Proposal: All Bruins Rumours/Proposals 2020 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
We've got 4 weeks until the Trade Deadline. Feels like it would be helpful to show the deadline moves Sweeney has made since he's been GM. Probably gives us an idea of what he'll do this year.

(Acquired - Traded)
John-Michael Liles - 3rd & 5th, & Anthony Camara
Lee Stempniak - 2nd, 4th
Drew Stafford - 5th
Nick Holden - 3rd & Rob O'Gara
3rd - Vatrano
Rick Nash - 1st, 7th, Ryan Spooner, Matt Beleskey, & Ryan Lindgren
Tommy Wingels - 4th
Charlie Coyle - Ryan Donato & 4th
Marcus Johansson - 2nd & 4th

I think the only guarantee is that they're not going to keep at least one of their 2nd or 3rd round picks.

Another thing to consider is that Carolina and Tampa Bay both have 2 1st round picks this year, so they're probably more willing to trade one. Could lead to higher prices.

I always loved lee stempniak. I said to @BruinsFanSince94 i would have preferred giving stempniak the 2 year deal Carolina have him over the deal we gave backes. Imagine how much would have been different.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Righting their ship.

No Sens fan was happy with the way they dismantled, but their turn around looks to be much faster than anyone envision.

They have some of the best prospects around. They'll have two lottery picks this year and its one of the deepest drafts to go along with the 2015 draft since 2003.They also have three 2nds this year.

They have some of the best young players in the league, in the likes of, Thomas Chabot,Brady Tkachuk,Logan Brown,Duclair and Colin White.

A year from today they may have Alexis Lafreniere in their line-up and their most likely will have two more top notch blue chippers.

Their coach has done a fantastic job and I don't think they could of found a better personalty to tutor the young kids.

In 2-3 years their a playoff team.

Colin White has taken a huge step backwards this year and Logan Brown is far from a sure thing. As for the coach, this year he has zero pressure, the expectations are incredibly low, let's see in a couple of years how he does when expectations are raised. I live in Ottawa and trust me when I say that Sens fans are far from convinced that everything is going to work out with the ownership that they have, as well as GM Dorion.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Probably didn't help that Raycroft & Boynton were terrible that year.

i think they were all quitting on us... things just deterriated badly.

thornton was the rare talent that could give a 60% effort and still be very very very good

but he was the leader to this group... when the rest of them gave a 60% effort like their captain, they werent good at all

we got so lucky that raycroft turned into rask… its insane that deal doesnt get talked about more often as a top 10 heist of all time

we also got lucky we drafted lucic with the samsonov traded pick

Boynton brought us back mara which didnt work out to well I guess... and thornton got us stuart

the team was trying to rebuild its blueline... but eventually we got chara/Seidenberg boychuk/ference so it all worked out

the guys we had... were exhibiting bad attitudes that reached its crown when thornton made zero effort on that faceoff loss. if wally says there was an incident on a plane he would know better than I... but it was all a building problem that can be traced back to day 1

thornton simply wasnt a leader in his early days. he never liked the judgement and preasure that management and fans put on him

he wanted to have a lazy fare attitude with his buddies in the locker room.

when scatchard got upset and told these guys act like they give a damn... they simply said fire this clownass

they werent at all open minded to playing hard nose winning caring hockey

Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

thornton was the rare talent that could give a 60% effort and still be very very very good

but he was the leader to this group... when the rest of them gave a 60% effort like their captain, they werent good at all

we got so lucky that raycroft turned into rask… its insane that deal doesnt get talked about more often as a top 10 heist of all time

we also got lucky we drafted lucic with the samsonov traded pick

Boynton brought us back mara which didnt work out to well I guess... and thornton got us stuart

the team was trying to rebuild its blueline... but eventually we got chara/Seidenberg boychuk/ference so it all worked out

the guys we had... were exhibiting bad attitudes that reached its crown when thornton made zero effort on that faceoff loss. if wally says there was an incident on a plane he would know better than I... but it was all a building problem that can be traced back to day 1

thornton simply wasnt a leader in his early days. he never liked the judgement and preasure that management and fans put on him

when scatchard got upset and told these guys act like they give a damn... they simply said fire this clownass

This is exactly right. When Ftorek took over and named him the captain, JT didn't look happy he actually looked scared. He had no inclination of being a leader and definitely wasn't ready. That team was so apathetic it was nauseating. It got to the point that the Bruins were a joke in Boston and the NHL in general. I was happy, extremely happy when they announced that they traded him. BUT, when I heard the return I gave out a loud WTF!??!?! I remember it well right down to the place I was sitting when I heard about the trade. I think that they announced it right after that NJ game in the post game show. Everyone agreed that Brad Stuart was pretty much going to be our next stalwart defenseman so I for one was shocked when he ended up leaving. Those were some very dark times to be a Bruins fan...

Reactions: Flannelman

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Colin White has taken a huge step backwards this year and Logan Brown is far from a sure thing. As for the coach, this year he has zero pressure, the expectations are incredibly low, let's see in a couple of years how he does when expectations are raised. I live in Ottawa and trust me when I say that Sens fans are far from convinced that everything is going to work out with the ownership that they have, as well as GM Dorion.

White has taken a step backwards but Brown's a player, he see's the ice extremely well. I myself go to 10-15 games a year and I know fans are upset, who wouldn't be, but there's no denying that their future looks a whole lot better today than anyone would of thought a year ago at this time.

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
This is exactly right. When Ftorek took over and named him the captain, JT didn't look happy he actually looked scared. He had no inclination of being a leader and definitely wasn't ready. That team was so apathetic it was nauseating. It got to the point that the Bruins were a joke in Boston and the NHL in general. I was happy, extremely happy when they announced that they traded him. BUT, when I heard the return I gave out a loud WTF!??!?! I remember it well right down to the place I was sitting when I heard about the trade. I think that they announced it right after that NJ game in the post game show. Everyone agreed that Brad Stuart was pretty much going to be our next stalwart defenseman so I for one was shocked when he ended up leaving. Those were some very dark times to be a Bruins fan...

They called about Samsonov left with Joe.One of the worst trades in NHL history.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Just because Gustafsson makes much less than Krug currently doesn't mean he's going to be asking for much less. Gustafsson signed his last deal while he was still a part-time NHL player. Since then, he's been Chicago's #2/3 defenseman in even-strength ice-time while averaging .65 points per game, with 31% of his points on the powerplay. Let's compare that to Krug over the same time period, who's the Bruins #4D in even-strength ice-time while averaging .79 points, with a whopping 58% of his points are on the powerplay.

I'm not saying Gustafsson is as good as Krug, but, at most, he's only going to get $3 million less per year than Krug. That also doesn't consider the fact that Krug may give you a hometown discount. Saving $1.5-3 million on Krug isn't anywhere close to the amount of space they need to sign Kreider.

Do I know what Sweeney will do? No, but he's been very consistent with the types of moves he makes and the types of players he looks for since becoming GM and he's openly admitted to not liking to do certain things. It's easy enough to take his history and project what he won't do. We can certainly complain about it, but he's not going to change how he does things.
Well your entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, 3 m would still be a very nice contribution towards a top 6 forward who we can keep.

Donny cannot always wait for TD as the time for a cup chase is running out due to age advancing players. Still have the chance but you have to do what is necessary to accomplish the ultimate goal.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
White has taken a step backwards but Brown's a player, he see's the ice extremely well. I myself go to 10-15 games a year and I know fans are upset who wouldn't be, but there's no denying that their future looks a whole lot better today than anyone would of thought a year ago at this time.

But let's be honest, people were talking as if the Sens were going to be absolutely terrible this year so any kind of decent showing was going to be looked at as a pleasant surprise. Their goaltending this year has been very good, stole them lots of games they had no business winning. I guess the true test will come when expectations get ramped up in a few years, this year they are pretty well getting a free pass from everyone.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
There’s a trail of very good Trades from that deal that eventually helped the bruins win the cup.

Well off top my head Bruins moved Primeau and Stewart to Flames for Ference and Kobesew.Sturm to LA for cap space .(futures) not going to break it down where they went etc but it took years and at that moment in time that was a shocking trade that Bruins did not win.

Reactions: Lo97 and Strafer

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

You spelled that right.

BruinsNetwork

I always loved lee stempniak. I said to @BruinsFanSince94 i would have preferred giving stempniak the 2 year deal Carolina have him over the deal we gave backes. Imagine how much would have been different.

Stempniak always got the low-end of the stick around here from the media and a lot of fans, but he was perfectly serviceable and actually looked pretty good at times.

Reactions: UncleRico and CDJ

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
How you build a Stanley Cup champion team.
In these day of trade talks I thought it would be interesting to look back how the 2011 Stanley Cup Champions were built from almost scratch by GM Peter Chiarelli and staff. Say what you want about Chiarelli but his trades and free agent signings were almost almost magic.
You can tell there was definitely a plan they followed to get the players they wanted on the Boston Bruins. It sure wasn’t easy as they also had to get rid of some unwanted players.
There were quite a few key acquisitions, but what kick started Chiarelli’s tenure in Boston was of course how he managed to sign franchise defenseman Zdeno Chara to a five year $37.5 million contract and star center Marc Savard to a four year $20 million contract on July 1, 2006.
They weren’t enough though to even make the playoffs in the first season but slowly Chiarelli began dealing the cards or rather dealing players and draft picks.
If I would choose on deal as THE KEY trade it would be the one that sent right winger Phil Kessell to Toronto Maple Leafs for a 1st round draft pick in 2010, a 2nd round draft pick in 2010 and a 1st round draft pick in 2011.
It was a deal that made dealing from strenght or rather make future deals possible. It is really impressive that in four short years the Bruins went from almost worst to first. They missed out in 2010 but came storming back in the 2011 playoffs to win the Stanley Cup after 39 long years of constant playoff disappointment for us fans.
To start it may be interesting what the Bruins looked like upon the new GM’s arrival. Then you’ll find all the relevant transactions between June 24, 2006 and trading deadline 2011. Please correct me if something is wrong or just express your points and views on this matter. What is most important deals and what can be learned from it in todays trading market.

Boston Bruins 2006 before trades & transactions
Goal:
33 Hannu Toivonen G 21, 30 Tim Thomas G 31, 1 Andrew Raycroft G 25
Defense:
23 Paul Mara D 25, 45 Mark Stuart D 21, 6 Brad Stuart D 26, 25 Jason York D 36, 38 Bobby Allen D 27,
68 Milan Jurcina D 22, 41 Andrew Alberts D 24, Matt Lashoff D 19,
Forwards:
37 Patrice Bergeron C 20, 27 Glen Murray RW 33, 17 Petr Tenkrat RW 29,
43 Yan Stastny C 23, 20 Wayne Primeau C 29, 32 Jeff Hoggan, 42 Pascal Pelletier F 22
26 Brad Boyes C 23, 16 Marco Sturm LW 27, 11 P.J. Axelsson LW 30, 53 Jeremy Reich. 52 Nate Thompson, F 22, 56 Ben Walter F 22

Almost no assets in the prospects pipe due to terrible Bruins drafts in 2000-2005
and out of 52 players drafted only a handful would later play in the NHL.
Some of the best prospects before the 2006 NHL draft were ...well David Krejci.
NHL draft 2005 3rd rnd 83 overall - Mikko Lehtonen right wing
NHL draft 2005 4th rnd 106 overall - Vladimir Sobotka center
NHL draft 2005 2nd rnd 39 overall - Petr Kalus right wing
NHL draft 2004 2nd rnd 63 overall - David Krejci center
NHL draft 2004 2nd rnd 64 overall - Martin Karsums right wing
NHL draft 2004 7th rnd 224 overall - Matt Hunwick defense
NHL draft 2003 4th rnd 106 overall - Byron Bitz right wing.

The only players already in the Bruins organization when Peter Chiarelli took over and remained with the team were
Tim Thomas goal
Patrice Bergeron center
David Krejci center prospect

This is how the 2011 Stanley Cup Champs was acquired to become Boston Bruins
2002-08-02 - Tim Thomas Signed as free agent.
2003-06-21 - Patrice Bergeron NHL Draft - Drafted 2003 2nd rnd 45th overall.
2004-06-26 - David Krejci NHL Draft - Drafted 2004 2nd rnd 63rd overall by Boston Bruins.
(Pick acquired from San Jose on draft day for 3rd rnd, 4th rnd and 9th rnd in 2004).
2006-06-24 - Tuukka Rask Traded from Toronto for Andrew Raycroft.
2006-06-24 - Drafted Phil Kessell 1st rnd 5th overall by Boston Bruins
2006-06-24 - Milan Lucic NHL Draft - Drafted 2006 2nd rnd 60th overall by Boston Bruins.
(Pick acquired from Edmonton Mar 9, 2006 with Marty Reasoner and Yan Stastny for Sergei Samsonov).
2006-06-24 - Brad Marchand NHL Draft - Drafted 2006 3rd rnd 71st overall by Boston Bruins.
(Pick acquired on draft day from Phoenix for 4th rnd - 5th rnd in 2006).
2006 -07-01 - Zdeno Chara Signed as free agent.
2007-07-01 - Shawn Thornton Signed as free agent.
2007-02-10 - Andrew Ference Traded from Calgary with Chuck Kobasew for Brad Stuart, Wayne Primeau, 4th rnd in 2008.
2007-05-16 - Adam McQuaid Traded from Columbus for 2007 5th round pick (BOS - #129 - Jamie Benn).
2008-01-02 - Shane Hnidy Traded from Anaheim with 2008 6th rnd pick for Brandon Bochenski.
2008-06-24 - Johnny Boychuk Traded from Colorado for Matt Hendricks.
2008-07-01 - Michael Ryder FA 2008 Signed as free agent.
2009-03-04 - Mark Recchi Traded from Tampa with 2nd rnd pick in 2010 for Matt Lashoff, Martins Karsum.
2009-10-20 - Daniel Paille Traded from Buffalo for 2010 3rd round pick (BOS - #75 - Kevin Sundher).
2010-03-03 - Dennis Seidenberg Traded from Florida with Matt Barkowski for 2nd rnd pick in 2010, Craig Weller and Byron Bitz.
2010-06-22 - Nathan Horton Traded from Florida with Greg Campbell for Dennis Wideman, 1st rnd pick in 2010, 3rd pick in 2011.
2010-06-22 - Gregory Campbell Traded from Florida with Nathan Horton for Dennis Wideman, 1st rnd pick in 2010 and 3rd pick in 2011.
2010-06-22 - Tyler Seguin NHL Draft - Drafted 2010 2nd overall by Boston Bruins.
(Pick acquired from Toronto Sep 18, 2009 with 2nd rnd pick in 2010 and 1st rnd pick in 2011 for Phil Kessell).
2011-02-15 - Chris Kelly Traded from Ottawa for 2011 2nd rnd pick (BOS - #61 - Shane Prince).
2011-02-18 - Tomas Kaberle Traded from Toronto for Joe Colborne, 1st rnd pick in 2011 and 2nd rnd pick in 2012.
2011-02-18 - Rich Peverley Traded from Atlanta with Boris Valabik for Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart.
2011-02-28 - Anton Khudobin Traded from Minnesota for Mikko Lehtonen and Jeff Penner

A complete turn over of a team. I'm very impressed what Peter Chiarelli did. Even after all the bad contract and such happening later I am most thankful for having him as the Bruins GM.
Not bad. Not bad at all Mr Chiarelli. Many moves and a lot of courage moving first and second round draft picks. It could have turned out even better if they had continued drafting like they did in 2006. But, who can complain after delivering the Stanley Cup. At the time I didn’t like all the moves but there are a few I really loved.

Acquiring Nathan Horton is the key move for me aside from the Kessell trade and signing Chara. Horton was a big game player who delivered in clutch. That is a player they found and traded for in 2010. They are looking for the exact same player today. Can they find him and get that player to Boston this season?
Not so sure. We definitely have better assets in prospects compared to what they had in early years of Chiarelli era but not at all so many early draft picks.

One thing I like about the cup team is how good defensemen they had. Really didn’t need Tomas Kaberle and the cost was very high (Joe Colborne, 1st rnd pick and 2nd rnd pick). Signing Zdeno Chara is out of this world. How about getting Johnny Boychuk for a minor leaguer. Dennis Seidenberg for a 2nd rnd pick. Andrew Ference was really underrated and Adam McQuaid was a beast as a rookie.

Up front some deals.
Drafting Patrice Bergeron, Milan Lucic, David Krejci and Brad Marchand is what the NHL draft is all about. Finding the gems.
Mark Recchi + 2nd pick for Lashoff & Karsums. One could argue about giving up Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart for Rich Peverley and Boris Valabik (a 6’7 defenseman who was drafted 10th overall in 2004. Had played for 80 NHL games for Atlanta. Never played another NHL game after trade. Don’t know what happened to him). Chris Kelly, Daniel Paille and Greg Campbell was important to the penalty kill and of course having Shawn Thornton as one of the team leaders wasn't the worst.
It was an overpayment but Peverley did very well as a Bruin so no complain really.
The most underrated player on the team I think was Michael Ryder who they signed as a free agent in 2008. 2010 1st rnd pick Tyler Seguin as the extra forward also helped a lot.
Most important the Bruins got extremely great goaltending from Tim Thomas but also from Tuukka Rask during the regular season.

Overall an extremely great team that should have won another cup in 2013 at least.
How many on todays team would actually make the Cup winning team better.

I would say other than Rask, Chara, Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci who already is on I think maybe two of Charlie McAvoy, Brandon Carlo, Torey Krug could make it instead of Kaberle and McQuaid. Up front the only players in is David Pastrnak and Charlie Coyle somewhere. Perhaps the speed of Jake DeBrusk would be useful. What do you say.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I’d try again for Eric Staal before making any moves. IF one of Bergeron Krejci Coyle go down with injury, Kuraly jumps into 3rd line center duty, I’m not a fan of that.

Staal allows Coyle to skate at RW (admittedly Coyle looks better at center). Allowing Sweeney to still look to get another RW.

Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak
Bjork Krejci (Palmeiri)
DeBrusk (Staal) Coyle
4th line

Krejci gets some talent on his wings, the 3rd line gets awfully big.

IRL I bet they try a McAvoy vs Ottawa with Stud or Frederic. You ain’t winning with Kuraly at 3C, but maybe one of the kids pulls it off.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
according to this guy, boston's "biggest need" is a grinder :laugh::laugh:

Bruins trying to hold off Lightning in Atlantic Division

Biggest need -- With physical bottom-six forward David Backes sent to Providence the American Hockey League after clearing waivers, Boston could use another grinder. Forward Brad Marchand leads them with 53 penalty minutes.

I get that the guy's probably a national reporter, so he's not going to know every team, but literally no one is saying that they need a replacement for Backes.

You know what the NHL needs? Better national reporters.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I get that the guy's probably a national reporter, so he's not going to know every team, but literally no one is saying that they need a replacement for Backes.

You know what the NHL needs? Better national reporters.

it's pretty bad. if you're gonna do a story, do some research. bruins have had the same
need for like 5 years too.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Getting kreider is a major step towards winning the cup. He's a force with the puck. So hard to contain and such a power skating forward north south. Great shot and can play in all situations. Hope Donny can get him and won't mind we lose our 1st round pick only if resigns though.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
I play with the cap on in NHL 19 and while I`m sure it`s not as tough making the deal as the real thing, it`s actually had me appreciating a bit more how much goes into making a deal

That's all I do on NHL games, is gm mode. It's not as accurate as it could be and wish there was conditional picks and stuff but overall it's interesting to play with and get an idea of what's actually realistic.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I’d try again for Eric Staal before making any moves. IF one of Bergeron Krejci Coyle go down with injury, Kuraly jumps into 3rd line center duty, I’m not a fan of that.

Staal allows Coyle to skate at RW (admittedly Coyle looks better at center). Allowing Sweeney to still look to get another RW.

Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak
Bjork Krejci (Palmeiri)
DeBrusk (Staal) Coyle
4th line

Krejci gets some talent on his wings, the 3rd line gets awfully big.
Can't blame you for trying. But I Staal has a NTC and, he's made it quite clear, he only wants to play for the Wild.

Too bad. Has a very reasonable contract.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Getting kreider is a major step towards winning the cup. He's a force with the puck. So hard to contain and such a power skating forward north south. Great shot and can play in all situations. Hope Donny can get him and won't mind we lose our 1st round pick only if resigns though.

I like the idea of Kreider in Boston. If costs were equal for a trade would you rather acquire Kreider, the power winger or Pageau, a versatile center who can score and then kick Coyle to wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad