekh. Have you watched Stolberg? I’ve been getting kinda interested in him and he’d be available at 14, I think. Just not sure if he’s worth it there yet…

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It’s like getting a souped up Cagnoni, I’d love Parekh. Have you watched Stolberg? I’ve been getting kinda interested in him and he’d be available at 14, I think. Just not sure if he’s worth it there yet…
Nope, I haven’t. Heard really good things about him though, it wouldn’t shock me if he were considered at 14, but I’m not sure how I’d feel about it.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I get why Sharks fans would be wary of someone who on the surface seems like another Ryan Merkley, but Parekh’s hockey IQ is so far above Merkley’s it’s like comparing Adam Fox to me.

(Yes, I realize this comp is suggesting that I have higher hockey IQ than Ryan Merkley. But if you think about it… doesn’t everyone? :laugh:)

I don’t think Hughes/Makar are really comparable, I think stylistically Parekh is like Karlsson. Surround him with the right players and he’ll do a lot for your team.
Pretty sure anyone who's ever watched a hockey game has a higher hockey IQ than Merkley. Even...dare I say it...Vegas fans.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Pretty sure anyone who's ever watched a hockey game has a higher hockey IQ than Merkley. Even...dare I say it...Vegas fans.
IMG_1108.jpeg

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

This is exactly why I don't want us to draft Parekh. Let him score a bunch of empty calorie points for some other team. This is not Cale Makar.

If I'm wrong, anyone who wants to can shove these words back in my face in a few years, I don't have an ego about it, but this kind of player (and his LW flavor, Eiserman) scares the hell out of me. Give me Sennecke, MBN, Yakemchuk, Catton, even Jiricek, Chernyshov, Solberg (playing well in the WC!), Emery before Eiserman or Parekh.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
This is exactly why I don't want us to draft Parekh. Let him score a bunch of empty calorie points for some other team. This is not Cale Makar.

If I'm wrong, anyone who wants to can shove these words back in my face in a few years, I don't have an ego about it, but this kind of player (and his LW flavor, Eiserman) scares the hell out of me. Give me Sennecke, MBN, Yakemchuk, Catton, even Jiricek, Chernyshov, Solberg (playing well in the WC!), Emery before Eiserman or Parekh.
I have a feeling this thinking is going to end up mirroring Grier's. Of course, if someone like Parekh falls and he and his staff sees major upside, you never know, but I do think there's a desire to keep amping up the snarl and physical engagement level of this team. (And if you can do that while still getting skilled players, now you're cooking on a gas stove.)

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I think there's no chance he falls to 14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad