Proposal: All Bruins rumors/proposals: 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I thought I read on here that most of these college players are on good teams, that
will most likely go far in the college playoffs. They will still be playing in college when
the deadline for players to play in the NHL playoffs is passed. They would be eligible for regular season games but not the playoffs.

Dom dealt with most of this.

There are a couple things in play. The NHL season ends a bit early this year. So if a player is on a team that makes the NCAA tourney, They will have games the weekend of March 23-26, so best case scenario is they could sign with 7 games left in the Bruins season. If a player makes the frozen four, then his college season will end the same time the Bruins season ends.

I personally don't expect the Bruins college kids to have an impact this season. I think McAvoy will be a regular next year, and Bjork may be as well. It's possible that in particular for Bjork they give him a pro contract immediately and let him burn a year off, just as part of a negotiating move to help sign him.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
http://www.tsn.ca/which-teams-appear-to-be-12-forwards-deep-1.613848

A solid argument as to why Boston should be keep their ears open for preferably short-term help up front.

You could also make the argument that this is proof that Julien should look at spreading out the wealth over 3 lines instead of just 2.

I just think the way the team is currently structured (no Vatrano) you might be better off having 2 good lines then 1 great and 2 so so ones.

IMO, Julien knows our 3rd line is awful....but he still won't put Spooner in the middle because of his defensive liabilities and inabilities to win key battles.

Marchand Bergie Pasta
Vatrano Krejci Backes
Belesky Spooner Czar
Schaf Moore Nash

Still think we need to upgrade our 3rd line center.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I would not have made a trade until you have some indication that Rask's injury is under control and you can expect a full season from him.

I think things seem good there so I'd like to see them get something done now before desperation sets in and I think that's waiting for them in the new year with their schedule.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the Chara/Carlo pairing. But I'm still not buying that this team as currently constructed is going to hold, especially with the offense being so underwhelming so far. I think the schedule has been very kind to them in terms of the quality of the opposition and it won't surprise me if there's another "collapse" in the new year when they are playing playoff teams regularly, unlike now.

Unfortunately the level of competition ramps up right at a time that I'm wondering how both players in the Charlo pairing are holding up as the fatigue of a long season starts setting in.

Very much agree. If ownership is serious about not just making the playoffs but going deep into the playoffs then the current defense needs to be bolstered not just now but for the next months or injuries can potentialally occur. There is still a long season ahead and to alleviate the tough minutes they need additional top 4 (or better) defenseman .

I just am not convinced that morrow c Miller K Miller or McQ should really be plain 20+ minutes per night we need someone better who can contribute in all 200 feet

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I just think the way the team is currently structured (no Vatrano) you might be better off having 2 good lines then 1 great and 2 so so ones.

IMO, Julien knows our 3rd line is awful....but he still won't put Spooner in the middle because of his defensive liabilities and inabilities to win key battles.

Marchand Bergie Pasta
Vatrano Krejci Backes
Belesky Spooner Czar
Schaf Moore Nash

Still think we need to upgrade our 3rd line center.
Beleskey - Krejci - Backes
Schaller - Spooner - Czarnik

Those are lines 2 and 3 for today's morning skate. If line 2 works out and builds some chemistry, the Bruins can focus on their bottom 6. I prefer a Schaller - Moore duo on the 4th line which frees up a spot at LW on the third line. Spooner plays well if there's a speedy winger on his line so hopefully Spoons and Czarnik build some chemistry. I would not be surprised if either Cehlarik or Heinen get the opportunity at 3rd line LW. It would be a little uncharacteristic for Claude to play a line consisting of younger players, but he trusts Czarnik defensively, trusted Heinen in his short stint with the Bruins, and Cehlarik has some experience playing in Europe. Once Vatrano comes back to full speed after his injury, I would not be surprised to see 2 of Cehlarik, Heinen, or Vatrano playing on the Bruins 3rd line LW and 4th line RW.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Beleskey - Krejci - Backes
Schaller - Spooner - Czarnik

Those are lines 2 and 3 for today's morning skate. If line 2 works out and builds some chemistry, the Bruins can focus on their bottom 6. I prefer a Schaller - Moore duo on the 4th line which frees up a spot at LW on the third line. Spooner plays well if there's a speedy winger on his line so hopefully Spoons and Czarnik build some chemistry. I would not be surprised if either Cehlarik or Heinen get the opportunity at 3rd line LW. It would be a little uncharacteristic for Claude to play a line consisting of younger players, but he trusts Czarnik defensively and trusted Heinen in his short stint with the Bruins. Once Vatrano comes back to full speed after his injury, I would not be surprised to see 2 of Cehlarik, Heinen, and Vatrano playing on the Bruins 3rd line LW and 4th line RW.

Good on Claude for trying out that 3rd line.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Good on Claude for trying out that 3rd line.

I like the look of it on paper; we'll see how it plays out tonight. I'm assuming Nash gets back with Moore on the 4th. I really like how Nash has played this year so far and what he's brought to the bottom two lines. Kind of reminds me of Peverely at times.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I address this to everyone pushing for a trade, don't forget that we have an expansion draft this summer and will have to have bodies available for that.

On a side note, will Las Vegas be added to this board after they announce their name? Would be an interesting place to "visit".

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
I address this to everyone pushing for a trade, don't forget that we have an expansion draft this summer and will have to have bodies available for that.

On a side note, will Las Vegas be added to this board after they announce their name? Would be an interesting place to "visit".
There is already a Las Vegas board.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I like the look of it on paper; we'll see how it plays out tonight. I'm assuming Nash gets back with Moore on the 4th. I really like how Nash has played this year so far and what he's brought to the bottom two lines. Kind of reminds me of Peverely at times.

Isn't Nash on their 1st line still, reports are Pastrnak isn't ready to go yet.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out when Pastrnak is healthy. When he is, I would assume Nash retakes his spot centering the 3rd line, probably with Spooner and Czarnik as his wingers. Schaller back to the 4th.

Then again, Belesky with Krejci and Backes might be a disaster, so we'll see. Just because a similar line worked years ago with Lucic - Krejci - Horton/Iggy doesn't mean it will work here in 2016. And I've advocated to put Belesky with Krejci for months, Belesky NEEDS someone who can get him the puck in soft areas to make use of his shot and produce.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is all 100% right. 100%. I've been saying it along with you for what seems like an eternity now. But it's clear Sweeney seems intent on just playing the waiting game. Or, he's just not that good at closing deals. Or, as his supporters will quickly point out, "trades are too hard" or he "has to overpay so why do it?". But whatever the reason or reasons are, he's been passive about improving this team with any meaningful moves and there's no reason to think that will change, even if it should. Much like Chiarelli, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who likes to actively adjust the roster.

There are many people that see it your way and just as many that don't. I'm sure you realize this you seem very bright

I'm a good 180 degrees from you as are many of my friends who I consider like yourself great Bruins fans

I think the answer is in the middle

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
You say that he is afraid to adjust the roster... but grabbing a random game from last November shows that 8 of the 18 skaters on that game are no longer on the team. Nearly half the roster! So I call BS.

I didn't say "adjust". You moved the goalposts. I said "improve".

He clearly, consciously is trying to integrate kids into the lineup, which explains Czarnik, Miller/Morrow, Heinen, Acciari, Schaller, Carlo. But these are moves to build for down the road, to get kids some playing time. And I'm 100% behind those moves.

Veteran players he has added to this roster via signing or trade include Backes, Hayes, Beleskey, Kevan Miller, Adam McQuaid, Liles, Moore, Rinaldo, Nash. Call Backes a win so far (though I contend it will be a loss in 3 years), and I'd argue Moore is a clear win. But I could do without the rest of them, and a few of them are just bad moves. It's a mixed record at best, and none of these aside from Backes are significant. All these guys are 3rd liners, bottom pairing D or healthy scratches. So again, is he able to proactively make a good, meaningful move during a season to improve his team? I'd argue it's a reasonable expectation for a GM and it's a valid question.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

He clearly, consciously is trying to integrate kids into the lineup, which explains Czarnik, Miller/Morrow, Heinen, Acciari, Schaller, Carlo. But these are moves to build for down the road, to get kids some playing time. And I'm 100% behind those moves.

Veteran players he has added to this roster via signing or trade include Backes, Hayes, Beleskey, Kevan Miller, Adam McQuaid, Liles, Moore, Rinaldo, Nash. Call Backes a win so far (though I contend it will be a loss in 3 years), and I'd argue Moore is a clear win. But I could do without the rest of them, and a few of them are just bad moves. It's a mixed record at best, and none of these aside from Backes are significant. All these guys are 3rd liners, bottom pairing D or healthy scratches. So again, is he able to proactively make a good, meaningful move during a season to improve his team? I'd argue it's a reasonable expectation for a GM and it's a valid question.

I think he's aware that JFK likely will be here next year as third line center and probably sporting Heinen Bjork Vatrano Cehlarik DeBrusk on his wings

Any deal Sweeney makes should be short term Stempniak-ish considering close to ready talent and cap

You go with an Erhoff or Hamhuis you don't see Carlo

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Not every GM can be a Jeff Gorton.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think he's aware that JFK likely will be here next year as third line center and probably sporting Heinen Bjork Vatrano Cehlarik DeBrusk on his wings

Any deal Sweeney makes should be short term Stempniak-ish considering close to ready talent and cap

You go with an Erhoff or Hamhuis you don't see Carlo

It's funny considering the grilling he got last year at the deadline, but a Stempniak-like rental move is the type he needs to consider. I said this already but Boston needs to keep tabs on what Arizona plans to do with UFAs Hanzal and Stone. They don't need a massive move or block-buster type deal that has long-term implications.

Hazi made a good point however, that they really need to know the health status of Rask before surrendering assets to bring in rental help.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
It's funny considering the grilling he got last year at the deadline, but a Stempniak-like rental move is the type he needs to consider. I said this already but Boston needs to keep tabs on what Arizona plans to do with UFAs Hanzal and Stone. They don't need a massive move or block-buster type deal that has long-term implications.

Hazi made a good point however, that they really need to know the health status of Rask before surrendering assets to bring in rental help.
I dont think the problem last year were the players he brought in but the price he paid. And considering the disastrous result, the grilling was well deserved.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I dont think the problem last year were the players he brought in but the price he paid. And considering the disastrous result, the grilling was well deserved.

Some of us were grilling him the minute they were made, not because we didn't like the players, or thought the price was too high (they weren't) but because some of us believed Boston's place in the standings at the time was not a true reflection of the quality of the team on the ice, it was more smoke and mirrors, and Boston shouldn't be coughing up future assets for rentals at that time. Turned out some of us were right on the money. Even though I get why Sweeney made those moves, whether I agree or not.

It's early, but I feel more confident about where this year's team is headed. The structure is back and much improved. The overall mix is deeper and better, more young guys with actual talent (as oppose to Ferraros and Trotmans) are emerging.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Much like Chiarelli, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who likes to actively adjust the roster.

Not to butt in, but... Butt.

If it's worth anything at all, I agree with both of you.

I think Bruins fans have gone far too long without seeing a trade where they came out with the clear-cut best player in the deal. Too many times have the B's traded top assets for handfuls of magic beans and it's tiresome. I want my team to be on the winning end of one of these deals.

On the other, I think while opinion is mixed, overall Sweeney has done a good job of building a future stable without sacrificing the quality of the current roster. I like this team better than the one we saw over the last two.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Not to butt in, but... Butt.

If it's worth anything at all, I agree with both of you.

I think Bruins fans have gone far too long without seeing a trade where they came out with the clear-cut best player in the deal. Too many times have the B's traded top assets for handfuls of magic beans and it's tiresome. I want my team to be on the winning end of one of these deals.

On the other, I think while opinion is mixed, overall Sweeney has done a good job of building a future stable without sacrificing the quality of the current roster. I like this team better than the one we saw over the last two.

There's been a couple wins (Horton, Seids, Recchi), unfortunately the losses are more memorable.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'm hoping Lucic (Zboril, Colin, Kuraly and Frederic) and Hamilton (Shenyshyn, JFK, Lauzon) end up being wins. Feeling more optimistic that the latter will be a clear win.

I think that RIGHT NOW Boychuk for Carlo and Lindgren is a clear clear win, even if at the time it was a clear loss and it was under the past regime.

edit: But, none of those deals are on the end where we are moving quantity for quality. I am looking forward to one of those deals happening, but with next years cap situation, it's going to be difficult. Obviously, Sweeney deserves blame on that as McQuaid, Kevan and Hayes are the reason the team don't have $$$ to make a bold move with their quantity of assets.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I'm hoping Lucic (Zboril, Colin, Kuraly and Frederic) and Hamilton (Shenyshyn, JFK, Lauzon) end up being wins. Feeling more optimistic that the latter will be a clear win.

I think that RIGHT NOW Boychuk for Carlo and Lindgren is a clear clear win, even if at the time it was a clear loss and it was under the past regime.

edit: But, none of those deals are on the end where we are moving quantity for quality. I am looking forward to one of those deals happening, but with next years cap situation, it's going to be difficult. Obviously, Sweeney deserves blame on that as McQuaid, Kevan and Hayes are the reason the team don't have $$$ to make a bold move with their quantity of assets.

Just my opinion, but that's flawed reasoning. Besides Colin Miller, we didn't trade Lucic or Hamilton for anyone. We traded them for picks. Who we picked with them is really irrelevant to the value of those picks when the trade was made. That, and you can't include the 29th (SJS pick) because it was from a different trade. Yeah, the asset we traded came in the Lucic trade, but it was still an entirely different transaction.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

I actually think they're in a pretty good place cap-wise. According to Capfriendly, yhey have accrued almost $4m in cap space so far, and are projected to have almost $13m by the deadline. In another month they should be able to add whoever they want.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Where do you want these guys to grab roster spots? There's a few 4th line vacancies coming and Liles. The brass did a wonderful job of making sure the other spots were filled with old guys on 1 ways.

As you know that was my whole beef with Sweeney. I can't stand that they handed money to the guys they did when you could ideally started bringing in the young talent to compete. I hope there's a market to trade some of the old bodies. tbd.

IMO, guys like Moore, Schaller, Nash and Liles are one of the reasons this team is where they are right now. The margin for error when it comes to goals for/against and how it affects wins & losses is so small... Compare this current group to our -20something 4th line of kids last year, and the difference is night and day. These guys are dependable in their own end, which means they take pressure off the defense. They help out on the PK, and they've also contributed with some offense of their own, scoring 8 goals in 18 games. Heinen was second only to Czarnik in terms of being the best rookie in training camp, and he went 0 for 7 games.

These guys don't take up any more cap space than a rookie, and they're not signed long-term so if a guy like Kuraly or Acciari come into the lineup for injuries and show they're as good or better, then that gives you depth now, and the ability to transition to those younger players next year. Whereas if we go into a season depending on those kinds of unknowns to deliver (like we did last year) and they struggle (like they did last year) then you start every game spotting the opposition zone time, scoring chances and goals.

Honestly, one of the reasons I was more optimistic about this season was the upgrades made to the 4th line.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Honestly, one of the reasons I was more optimistic about this season was the upgrades made to the 4th line.

Agreed.

While everyone agrees a '4th' line won't make a pretender into a contender, in our situation it gives us 'fans' that much more relief just knowing our team won't be pinned in the defensive zone for 45 secs each shift and kill any momentum we had.

Having 2 guys in Nash / Moore being so effective in the faceoff circle is the biggest change. Puck possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad