Proposal: All Bruins Trade Proposals IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
If we are talking about going "all in" this year and you had to move one of these two players to improve the team, who do you move and why:

Jake DeBrusk or Torey Krug

Arguments to be made for both players

Debrusk
Pro: young and can be protected in the Expansion draft. We are light on wingers right now so losing a certified NHL scoring winger might not be wise.
Con: Has injury history and already a few nasty concussions. Can run cold when trying to play through those injuries so seems spoty. Value is less than Krug, but his young age still has value. The Bruins playstyle will suffer less with a loss of Jake than Torey. Well liked on the team. Would not be a popular exit.

Krug
Pro: UFA this summer who deserves a BIG raise that Boston would be hard pressed to pay. Even if we sign him he could be exposed in the expansion draft if we choose to protect Gryzelcyk. If we protect Krug then we open Gryz to be taken. Has immense trade value due to his scoring ability and would have no lack of suitors. Excellent trade chip in any deal for anyone in the NHL. Most GMs would love him on their team. Plenty of prospects and vets to take his spot on the team.
Con: No replacement right now for his offense. Bruins current style of play is mainly based around Krug and his talents, so moving him would be a large playstyle change for the whole team. Very well liked in the locker room and part of the leadership, would not be a popular move.

So IMO, short term move Jake to get a winger now. But for long term gains move Torey so we can keep Gryz from Seattle.

This could be argued over for quite awaile really.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
If we are talking about going "all in" this year and you had to move one of these two players to improve the team, who do you move and why:

All depends on the return of course, but I think Debrusk would be the easiest to replace. I feel inserting Bjork in at LW where Jake is and you won't see much of a drop off in production and if Debrusk can bring in a RW who's as equally gifted, or if you need too add a little to bring in a better return you do it.

Krug is a machine on the pp and his play in last years playoffs was second to no-one.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Funny how a streaky scorer goes on a cold streak and now the OLDER Bjork who has scored 5 goals in 50 games will be able to replace your 27 goal scorer from a year ago. Clearly that line is getting frustrated. DeBrusk will be fine.

Is that what is happening? Or are folks ruminating on trading from an area of relative strength to an area of weakness? Seems like people know exactly who Jake DeBrusk is. Sadly for us, he is a left shot winger. If he was a righty it would make a significant difference.

Reactions: Strafer

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

I wonder whether Sweeney has Taylor Hall on his radar. Boston could sign him as an UFA during the off-season to, one would hope, a relatively team-friendly deal. Sweeney might also decide to pull the trigger on trading for Hall, especially if New Jersey continues to suck and if an extension could be had. I think that Krug or Debrusk would be the key piece going back. Does Krug's NTC exclude the Devils, though? I also think that having Hall would offset the loss in offense from Krug. If it's Debrusk, then an older, but elite, Hall would replace him (and the Bruins would still have another young, talented winger in Bjork).

Reactions: bbfan419

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
IF the Devil's don't turn it around. Who adds where?

NJD - Hall - Palmieri
Bos - 2020 1st, 2021 2nd, Vaak, Heinen, Frederic, Moore

Essentially - 1st, Vaak, Moore - Hall
2nd, heinen, Frederic - Palmieri

63 - 37 - 88
9 (hall) - 46 - 21 (palmieri)
74 - 13 - 83
20 - 52 - 14

33 - 73
47 - 25
48 - 75

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I wonder whether Sweeney has Taylor Hall on his radar. Boston could sign him as an UFA during the off-season to, one would hope, a relatively team-friendly deal. Sweeney might also decide to pull the trigger on trading for Hall, especially if New Jersey continues to suck and if an extension could be had. I think that Krug or Debrusk would be the key piece going back. Does Krug's NTC exclude the Devils, though? I also think that having Hall would offset the loss in offense from Krug. If it's Debrusk, then an older, but elite, Hall would replace him (and the Bruins would still have another young, talented winger in Bjork).

Can't imagine Krug would be of interest to the Devils. Krug probably has no interest to stay so his value is low to the Devils (unless they flip him). The Devils moving Hall would probably indicate they are going to do a mini-rebuild so young talent would probably be preferred.

IDK I just don't see Hall signing a team friendly deal. Over the last 3 years he ranks 3rd among LW's in P/GP. He's going to be looking for $10+ a year.

Reactions: Lo97 and wintersej

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Can't imagine Krug would be of interest to the Devils. Krug probably has no interest to stay so his value is low to the Devils (unless they flip him). The Devils moving Hall would probably indicate they are going to do a mini-rebuild so young talent would probably be preferred.

IDK I just don't see Hall signing a team friendly deal. Over the last 3 years he ranks 3rd among LW's in P/GP. He's going to be looking for $10+ a year.

Sweeney puts something in player/agents drinks during contract meetings. Perhaps some of that dirty water?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

As the story goes.... He's looking for Marner money + more term

Reactions: Lo97

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Makes sense. Panarin just signed for $11.6 per for 7 years and is probably a good comp for Hall's next deal. You think?

I just don't see how Hall can fit into the Bruins plan beyond this year.

They are gonna want to bring Halak back, then there's Krug, Gryz, Coyle, DeBrusk.

Even with the money coming off the books and even if you could move Backes, there isn't enough cap space.

Then again, the teams that are going to be able to afford the $$ aren't going to win any time soon. So it might come down to how much Hall is willing to leave on the table.

Reactions: Lo97 and Alan Ryan

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

I still think it's DKH still trying to wind us all up, but I can see this as an actual possibility now.
2nd, Vaak, and B prospect of their choice for half a season of Hall?
Boston would have first negotiating rights with him next summer then. I guarentee you Hall would rather play in Boston than NJ right now. So would the rest of their vets :)

Reactions: Estlin

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

They are gonna want to bring Halak back, then there's Krug, Gryz, Coyle, DeBrusk.

Even with the money coming off the books and even if you could move Backes, there isn't enough cap space.

Then again, the teams that are going to be able to afford the $$ aren't going to win any time soon. So it might come down to how much Hall is willing to leave on the table.

Yes, Hall in Boston is probably, at best, unrealistic, but how badly does he want to be on a good team that regularly makes the playoffs and competes for the Stanley Cup? He's been on bad teams throughout his career and has all of five playoff games to show for it. Maybe he does decide to leave some money on the table if it means playing for a strong organization and competitive team (e.g., Boston).

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

Will Butcher was seen as their "Krug" but is not trending that way, if you watch him he takes huge shots from the point that never make it toward the next. Krug is not a sniper either, but he would change that teams offensive structure immediately. They might need a new coach though.

The cap hit for Hall is a ligitimate point. It makes no sense to add a possible 10m cap hit guy to a team that needs cap space to sign its own players. We will need that cap in a few years. If Hall re-signs in Boston for 8, I think we still do it.
We become double the threat that we were. We would have a serious shot at the cup this season and any over the next few years while our core can still produce.

Get another cup with these guys. You HAVE to do it. Especially if a former recent Hart winner like Hall wants to be a part of your team(rumored)

Reactions: TCB and Estlin

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Yes, Hall in Boston is probably, at best, unrealistic, but how badly does he want to be on a good team that regularly makes the playoffs and competes for the Stanley Cup? He's been on bad teams throughout his career and has all of five playoff games to show for it. Maybe he does decide to leave some money on the table if it means playing for a strong organization and competitive team (e.g., Boston).

It was mentioned over the summer that he was quoted as being frustrated at being on losing teams and wants to play for a serious shot at the cup on a legitimate team. To me, that sounds like a guy who would take a few mill less a year to play on a winning team than more in another city.

But we are trying to make guesses using rumors at this point.

Reactions: Lo97 and Estlin

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

This is what I was thinking too. At some point you have to think these insane contract will start to go down. It amazes me that teams use so much cap space on 1-2 players, especially since hockey is such a team sport.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Without a doubt. I would pay almost whatever they wanted.... 1st and Vaak would get it done. I would probably do it. It hurts to think about losing Vaak but I guess that means its a fair offer.
Would you trade Heinen Vakk ,Frederick and Backes for Wood and Palmeri? A line of Wood Coyle Kulman and DeBrusk Krejci Palmeri would seem cup worthy to me lots of speed and added toughness

Reactions: Strafer

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Would you trade Heinen Vakk ,Frederick and Backes for Wood and Palmeri? A line of Wood Coyle Kulman and DeBrusk Krejci Palmeri would seem cup worthy to me lots of speed and added toughness

No that's overpayment. I would not deal Heinen nor Frederic for Wood and I'm not the biggest TFreddy fan but he's still a work in progress.

I would deal Vaak, 2020 1st and 3rd and 2021 2nd for Palmieri and Wood. You would really need to find a way to get rid of Backes though, or Moore or Miller. Bruins cap makes it difficult right now, plus how would the Bruins view Wood?

I would love to see a wood-coyle-Heinen line 3, but where does that leave Kuhlman, who is light years more bright hockey sense wise, but that's it over Wood. Just don't see Wood as a guy the Bruins would target sadly. I really think he's worth a roll of the dice

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
It was mentioned over the summer that he was quoted as being frustrated at being on losing teams and wants to play for a serious shot at the cup on a legitimate team. To me, that sounds like a guy who would take a few mill less a year to play on a winning team than more in another city.

But we are trying to make guesses using rumors at this point.

A few million less per year? I dunno about that.

We're not talking Torey Krug leaving $5 million on the table over 5 years. Hall wants a max term contract - 7 years. A few million a year over 7 years is $21 million.

I just don't see that happening.

Reactions: Lo97 and Strafer

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015

Neither, because they are both huge parts of this teams success. Both create bigger holes in the lineup than we currently have. Even with Krug being a question mark for next season, he's a big part of the reason we had it to the finals last year. Even if they don't come to an agreement I could see them using onto him as a "rental" for the playoffs while still adding another piece of two.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Ok, what about Jamie Benn?

The Stars are another team in freefall.

Not unless they are willing to eat a good chunk of that cap space lol. My concern with Benn is he's already 30yr old and last year his production was the lowest its been in close to 10 years. Sounds like he's not off to a great start this year either.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Not unless they are willing to eat a good chunk of that cap space lol. My concern with Benn is he's already 30yr old and last year his production was the lowest its been in close to 10 years. Sounds like he's not off to a great start this year either.

Nope, which is why I think he would be an easier acquire. But again, his decline is a risk. Think he might do well on Krejci's RW but thats a lot of money to gamble on maybe.

LA is off to a bad start. However, all their players that score are young other than Kovalchuk. I think we need to be happy we dodged that bullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad