Confirmed with Link: All Encompassing Arena Talk: Meruelo focused on winning auction, but now may be looking for buyers (in and out of state)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Meruelo and Tempe officials assumed the vote would pass. They were not anticipating the anti-tax and Marxist free housing folks joining forces. In retrospect Tempe should have anticipated Phoenix getting involved with constant chatter of D-Backs and Suns possibly leaving. Coyotes and Tempe bungled it. Spilt milk now. Hopefully the land purchase works.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
if you were a billionaire you wouldn't be posting on a message board

1711482852262.png

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I did tell you all when he was in the building prior to purchase and was enthused. I wouldn’t waste a dime on a team in this pathetic market, have said that for years.

Edit: but no, I don’t have that kind of scratch.

Meruelo, like other businessmen of his stature, are very interested in pro team ownership even if they couldn't care less about the sport itself, because team expenditures and losses are a great way to game the tax system for the ultrawealthy. That's why we'll most likely never go wanting for a buyer.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Meruelo, like other businessmen of his stature, are very interested in pro team ownership even if they couldn't care less about the sport itself, because team expenditures and losses are a great way to game the tax system for the ultrawealthy. That's why we'll most likely never go wanting for a buyer.
They can, , but there's also the fact that there hasn't been anyone with that kind of wealth willing to take it on, until Meruelo (he's also on the low end of that spectrum) and this was his second choice. Bettman tried for years and we all witnessed what that brought.

Reactions: RemoAZ and Kai Yo T

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
AM's "bull in a china shop" persona works to our advantage. The guy is a fighter, the BOG knows this, and maybe a little afraid of his actions if they tried to force anything on him.

I wouldn't bet against him.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Is that Simon and Garfunkel?
Well, it's definitely a
lie la lie
lie la lie lie....

AM's "bull in a china shop" persona works to our advantage. The guy is a fighter, the BOG knows this, and maybe a little afraid of his actions if they tried to force anything on him.

That's starting to be my belief as well.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

If Mureulo acted that way he would already be gone and probably wouldn't have been in the Club to start with. He's there because the league wants AZ and he is still their best bet to get it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I wouldn't call AM a bull in a china shop, rather a smart persistent business man that knows what he's doing. If you want to call him a fighter, that's fine. As far as the NHL goes they aren't afraid of his actions. They know exactly what AM is doing and as of right now AM has done nothing wrong, so the NHL has no legal grounds to force anything on AM.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Speaking of this and for a person with little knowledge of east side I played golf at Troon North yesterday driving back down Scottsdale Road to 101. Is that where land parcel is located?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad