Speculation: All Bruins trade proposals/rumors XIV: Getting down to crunch time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

For this latest addition to the trade thread omnibus, I'm adding a poll.

I hope I have the options all covered. If your answer is more specific, then feel free to add. But it SHOULD fit into one of these categories.

What we're looking for here is not what you WANT to happen... But what you think WILL happen. What do you see as the most likely scenario considering all factors (cap next season, contracts to be re-signed, Charlie Jacobs' criticism, "one step in a series of moves", the current place in the standings, etc).

You can vote for multiple options.

Last edited:

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Knowing Chiarelli, I think two scenarios is most likely

1. After "evaluating" for the entire trade window, we acquire a "Rolston" at the deadline giving up next to nothing (and then hear stories in Boston media about how prices were so, so, incredibly high, and that Chiarelli didn't want to "force it").

2. After "evaluating" for the entire trade window, we significantly overpay for a rental ala "Kaberle" (Yandle?) at the deadline (and then hear stories in Boston media about how prices were so, so, incredibly high).

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

1. After "evaluating" for the entire trade window, we acquire a "Rolston" at the deadline giving up next to nothing (and then hear stories in Boston media about how prices were so, so, incredibly high, and that Chiarelli didn't want to "force it").

2. After "evaluating" for the entire trade window, we significantly overpay for a rental ala "Kaberle" (Yandle?) at the deadline (and then hear stories in Boston media about how prices were so, so, incredibly high).

The best is during the trade deadline when you see a guy that the Bruins could really use get traded for a 2rd round pick and a mid level prospect. It seems to happen numerous times every year.

I don't think the Bruins will overpay for a rental this season unless it's only done so Chia doesn't lose his job in the off-season.

I don't mind finishing the season in 8th place, taking a stab at the playoffs, and not losing anybody of value. Unless the Bruins can find a top 6 RW, a solid defenseman and get rid of unwanted salary (Kelly etc) then they should just make 1 or 2 small trades for a serviceable veteran while helping the cap situation for the future.

If Soderberg won't take a hometown discount and he's looking for $4.5m+ then this would be a good time to trade him for a RW, LW or defenseman.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
We'll probably end up getting Stewart and maybe an extra bottom pairing defenseman. I'm hoping Chiarelli will surprise and whip up a good deadline but I doubt it. With the potential cap issues to come next season I highly doubt we end up taking more salary here that would continue beyond this season.

I don't think Stewart is any better of an idea than he was earlier in the season. Chris Kelly has better production than Stewart this season. I think people are warming up to him because the deadline is getting closer and there doesn't seem to be anything else going on.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
The reason we have not bought or added anyone this year is because the prices are too "high" --meaning: there are inferior players to Boychuk that are the same price or more.

In short, we sold Boychuk for too little and --unless prices come down-- it would be verified by any trade we do.

How do you not get a 1st for Boychuk?

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
The best is during the trade deadline when you see a guy that the Bruins could really use get traded for a 2rd round pick and a mid level prospect. It seems to happen numerous times every year.

I don't think the Bruins will overpay for a rental this season unless it's only done so Chia doesn't lose his job in the off-season.

I don't mind finishing the season in 8th place, taking a stab at the playoffs, and not losing anybody of value. Unless the Bruins can find a top 6 RW, a solid defenseman and get rid of unwanted salary (Kelly etc) then they should just make 1 or 2 small trades for a serviceable veteran while helping the cap situation for the future.

If Soderberg won't take a hometown discount and he's looking for $4.5m+ then this would be a good time to trade him for a RW, LW or defenseman.

So true. And even worse, it always seems like it's the stupid Habs pulling off those deals, giving away garbage for top player. Sebastian Nobody-berg and a 2nd round conditional for Vanek, FFS.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
The reason we have not bought or added anyone this year is because the prices are too "high" --meaning: there are inferior players to Boychuk that are the same price or more.

In short, we sold Boychuk for too little and --unless prices come down-- it would be verified by any trade we do.

I don't believe for a second that anyone would have given up a first for him.

Consensus among those I've talked to (as I was looking at a Boychuk trade all summer) is that his value was in and around one second round pick. Chiarelli got two of 'em... Something that the Oilers wanted no part of attempting to trump.

That's not to say that I'm happy about the deal. I'm not. I don't think you can just subtract, subtract, subtract without trying to add and expect to be in good shape. But make no mistake, Johnny Boychuk returned more than he should have in terms of value.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I don't believe for a second that anyone would have given up a first for him.

Consensus among those I've talked to (as I was looking at a Boychuk trade all summer) is that his value was in and around one second round pick. Chiarelli got two of 'em... Something that the Oilers wanted no part of attempting to trump.

That's not to say that I'm happy about the deal. I'm not. I don't think you can just subtract, subtract, subtract without trying to add and expect to be in good shape. But make no mistake, Johnny Boychuk returned more than he should have in terms of value.

I agree ,time will tell whether or not those two second round picks will net us anything close to what we need. Even without a deal I think this year's Bruins D has the potential to be better than last year's. I am liking the 2nd pairing of Seidenberg and McQuaid and I think McQuaid on the 2nd pair is working out better than any of Bart,Miller or Krug. Seidenberg's improved play lately has obviously made the 2nd pairing better also. Remember we didn't have Seidenberg of McQuaid against Montreal last year and their absence was felt.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I do hope that if they're gonna make some trades, they make them soon. You have to give them time to find their place on the team, time to find the right pairings.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I do hope that if they're gonna make some trades, they make them soon. You have to give them time to find their place on the team, time to find the right pairings.

They most likely want to extend some guys first before going out and making some trade(s). The problem with that is, we don't know what the cap will be come next season yet.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

Actually we got a great deal for Boychuk if you compare the return for all past pending UFA dmen of recent years.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Get Soderberg resigned. I'd rather trade him to Chicago at the deadline and write off the season than lose him for nothing

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Actually we got a great deal for Boychuk if you compare the return for all past pending UFA dmen of recent years.

Agree to disagree.

From what I remember, Meszaros was a 7th Dman for the Flyers with healthy scratches mixed in and went for a 3rd. Boychuk was our #2 last year and is a proven playoff stud. If Meszaros is worth a 3rd, Boychuk is worth a 1st.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Get Soderberg resigned. I'd rather trade him to Chicago at the deadline and write off the season than lose him for nothing

Now that would be abandoning the season, unless you get something in return for him that fills a bigger hole.

You can trade a Boychuk before the season starts because there is time to replace him if the internal options don't work out, and quite simply they had few real options to create the needed capspace

Now if you tell me you can trade Soderberg, McQuaid and a prospect, and bring in someone who is a clear upgrade on the top 2 RW, AND a clear upgrade over McQuaid on the second pairing, while bringing in guys who are locked up for a couple of years. Then year you can make a deal of Soderberg

If you dead Soderberg for 2 #2's at this point, that would be an epic failure, and would destroy this teams playoff chances

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They most likely want to extend some guys first before going out and making some trade(s). The problem with that is, we don't know what the cap will be come next season yet.

C'moon Chia sign them and start making trades :laugh:, he has to know at this point what they're wanting.
Have to wonder though how they haven't signed Hamilton already. Minnesota signed their youngsters long time ago.

I hope soderberg stays, it's gonna be huge loss for bruins if he goes after the money, there's no chance that he gets the same amount of money as krecji does as a 3rd line centre.

I think that at january 1st NHL should announce what the cap is and give the teams some peace.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014

This.
Soda is a valuable trade chip, and you've got your best opportunity to extend him inexpensively now. Once free agency happens, the price will go up and he might get an offer he can't refuse, and walk.

Back to the original topic -- I expect a rental (a dubious one) because of the pressure from Charlie J. I'd prefer to see them do some long term moves - they hurt the team trying to back themselves out of the cap hole they dug last year - they need to either complete that process or fix the roster issues.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

I would have kept Boychuck and risked losing him for nothing . That kind of thinking presumes we would have more success with Soderberg at a later date than we do right now and that kind of thinking is something I could never get behind,particularly coming off a disastrous loss to Montreal.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Chiarelli will do what you first said.But mostly cause he cornered himself against cap.Heck Boston basically gave away one of best D man they had in Boychuck and are still trapped good.Chiarelli dug some hole.
If Chiarelli does not sign Soderberg or at least move him for something he should BE FIRED.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I wouldnt say getting 2 top 9 fowards and what we thought to be a top 4 defensemen minor

But I think we'll aquire 1 top 6 Dman and 1 Top 9 winger

and if healthy head into the playoffs with a lineup of

Lucic-Krejci-Pastrnak
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith/Top 9 Winger
Top 9 Winger/Smith-Soderberg-Eriksson
Paille-Kelly-Cunningham/Campbell

Chara-Seidenberg
New D-Hamilton
Mcquaid-Krug
Miller

Tuukka

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I wouldnt say getting 2 top 9 fowards and what we thought to be a top 4 defensemen minor

But I think we'll aquire 1 top 6 Dman and 1 Top 9 winger

and if healthy head into the playoffs with a lineup of

Lucic-Krejci-Pastrnak
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith/Top 9 Winger
Top 9 Winger/Smith-Soderberg-Eriksson
Paille-Kelly-Cunningham/Campbell

Chara-Seidenberg
New D-Hamilton
Mcquaid-Krug
Miller

Tuukka

Your assuming price some cheap.How Bruins gonna get under cap doing that without moving roster player in return?

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
I'm torn on this one. I voted for the minor restructuring of the bottom 6 (But i would add a steady DFD in there as well) because that is what I want to see. But I really don't know how that is possible at all considering the trade proposals I have seen this year. I don't like Stewart, Kassian, Petry, etc.

Realistically, I expect draft picks and/or prospects being shipped out for experienced bottom 6 forwards and/or 5/6 defenseman. I apologize for being a bummer.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

I wish we could make one soon, too, but the real gems come out at the deadline, when the teams are out of the playoffs and are about to blow it up. That's when guys like Kesler last year become available. I don't want to make a trade to make a trade. We need a difference maker, some guy who can really help this team. A top-6 forward or #4 defenseman.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I wish we could make one soon, too, but the real gems come out at the deadline, when the teams are out of the playoffs and are about to blow it up. That's when guys like Kesler last year become available. I don't want to make a trade to make a trade. We need a difference maker, some guy who can really help this team. A top-6 forward or #4 defenseman.

Yeah that's true, but can we really except to get player like kesler with limited cap space (under2mil?), there are already teams that are ready to sell and players like sekera wouldn't cost too much. How about sekera now for that #4 spot and then top 6forward closer to deadline?
Main thing is that Chia doesn't make an idiotic trade, trade that gets us nowhere this year and damages the future badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad