All Bruins trade proposals/rumors: XXXI: Chia you got some splainin to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Not sure I follow. Still plenty of time to move bodies in the summer.

Unless you mean not moving out pending UFA's (Yeti in particular), in which case there was a pretty slim chance that would happen considering they're still most likely to get into the playoffs. If they were willing to expend assets to acquire potential UFA's (Stewart etc) there was no way they were going to part with the guys they already have.

I agree. Way too many people on these boards think we should have traded Soderberg (for picks or prospects) at the deadline but that's not what 8th place GM's do. Especially ones that have been called out by their boss pretty much saying he will be fired if he doesn't make the playoffs.

I would have liked to see it happen, but it wouldn't have made sense for Chia at the time and that's where the disconnect is.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
You are asking for a team to pick up salary for like five years I am sure they are not interested in doing that . I know teams have been picking up salary for a yr or two but is anyone doing it for a half a decade. I thought you meant pick up salary for a year so I felt it was a terrible deal. I am not the right guy to ask on Loui because I love what he brings to the table.

Understood. Once a team commits to retaining salary, it is for the entire contract term. At the deadline the leafs were willing to retain salary on Phaneuf.

So looking back at the original deal and knowing you have Phaneuf at 5.25 for 5 years would you take that as your second pairing partner?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
if you can make a second trade happen where we send Seidenberg to a soft landing spot and then find a character vet off the ufa market to replace Kelly on the fourth line at around 1.5 mill then im all over your idea here.

losing riley smith hurts a bit but im ok with Connolly/pastrnak being pencilled into the depth chart ahead of him. there are always options to use 3.5 mill cap space to find a warm body to replace smith in the top 9.

phaneuf upgrades over Seidenberg much more than a 3.5 mill ufa forward would downgrade over smith. the difference is worth the first round pick

its actually a fairly steep price to pay as far as talent so I don't think Toronto would get a better offer... but their eating cap is a huge pill for them to swallow. ive heard that they aren't too keen to retain salary and would prefer to take back a bad contract instead?

I also heard the same but again that might change during the season. Basically, they would have Phaneuf on the books for 1.75 for the next five years while the Bruins have him at a reasonable 5.25. If you can move Seidenberg then you are swapping Seidenberg out for Phaneuf at 1.25 million more. BUT given the recent contract given to Smith as well as the Kelly money, the Bruins would bring in 5.25 for Phaneuf and send out 6.4 million in Kelly and Smith.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Lucic - Krejci - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - Connolly
ELC - Spooner - Eriksson
ELC - Talbot - ELC

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - Phaneuf
Krug - Miller
Morrow

Rask
Subban

Correct me if I'm wrong but this lineup looks better and I believe it is cheaper than this years roster. I really wish they had gotten value for Soderberg at the deadline.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think Toronto would take back Seidenberg over retaining on Dion. When Seids contact is off the books in three years is around when Toronto will care about the cap.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I did not want him making big trades for rentals, as I don't think this team is going far (outside of Rask going nuts), but this "stand pat" position wasn't the answer either. Be proactive, not reactive.

I really liked the Connolly deal, hated the Talbot deal (even at 50% retained), but feel his day was defined by his lack of action to making the organization better going forward, especially when I don't think it would have done much damage in the present.

Definitely agree.

The Trade Deadline should of been a fork in the road for Chiarelli.

Load up for a playoff run (bad choice IMO)

Or

Sell and set up for next year.

He did neither. I am a fan of the Connolly deal. I'd rather have moved a prospect like Spooner or Khoklachev and a later pick rather than two 2nds, but that's just nit picking.

I'd rather have taken some later round picks (4/5/6/7 round) for Kelly/Paille/Campbell(doubtful) than let them stand pat.

I would have been more than OK doing both the Talbot and Connolly deal, moving out the above mentioned 3, and rolling Talbot/Cunningham/Ferlin as a 4th line for the remainder of the year. You get a nice long look and a very good idea of what you have in Cunningham and Ferlin by doing that.

Soderberg better be coming back at a sweetheart deal, otherwise why was he kept.

Its nice we are bringing all these players back, but these same players are the reason we are battling for the last playoff spot.

I'm of the opinion that one of the top 6 has to go. Things need to be shaken up. Too much complacency. Barring a very strong close to the season, I'm leaning towards it being Lucic.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
I agree. Way too many people on these boards think we should have traded Soderberg (for picks or prospects) at the deadline but that's not what 8th place GM's do. Especially ones that have been called out by their boss pretty much saying he will be fired if he doesn't make the playoffs.

I would have liked to see it happen, but it wouldn't have made sense for Chia at the time and that's where the disconnect is.

Calgary - Glencross?

(I like Soda and would only trade him if he won't re-sign or take a discount)

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Lucic - Krejci - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - Connolly
ELC - Spooner - Eriksson
ELC - Talbot - ELC

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - Phaneuf
Krug - Miller
Morrow

Rask
Subban

Correct me if I'm wrong but this lineup looks better and I believe it is cheaper than this years roster. I really wish they had gotten value for Soderberg at the deadline.

I'm really hoping for some bigger changers...one or two big name players moved for skill/speed. Chara for promising D plus and Krejci or Lucic for Hall. Need some changes.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Calgary - Glencross?

(I like Soda and would only trade him if he won't re-sign or take a discount)

A little differnt. Calgary has told its fans that they are rebuilding. Being a bubble team is a surprise. Glencross was an unhappy vet who was not part of the plans for the future due to role on the team vrs salary expectations.

Under normal conditions no team in the playoff hunt normally ever deals off ufa vets for picks at the deadline

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Understood. Once a team commits to retaining salary, it is for the entire contract term. At the deadline the leafs were willing to retain salary on Phaneuf.

So looking back at the original deal and knowing you have Phaneuf at 5.25 for 5 years would you take that as your second pairing partner?

No I still wouldn't make that trade but its reasonable looking at it that way.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
Thought of this in the Lucic thread, but realized it belongs here.

I'm making an assumption that Lawson Crouse goes 4th overall. Say Edmonton has this pick. Would they take Lucic and Spooner/Morrow for their 4th overall and Darnell Nurse?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Not me.

Hes one of the dumbest players Ive seen in 50 years. And waaaaay over paid.

He is overpaid. Is he 3 million better than the also overpaid Seidenberg, though? I think he could really thrive on the second pairing instead of playing the Chara role he plays in Tor.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Someone has to go now, right? And I don't mean fringe guys like Paille or Campbell or Bartkowski, but one of Loui/Looch/Yeti/Seidenberg/Smith.

Right? I mean, maybe I have this wrong but they can't fill out the roster with a Hamilton deal and fit them all. So why not sell one of them now at a deadline with high prices? I dont think the loss of one of them would have killed their chances to make the playoffs to be honest. (A Looch deal would have been the hardest to make, but if thats what they are thinking, do it.)

Kelly traded is enough, but I think we need more changes:

Code:
Lucic	        6000	   Krejci	   7250         Pastrnak	 925
Marchand	4500	   Bergeron	   6500	  Connolly	1000
Smith	        3425	   Soderberg   3500	  Eriksson	4250
Gazdic	787	   Talbot	     875	   Ferlin       825
Spooner	1000				  

Chara	       6917	   Hamilton	  4250		
Morrow	863	  Seidenberg 4000		
Krug	       3400	   Miller	   800		
Trotman	625				

Rask	       7000				
Svedberg	800				

Payroll	69492

Salary Cap	71000

Cap Space	1508 (Savard on LTIR)

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I know this has been beaten like a dead horse, but man it blows me away that Chia didn't land a D-man at the deadline. We literally have 6 NHL D right now. If someone gets hurt then we are in big trouble. I think Morrow could step in, but that's an awful lot of pressure to put on a guy.

It's bad enough he didn't replace Boychuk, but not having Miller means it was mandatory for him to get a D and he didn't. It's just baffling to me.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
I know this has been beaten like a dead horse, but man it blows me away that Chia didn't land a D-man at the deadline. We literally have 6 NHL D right now. If someone gets hurt then we are in big trouble. I think Morrow could step in, but that's an awful lot of pressure to put on a guy.

It's bad enough he didn't replace Boychuk, but not having Miller means it was mandatory for him to get a D and he didn't. It's just baffling to me.

Cannot agree more....
A huge area that needed help and still needs help, especially more so down the road.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Would you do Seidenberg + Subban + Koko for Dion?

No, I'm not so sure Dion is even an upgrade on a healthy Seidenberg, let alone adding in Boston's best forward prospect and goalie prospect.

I might consider it if Dion was a right-shot, but considering both he and Seidenberg are left-shots that are better on the right side I wouldn't take on Dion's cap hit over Seidenberg, and Toronto isn't taking on the 3.5 mil(50%) to make it worthwhile to bring in Neon Dion.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I'm assuming any deal he had in place for a defenseman fell through.

Chiarelli's best deadline move right now is NOT moving Spooner for scraps or a rental (even though it was rumored that he made an offer earlier).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad