Confirmed with Link: All Encompassing Arena Talk: Meruelo focused on winning auction, but now may be looking for buyers (in and out of state)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I prefer Arizona. BA is Raising Arizona Coyotes.:D
tumblr_n5cg1pAxrO1qfn9wxo1_400.gif

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Everyone can relax........ or not. :laugh:

Via PHNX Discord....... been told there won't be an auction listing today. Looking more like next week now.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I lean towards optimism on this getting done with Phoenix as it looks like they scuttled the Tempe plans knowing that Phoenix had this option around the corner. We'll likely never know as they would never reveal their cards on something like this, but they so clearly did just a token campaign for the vote in Tempe, and then very shortly after the vote they already had the Phoenix plan in the works.

I understand you have backups, but I also wonder if Phoenix didn't make Meruelo a serious offer until he had a serious option with Tempe going, and that's why they could have a seemingly solid plan in place with Tempe, only to falter on what would be the final steps before the vote (lack of campaigning, also wasn't there a debater who couldn't make a flight last minute - maybe that's a bit too conspiracy theory).

The consternation from the NHL I could see stemming from Meruelo having the Tempe plan so close, but then him deciding that the Phoenix option is so much better. The NHL looks at it and is like, that was a perfectly good solution and now you want to discard it and risk everything on a pie-in-the-sky opportunity with Phoenix. I could see why a bunch of non-Meruelo actors here question a choice to go back into limbo over stability.

Anyway, I'm done rambling, but if he's really orchestrated something akin to this, then I'd be quite confident in the whole thing getting done. However, there's no chance we'll get a view of what's really gone on in the background to ever substantiate anything like this.

Nowotny

Dec 29, 2021
East Valley,AZ
AI thinks I'm joking.

profile picture

It seems like any news related to the Arizona Coyotes is a major breaking story in Canada; especially news related to relocation and/or arena updates. Does Canada issue an amber alert to its citizens anytime some news is released about the Arizona Coyotes?​

I understand you're joking about the importance of Arizona Coyotes news in Canada. While hockey is popular in Canada, Amber Alerts are extremely serious and only issued for child abduction emergencies.
There's no Canadian equivalent of Amber Alerts for sports news. Canadians would likely get Coyotes updates through regular news channels, not emergency alerts.

profile picture

edit

I'm not joking. Arena renderings of the the new arena were released earlier today and all of Canada is losing their shit again!​

gemini_sparkle_v002_d4735304ff6292a690345.svg

🚀
That's hilarious! While I can't verify reports of all of Canada freaking out over Coyotes arena news (it likely has more to do with local Arizona fans being excited), there are a couple of things to consider:
  1. Local News vs. National News: The Arizona Coyotes arena situation is a big deal in Arizona, especially for hockey fans. Local news outlets there would definitely cover it as breaking news. It's possible the story is being picked up by some national sports networks in Canada, but it wouldn't be the top story everywhere.
Given the widespread use of assisted suicide in Canada I m sure Canadians would love to euthanize Coyotes

• Wow
Reactions: Kaizen

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I believe this is it. The NHL has been questioning AM moves and probably have tried to buy him out. (All-star break) AM said FU and lawyered up. Now it's in NHL court, increase the money, force the sale and prepare for legal battle or give AM rope and hopefully build a case. Everything hinges on franchise agreement and sale contract. The wording is so critical. I believe the NHL wants AZ market but do not want AM 6 to 8 years tank in a college barn.
I want whatever you're smoking and copious amounts of it.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
T

The overconfidence made ‘em look like asshat’s, is what it did.
My pet conspiracy theory is they found out about Phoenix location and wanted it badly but TED was too far down the tracks already so they decided to let the chips fall where they may. I wouldn't go as far as saying they tried to make TED fail but more of "lets scale back resources on it and if it fails oh well" kind of approach because in their minds the new spot is arguably a better situation anyway, especially for the top shelf pitch.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
My pet conspiracy theory is they found out about Phoenix location and wanted it badly but TED was too far down the tracks already so they decided to let the chips fall where they may. I wouldn't go as far as saying they tried to make TED fail but more of "lets scale back resources on it and if it fails oh well" kind of approach because in their minds the new spot is arguably a better situation anyway, especially for the top shelf pitch.
Well, anything's possible, they sure as shit didn't put much into the campaign, but I think their arrogance and subsequent complete deflation the night of the vote say's otherwise.

Reactions: moosemeister

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
When TED failed the conspiracy theory was that there was no backup plan, now the conspiracy theory is that not only did they have a backup plan for TED, but that TED was the backup plan all along!

Reactions: Jakey53

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Well, anything's possible, they sure as shit didn't put much into the campaign, but I think their arrogance and subsequent complete deflation the night of the vote say's otherwise.
Yeah there's no way they let this drag on this long by tanking the Tempe thing because this site came up. Not only that, look how long it took to get this thing to the point where they just get to bid on the damn land. It's not even purchased yet. I think they are just that incompetent, arrogant or whatever you want to call it. Anyone that's been in this market for a significant amount of time knew that vote had very little chance to succeed. They damn well should have had a plan B ready to go and certainly didn't with the amount of time that's gone by. I still think he should have enlisted a Jerry Collangelo type of guy to get this thing done. He needs someone with not only Arizona knowledge but Arizona connections too. Very short-sighted to not hire someone like that right when he took over the organization especially considering the fact that they planned to shit on Glendale and get a new arena before he even signed the ownership papers.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
It's mine too lol. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. How else can you explain a perfect plan that they just quit on completely? They didn't even try.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
Running on a campaign of billionaires sucks, you're going to have a lot more traffic and taxes. It is no wonder it lost at the polls, especially in Tempe. Of course, it probably is the best deal Tempe will ever see for that land, and unquestionably, it's the best arena deal that Arizona has ever seen since at least the Madhouse on McDowell. It was a really good deal that was actually fair, but that is logical. I think AM and company considered the facts and thought it would breeze through based on the merits of the agreement. they forgot the first rule of politics, that people are stupid and easily blustered into voting against their own best interests. Something that really surprised me, to be honest.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
It's baffling that AM would have been outspent 3-1 on a campaign by people who he could entirely buy out if he wanted. I can therefore only assume he is/was broke in terms of liquidity and/or was too overconfident/didn't care enough.

Reactions: Nowotny

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Right guys….. Alex Meruelo was going to blow three years worth of negotiations and several million dollars on a diversion.

View attachment 841518
I have absolutely no idea how people come up with these conspiracies. They think changing locations is a easy as changing tires on your car. TED was the plan, they lost, they moved on to plan B.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Running on a campaign of billionaires sucks, you're going to have a lot more traffic and taxes. It is no wonder it lost at the polls, especially in Tempe. Of course, it probably is the best deal Tempe will ever see for that land, and unquestionably, it's the best arena deal that Arizona has ever seen since at least the Madhouse on McDowell. It was a really good deal that was actually fair, but that is logical. I think AM and company considered the facts and thought it would breeze through based on the merits of the agreement. they forgot the first rule of politics, that people are stupid and easily blustered into voting against their own best interests. Something that really surprised me, to be honest.
I agree, and Bettman said the same thing happened in Columbus. Like you said people are stupid.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's baffling that AM would have been outspent 3-1 on a campaign by people who he could entirely buy out if he wanted. I can therefore only assume he is/was broke in terms of liquidity and/or was too overconfident/didn't care enough.
Also their message was completely lacking in coherence. The ads they did run (very few) were very long winded and far too difficult to decipher. Truly a terrible effort.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Yeah there's no way they let this drag on this long by tanking the Tempe thing because this site came up. Not only that, look how long it took to get this thing to the point where they just get to bid on the damn land. It's not even purchased yet. I think they are just that incompetent, arrogant or whatever you want to call it. Anyone that's been in this market for a significant amount of time knew that vote had very little chance to succeed. They damn well should have had a plan B ready to go and certainly didn't with the amount of time that's gone by. I still think he should have enlisted a Jerry Collangelo type of guy to get this thing done. He needs someone with not only Arizona knowledge but Arizona connections too. Very short-sighted to not hire someone like that right when he took over the organization especially considering the fact that they planned to shit on Glendale and get a new arena before he even signed the ownership papers.
Anyone, but XG would have been a good start.

It's mine too lol. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. How else can you explain a perfect plan that they just quit on completely? They didn't even try.
They tried, problem was it was in the final hours.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The safe vote was the no vote, for those that were not informed. It was up to the team to inform them. You can’t expect folks that don’t give a rip about hockey to go out of their way to get informed, landfill, or not because the landfill represents status quo…. IE: no change.

I agree, and Bettman said the same thing happened in Columbus. Like you said people are stupid.
Asshats are stupid and stupid people make excuses for asshat moves.

Reactions: Nowotny
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad