OT: All Non-Hockey Sports Talk (2015-17 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Not a big fan of it, but, I just got to hope he improves, along with the porous O-line and running game.

Think he can be worthy of the deal, but he needs more help.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I've been a fan of his since game 1. I'm happy that he's THE quarterback of the Miami Dolphins. :handclap: I have friends here in Denver that were shocked by how good he was when they saw him live last season.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Not a big fan of it, but, I just got to hope he improves, along with the porous O-line and running game.

Think he can be worthy of the deal, but he needs more help.

• Tannehill, Tony Romo, Andrew Luck and Matthew Stafford are the only quarterbacks whose passer ratings increased from 2012 to 2013 and from 2013 to 2014.
  • His 92.8 passer rating last season was the fifth-best in any season in Dolphins history.
  • His 66.4 completion percentage was the second-highest in a season in Dolphins history.
  • What’s more, Tannehill has thrown for 11,252 yards in his first three seasons --- sixth-most in NFL history behind Luck, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Dalton and Cam Newton.

Remember, he played mostly WR in college, so he had a much bigger adjustment to make than any other QB coming out of his draft class. He still needs to work on some things, but the positives certainly outweigh the negatives, and I cant wait for this upcoming season.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Not a huge fan of Tannehill or the deal, but I can't complain too much since he got less than Andy Dalton. He'll have to improve a lot to be worth anywhere near what he's getting paid though. Can't throw a deep ball, has the pocket presence of a high school freshman, and has no sense of ball security when he's running. Also his receivers never get any YAC because every throw is behind them or they have to slow down to catch it.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
  • Tannehill, Tony Romo, Andrew Luck and Matthew Stafford are the only quarterbacks whose passer ratings increased from 2012 to 2013 and from 2013 to 2014.
  • His 92.8 passer rating last season was the fifth-best in any season in Dolphins history.
  • His 66.4 completion percentage was the second-highest in a season in Dolphins history.
  • What’s more, Tannehill has thrown for 11,252 yards in his first three seasons --- sixth-most in NFL history behind Luck, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Dalton and Cam Newton.

Remember, he played mostly WR in college, so he had a much bigger adjustment to make than any other QB coming out of his draft class. He still needs to work on some things, but the positives certainly outweigh the negatives, and I cant wait for this upcoming season.

I think he's progressing in the right way, and he was not given the ideal situation to start his NFL career. I agree that the positives outweigh the negatives. I think my main concern, NFL general concern, is how big the QB contracts are becoming, not so much that we re-signed Tannehill for the rest of the decade. With some big contracts on the squad, we need to draft consistently better to make sure we have quality starters to fill out the roster/ depth isn't full of scrubs

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
I just can't get on board with this. He's got a bunch of gaudy passing numbers in his short career, but the wins just aren't there. And much like Henne, everyone else gets the blame. Defense folded. O-line stinks. No running game. Poor weapons. We've heard this all before. But, doesn't matter, they're now married to him, at least until 2020. I, and a few others, feel his negatives outweigh the positives. Others don't. That's ok, we all want the Dolphins to win, and I'll be cheering for him to deliver, but buying his jersey? Hard pass.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I just can't get on board with this. He's got a bunch of gaudy passing numbers in his short career, but the wins just aren't there. And much like Henne, everyone else gets the blame. Defense folded. O-line stinks. No running game. Poor weapons. We've heard this all before. But, doesn't matter, they're now married to him, at least until 2020. I, and a few others, feel his negatives outweigh the positives. Others don't. That's ok, we all want the Dolphins to win, and I'll be cheering for him to deliver, but buying his jersey? Hard pass.

So its Tannehill's fault that the defense completely laid an egg during the second half of last year? I guess it was Tannehill's fault that the team allowed over 150 rushing YPG during the second half. Or it was Tannehill's fault that the defense couldnt get off the field. Yeah, right :shakehead There is no comparison between he and Henne, and all you keep doing is blame the record strictly on him.

Yes, he needs to improve certain areas, but he has become better and better since coming into the league. Aside from his deep ball, Id like to see what are these negatives. His pocket presence? If you watched last season, it was much improved as the season went on, as he got more used to Lazor's offense? What else is it? His decision making? I would think career highs in yards, TDs, and accuracy is a pretty good indication that he is improving, while being sacked 50+ times, and not being able to go through his progressions.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I have a feeling the baseball product in Miami will not change until both Loria and Samson's influence is completely eradicated. Loria thinks he's Steinbrunner and Samson is his little appointed successor. I doubt we'll ever see either of them give up their influence. At the same time, the Dolphins won't have a shot in h3ll at winning the AFC East until both Belichick and Brady leave the Patriots. The Heat still have Riley and he's a genius. So, it's possible the Heat could be competitive again very soon.

I just hope the Panthers begin a new era of consistent playoff appearances and eventually a cup.

Last edited:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I have a feeling the baseball product in Miami will not change until both Loria and Samson's influence is completely eradicated. Loria thinks he's Steinbrunner and Samson is his little appointed successor. I doubt we'll ever see either of them give up their influence. At the same time, the Dolphins won't have a shot in h3ll at winning the AFC East until both Belichick and Brady leave the Patriots. The Heat still have Riley and he's a genius. So, it's possible the Heat could be competitive again very soon.

I just hope the Panthers begin a new era of consistent playoff appearances and eventually a cup.

That may be true, but I'm just hoping for a wildcard spot. could be doable this year.

Getting Dragic re-signed would be big for Miami.
A starting unit of:
Dragic-Wade-Deng-Bosh-Whiteside
With depth of:
Chalmers-Johnson-Ennis-Haslem-McRoberts-10th overall pick

Would be solid till Wade gets injured again.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees

Hypothetically lets say Loria sells the team tomorrow. Who from Miami and is rich and cares enough about baseball to buy them? I cant think of anyone.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
That may be true, but I'm just hoping for a wildcard spot. could be doable this year.

Getting Dragic re-signed would be big for Miami.
A starting unit of:
Dragic-Wade-Deng-Bosh-Whiteside
With depth of:
Chalmers-Johnson-Ennis-Haslem-McRoberts-10th overall pick

Would be solid till Wade gets injured again.

Read somewhere Dragic would love to play for Rick Carlisle. I am so onboard with that :naughty:

Money will be a big hurdle, but I know Cuban is targeting D.Jordan and Lamarcus Aldridge to take over for Dirk, who already said he is willing to come off the bench next year.

Maybe we can lure The Dragon with that line-up

Drag-TBD-Parsons-Aldridge-DeAndre Jordan

Dirk
Devin Harris

I can dig that

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Read somewhere Dragic would love to play for Rick Carlisle. I am so onboard with that :naughty:

Money will be a big hurdle, but I know Cuban is targeting D.Jordan and Lamarcus Aldridge to take over for Dirk, who already said he is willing to come off the bench next year.

Maybe we can lure The Dragon with that line-up

Drag-TBD-Parsons-Aldridge-DeAndre Jordan

Dirk
Devin Harris

I can dig that

Dragic's preference is to stay in Miami. Its just going to come down to the money.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
ZSU5pn0.jpg

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Marlins are fine, #1 starter out and #2 should not be pitching. Long term looks good.

I think Miami has a chance in the AFC because if the Brady suspension is upheld, the Pats could easily be 1-3 to start the year.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Marlins are fine, #1 starter out and #2 should not be pitching. Long term looks good.

I think Miami has a chance in the AFC because if the Brady suspension is upheld, the Pats could easily be 1-3 to start the year.
The Marlins are far from fine. They are a train wreck. The Cardinals lost their #1 starter too and they are at the top of their division. That's a good team, #1 starter goes down does not change that. And I'm pretty sure if the #2 starter went down for any amount of time, they would still be the Cardinals, a good team. This is Jeffrey Loria's Marlins. This team is just not good. This organization is not good.
At the most we could hope for is Fernandez comes back and pitches at 100% health and also with Alvarez back, maybe we jump a couple of teams in our division. And that's the absolute best scenario I think we can hope for. This team is not good at baseball right now, they have some talent, but talent is only one of a mountain of factors throughout the organization that go into winning (that goes for hockey too by the way).

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

Well, the Pats started 2-2 last year and went on to win the Super Bowl. Also, even if Brady if out for a couple games, they still have an incredible team with arguably the best football coach of all time. I wouldn't use the word "easily". Remember they went 11-5 with Matt Cassel back in '08.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Dragic's preference is to stay in Miami. Its just going to come down to the money.

We shall see. Left phoenix even though they were throwing money at him.

Seems to me he likes $$ AND the system or play style. Dude likes to have control of the ball and offense.

Not to mention they may not even have the cap space to afford a max deal

Last edited:

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell

You know I respect your opinions as much as anyone on HF when it comes to all things Miami sports, but right now I just can't with this team. This Jennings thing was NOTHING like when they hired Jack. Grandpa Jack already had a good deal of managerial experience & also had played the game. Jennings can say none of that, other than a brief stint in frigging 1984 as a high school coach. This is an embarrasment & I don't see it getting better anytime soon. I pray that a few months from now you will come back and laugh at this post, but I will be shocked if thats the case.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The Marlins are far from fine. They are a train wreck. The Cardinals lost their #1 starter too and they are at the top of their division. That's a good team, #1 starter goes down does not change that. And I'm pretty sure if the #2 starter went down for any amount of time, they would still be the Cardinals, a good team. This is Jeffrey Loria's Marlins. This team is just not good. This organization is not good.

Comparing them to the Cardinals is crazy though. I had them with 85 wins on the mlb thread here on HF, and that was with the expectation that Alvarez would be his 2014 self. If he was, this team is probably 500. Honestly between him and Cishek they could easily be over that mark.

Well, the Pats started 2-2 last year and went on to win the Super Bowl. Also, even if Brady if out for a couple games, they still have an incredible team with arguably the best football coach of all time. I wouldn't use the word "easily". Remember they went 11-5 with Matt Cassel back in '08.

Pats schedule is hard though. Tbf I don't know much about their backup, but aside from the Jags game it's really tough, while the Dolphins schedule is pretty easy. I'm not sure about incredible, they lost more than they gained this off-season. The whole division looks pretty even, imagine if the Bills or Jets had a qb

You know I respect your opinions as much as anyone on HF when it comes to all things Miami sports, but right now I just can't with this team. This Jennings thing was NOTHING like when they hired Jack. Grandpa Jack already had a good deal of managerial experience & also had played the game. Jennings can say none of that, other than a brief stint in frigging 1984 as a high school coach. This is an embarrasment & I don't see it getting better anytime soon. I pray that a few months from now you will come back and laugh at this post, but I will be shocked if thats the case.

I agree the Jennings things is an embarrassment. I still like the core though and had no playoff expectations. If they keep everyone they *should* be ok.

And you should know I'm trolling about Loria, while am appreciative for him keeping the team here long term, I don't think he's good, but after reading so much **** about the Panthers going to quebec I love rubbing in what happened to the Expos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad