Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Drafting a hockey player is drafting to fill a need for us. We need everything.
I'd say as things go were good at LW. Celebrini helps make the C position a strength. LD outside of a true 1st line should be OK. At RD, we're thinner. And of course a true #1goalie

Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I'd say as things go were good at LW. Celebrini helps make the C position a strength. LD outside of a true 1st line should be OK. At RD, we're thinner. And of course a true #1goalie
We have Eklund at LW. Everything else is a question mark. Out of Bordeleau, Gushchin, and Musty, we might get one legitimate longterm NHL LW. That's the extent of our LW depth (outside of lottery tickets like Klee or Muldowney who are 99.9% likely to never even reach the NHL).

At LD we have Ferraro, who is a #6 guy and isn't someone you hold onto for long. Out of Thrun, Mukhammadullin, Cagnoni, and Furlong, we again might get one legitimate longterm NHL LD, two if we are astonishingly lucky, and only two of those have legitimate top four ceiling potential (Muk and Cagnoni, with Cagnoni having being very likely to top out as a mediocre puckmover with terrible defense, a left-handed Addison, even if he does make the NHL).

We aren't actually good anywhere, save maybe C - Celebrini and Smith probably are both good to excellent NHL players, maybe Bystedt and Edstrom are bottom six guys, but I think the odds are one of them flops. That doesn't mean we have any reason to pass up on a center, anyway.

• Wow

Grinner

May 31, 2022
We have Eklund at LW. Everything else is a question mark. Out of Bordeleau, Gushchin, and Musty, we might get one legitimate longterm NHL LW. That's the extent of our LW depth (outside of lottery tickets like Klee or Muldowney who are 99.9% likely to never even reach the NHL).

At LD we have Ferraro, who is a #6 guy and isn't someone you hold onto for long. Out of Thrun, Mukhammadullin, Cagnoni, and Furlong, we again might get one legitimate longterm NHL LD, two if we are astonishingly lucky, and only two of those have legitimate top four ceiling potential (Muk and Cagnoni, with Cagnoni having being very likely to top out as a mediocre puckmover with terrible defense, a left-handed Addison, even if he does make the NHL).

We aren't actually good anywhere, save maybe C - Celebrini and Smith probably are both good to excellent NHL players, maybe Bystedt and Edstrom are bottom six guys, but I think the odds are one of them flops. That doesn't mean we have any reason to pass up on a center, anyway.

I'm penciling Musty in as a top 6 LW until he proves different. I figure the loser of the 3rd line center position between Edstrom and Bystedt moves to the 3rd line LW position. On the right-side, Zetts looks to be in the mix while Halttunen continues to show promise.
I'm hoping that Muk and Thrun can nail down 2 of the 3 LD positions. 1 or 2 top 6 RWers and a couple of higher tier RDmen along with a top tier LDman, ought to round out the skaters. It's still a lot. Hopefully we can draft MBN to nail down one RW holes

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Eklund - Celebrini - Zetterlund
Couture - Smith - MBN
Musty - Edstrom - Bystedt

MBN is becoming my crush at #14. Defense will stay a tire fire but (huge) if everything goes our way we could have a mostly homegrown young top 9 that looks pretty solid. Couture probably doesn't have to many great years left in him but you hope Musty/Surprise pick / FA take over for him down the road.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I agree with Sheng's article consensus. Highly doubt anyone moves down.
Yeah, it's not my place to tell people to give up hope that there'll be a trade up, but historically teams only will trade down from the top 10 if it's a really weak/unappealing group. The top guys this year certainly hold a lot of intrigue even if it's not the best top 10 ever, so I think it would just be a surprise--the reasons we want the Sharks to trade up are precisely the reasons why teams with those picks don't want to trade down.

That said, a jump up a couple spots to like 11? That could happen. That's where it becomes more about individual teams' draft boards. And even if the Sharks do stay at 14, it's fascinating because there's like 10 guys I could imagine who could be atop the Sharks' board for that pick--maybe even some guys we wouldn't expect.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pick is Jiricek--if there's something to be gleaned from the Musty pick last year, it could be that they could be looking for someone who's underrated or devalued not because of performance. Maybe it's someone like Solberg--getting praise now, but previously overlooked from playing in Norway?

It's certainly going to be fun to watch as it all plays out with Celebrini in our back pocket already.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Yeah, it's not my place to tell people to give up hope that there'll be a trade up, but historically teams only will trade down from the top 10 if it's a really weak/unappealing group. The top guys this year certainly hold a lot of intrigue even if it's not the best top 10 ever, so I think it would just be a surprise--the reasons we want the Sharks to trade up are precisely the reasons why teams with those picks don't want to trade down.

That said, a jump up a couple spots to like 11? That could happen. That's where it becomes more about individual teams' draft boards. And even if the Sharks do stay at 14, it's fascinating because there's like 10 guys I could imagine who could be atop the Sharks' board for that pick--maybe even some guys we wouldn't expect.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pick is Jiricek--if there's something to be gleaned from the Musty pick last year, it could be that they could be looking for someone who's underrated or devalued not because of performance. Maybe it's someone like Solberg--getting praise now, but previously overlooked from playing in Norway?

It's certainly going to be fun to watch as it all plays out with Celebrini in our back pocket already.
Well put. Personally, I'm fine staying at 14 and just taking the top guy on their draft board of available players. Hopefully it’s MBN!. Also wanted to add it wouldn’t surprise me Tij Iginla was available, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he was already taken. There will be lots of options at 14 and if Iginla is there I would be happy drafting him as well. Could we move Iginla to the wing? He would be sick with Eklund, Smith or Celebrini.

Last edited:

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
spread rumors of trading up to grab the swing-for-the-fences-but-possibly-blow-up-in-their-face prospect
spread follow up rumors of trading the pick for an impact roster player
At the last second, trade down
PIck someone nobody has ever heard of
???
Profit

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018
Well put. Personally, I'm fine staying at 14 and just taking the top guy on their draft board of available players. Hopefully it’s MBN!. Also wanted to add it wouldn’t surprise me Tij Iginla was available, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he was already taken. There will be lots of options at 14 and if Iginla is there I would be happy drafting him as well. Could we move Iginla to the wing? He would be sick with Eklund, Smith or Celebrini.
The more I look into MBN the more he looks exactly like a GMMG type. I like him a lot, he just oozes playoff performer.

Really interested in Stian Solberg, he plays so heavy. Aron Kiviharu is an all heart type guy, captain etc. Maybe the hockey gods shine down on us even more than they have and we pick them up with 33 and 42. Doubt it, but we got Chester Cheetah so why not keep dreaming.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
The more I look into MBN the more he looks exactly like a GMMG type. I like him a lot, he just oozes playoff performer.

Really interested in Stian Solberg, he plays so heavy. Aron Kiviharu is an all heart type guy, captain etc. Maybe the hockey gods shine down on us even more than they have and we pick them up with 33 and 42. Doubt it, but we got Chester Cheetah so why not keep dreaming.
My exact thoughts. MBN could potentially be that guy in our lineup who plays a key role in lifting the cup.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Listened to the Athletic podcast with Chris Peters, Corey Pronman, and Scott Powers. They seem to think the Sharks will reach for D at 14…

• Wow

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024

Yeah I don't see a trade happening unless it's only a few spots. The only way I could see a team in the Top 10 trading down is if there's an early run on forwards and there's a team that's strong on defense that doesn't want to take one of the defensemen for value. Eiserman is going to be a real wild card in this draft IMO.

I hope the Sharks don't take Jiricek. If the Sharks don't trade up, the only defenseman that appeals to me that I think might be there at 14 is Yakemchuk. Otherwise, I'd rather they take whatever remaining forward they think is the best. Jiricek feels like a reach to me.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Jiricek or Solberg. I think they’d both be minor reaches.
Or Emery, apparently.

If it comes down to Sennecke, Eiserman, or Jiricek/Solberg/Emery, will be very interesting/exciting to see what happens.

The D might all be a reach, but let's say PIT had made the playoffs and the pick was 18-22... I think we'd be happy with any of those three. Emery may be a reach but he may not, and Solberg sounds like the sneaky riser.
Post in thread 'D Stian Solberg - Vålerenga, Norway (2024 Draft)' D Stian Solberg - Vålerenga, Norway (2024 Draft)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad