Proposal: All Bruins rumors/proposals: 16/17 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Think both might be Las Vegas bound (or bought out).

McQuaid averages 18:00 a night, despite the nonsensical hate McQuaid gets from some on here there are a number of teams that would take him, you don't buy somebody out if you can trade him. Hayes there is no hope for and a buyout may be the only option, no way Las Vegas takes him in the expansion draft.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
McQuaid averages 18:00 a night, despite the nonsensical hate McQuaid gets from some on here there are a number of teams that would take him, you don't buy somebody out if you can trade him. Hayes there is no hope for and a buyout may be the only option, no way Las Vegas takes him in the expansion draft.

I like McQuaid and think Las Vegas will too. I was thinking of Hayes more in the buy out option.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

I don't see any hate from fans just better options.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
None, either, from this poster. I respect Adam and give him credit for his efforts. He's just not worth his salary and is duplicative of what K. Miller, another overpaid RHD, provides to this team.

I don't think Kevan is overpaid at all, but paying both guys a combined 5.25 million a year to play the same role is something I think few agree is great. I don't think signing both until there were better options to kick one out was a bad move, though, as long as they are able to move on from one when Colin and/or McAvoy take hold of a roster spot for good.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The Krug/McQuaid pairing allows the fewest shots per 60 out of any of the Bruins D. Obviously, that comes with the asterisk that Chara/Carlo get harder matchups. Krug/McQuaid also have more team shots on ice than any pairing sans when Colin Miller is on the ice. Krug/McQuaid complement each other well. So well, in fact, that they are 1st and 4th in the entire NHL in shot differential (min 400 mins).

So this idea that McQuaid is some unmovable garbage is wrong. He and Kevan are redundant as the team brings in more two-way D, but he is certainly moveable.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
While I wholeheartedly agree on the defense being much better, and I've been pleased with what Killer/McQuaid have brought this season, they're both kind of old for modern NHLers, and I don't trust either to stay healthy, so I do think the team should always be pursuing other potential avenues, even if they are not the top priority. They are the kind of guys you need to be open to moving on from

Make your arguments about them having injury issues, but neither one is old. Miller is 29 and McQuaid is 30. That's far from old these days. That said, you have a solid point about moving on from one of them. But I don't move them both. I think you need that type of defenseman in your line - you just might not need two.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Krug/McQuaid pairing allows the fewest shots per 60 out of any of the Bruins D. Obviously, that comes with the asterisk that Chara/Carlo get harder matchups. Krug/McQuaid also have more team shots on ice than any pairing sans when Colin Miller is on the ice. Krug/McQuaid complement each other well. So well, in fact, that they are 1st and 4th in the entire NHL in shot differential (min 400 mins).

So this idea that McQuaid is some unmovable garbage is wrong. He and Kevan are redundant as the team brings in more two-way D, but he is certainly moveable.

Which would you keep if only could keep one

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Didn't Krug + Kevan Miller produce similar statistics last season when paired together?

And if so, maybe that number has more to do with Krug than it does McQuaid or Kevan.

As players, McQuaid and Kevan have value. NHL caliber D-men, someone would want them.

Except there is this problem which is the term and $$$$ of their contracts. Which for what/who they are, their lack of durability, is a major deterrent to other team's acquiring them.

I don't think either are or deserve to be buy-out candidates. But neither are easy sells. Like Spooner, there are GMs out there who would value them, and GMs out there who would have zero interest.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Didn't Krug + Kevan Miller produce similar statistics last season when paired together?

And if so, maybe that number has more to do with Krug than it does McQuaid or Kevan.

As players, McQuaid and Kevan have value. NHL caliber D-men, someone would want them.

Except there is this problem which is the term and $$$$ of their contracts. Which for what/who they are, their lack of durability, is a major deterrent to other team's acquiring them.

I don't think either are or deserve to be buy-out candidates. But neither are easy sells. Like Spooner, there are GMs out there who would value them, and GMs out there who would have zero interest.

They weren't THAT good together, but I think a lot of that is that Krug is playing way better than this board is giving him credit for (despite the obvious lack of finish). Obviously, it is Krug that is driving those possession stats, but there is value to a guy being able to out muscle a guy in the corner and shovel the puck to Krug (or the left shooting PMD on another team). Would a prime Carlo that can battle AND skate be an even better fit? Probably. Could a Krug/Colin pairing just never let the other team get into the offensive zone without a clean carry in? Probably, although I would be very worried what would happen if the other team got their cycle going.

I totally agree that, like with Spooner, there is a market for these guys, but not a 30 team market. The health concerns are far more of a concern to an acquiring team than on-ice play.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They weren't THAT good together, but I think a lot of that is that Krug is playing way better than this board is giving him credit for (despite the obvious lack of finish). Obviously, it is Krug that is driving those possession stats, but there is value to a guy being able to out muscle a guy in the corner and shovel the puck to Krug (or the left shooting PMD on another team). Would a prime Carlo that can battle AND skate be an even better fit? Probably. Could a Krug/Colin pairing just never let the other team get into the offensive zone without a clean carry in? Probably, although I would be very worried what would happen if the other team got their cycle going.

I totally agree that, like with Spooner, there is a market for these guys, but not a 30 team market. The health concerns are far more of a concern to an acquiring team than on-ice play.

Good points on Krug.

And the issue with their health concerns relates to the cap. You can't just flick guys on and off IR or LTIR on a whim. It's that constant day-to-day stuff that hurts cap-wise when you have players with durability issues but are always on the cap because you can't put them IR/LTIR whenever they get a little banged up. And for teams up against the cap, it's a pain in the butt manage it while having guys making decent money who have fairly constant durability issues.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
In the Hanzal vein, what about Mike Fisher as a rental out of Nashville?. Would be cheaper to acquire and could fit on the 3rd line or on Bergeron's right.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Krug sure likes playing with McQuaid. And McQuaid's contract is shorter.

Your point of Kevan being able to play LD is extremely valid and probably the tipping point. I also think he is better than McQuaid.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Your point of Kevan being able to play LD is extremely valid and probably the tipping point. I also think he is better than McQuaid.

Agree- I'd keep Killer of the two. No hate on McQuaid, but Miller is better with the puck and gives up nothing to McQuaid on the defensive/grit side.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

I would go with McQuaid, a little bit smarter with the puck and makes better decisions, McQuaid can get rattled but Kevan seems to make some very poor decisions with the puck, which usually end up in the Bruins net, also as mentioned Krug seems to enjoy being paired with McQuaid. I like both but with McAvoy, O'Gara and possibly Zboril on the way as soon as next year one will go, I still think Vegas takes one in the expansion draft and the Bruins won't have to make the decision.

The biggest plus with Kevan to me is his skating, a much better skater than McQuaid, though McQuaid has gotten a bit better.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I love McQuaid but KMiller is better at this point - he's a better skater and mover of the puck.

adam hasn't got back to pre concussion hit last year

Still a solid bottom pair but I would 100% rather see the Millers take over 3rd pair RD and if K Miller can play LD he's a great guy to have in your 7 because he's pretty good

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I would go with McQuaid, a little bit smarter with the puck and makes better decisions, McQuaid can get rattled but Kevan seems to make some very poor decisions with the puck, which usually end up in the Bruins net, also as mentioned Krug seems to enjoy being paired with McQuaid. I like both but with McAvoy, O'Gara and possibly Zboril on the way as soon as next year one will go, I still think Vegas takes one in the expansion draft and the Bruins won't have to make the decision.

The biggest plus with Kevan to me is his skating, a much better skater than McQuaid, though McQuaid has gotten a bit better.

Good points

Tough to give up on Adam

Tough
Was part of Cup teams

He was playing his best hockey a year ago - still seems a bit off

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I don't know. At what point do we start to consider that this defense might actually be pretty decent?

8th in the NHL in GAA.
3rd in the NHL in shots against.

I think Carlo filled the void we were trying to trade for over the summer, and he's probably been better than any of the guys we would have brought in. With McAvoy on the horizon, I don't think I'd waste any futures bolstering the defense. I'd rather see them focus on developing Colin Miller. They even have the compulsory depth vet in Liles that many teams trade for at the deadline.

I agree Bill. The defense is indeed playing well.

I continue to be impressed with Carlo's game. He's so composed for a 20 year old playing against top lines every night. He is the acquisiton that was needed to improve the defense this year.

Next year the right side of the rotation should be even better if C. Miller can develop consistency and McAvoy can play on the top pairing with Chara.

McAvoy
Carlo
C. Miller
K. Miller

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia

I continue to be impressed with Carlo's game. He's so composed for a 20 year old playing against top lines every night. He is the acquisiton that was needed to improve the defense this year.

Next year the right side of the rotation should be even better if C. Miller can develop consistency and McAvoy can play on the top pairing with Chara.

McAvoy
Carlo
C. Miller
K. Miller

You can't seriously expect the kid to slot in there?

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

McAvoy
Carlo
C. Miller
K. Miller

Alot to ask.You are suggesting McAvoy will step right into NHL as a top pair guy. I have my doubts but to be fair have not saw him enough.The World Juniors should give us a good idea. If he cannot dominate there we should have our answer.And thats not to say he will not be top pairing eventually.I just have my doubts as fast as you think.Hope your right though.:).

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Alot to ask.You are suggesting McAvoy will step right into NHL as a top pair guy. I have my doubts but to be fair have not saw him enough.The World Juniors should give us a good idea. If he cannot dominate there we should have our answer.And thats not to say he will not be top pairing eventually.I just have my doubts as fast as you think.Hope your right though.:).

history shows us many many many many kids are played with the best partner when breaking into the nhl... its not to say these kids are the second best dman on the team but rather that they benefit from having a great partner

usually in these situations the kid gets 17-18 mins of icetime while the other guy gets 23-25 mins of icetime so obviously the other guy is also playing with other partners during important times of the game

the kid might spend a quarter or more of his time also playing with other partners on nights hes struggling... or when game conditions dictate its the best solution.

we saw kids like McLaren and wesly and kluzak get skated with bourque when they were starting out... saw bourque partnered with park...

here in Edmonton nurse was being used on the first pairing quite a lot his rookie season and has since spent most of his time on the 3rd pairing

its just a strategy many teams employ to put their best kid with a strong partner that can help him break into the nhl

personally... I leave carlo with chara. I probably skate mcavoy with krug. not that krug is a strong partner but krug is the guy we are playing 5 million to on a long term deal. you cant have krug as a 3rd pairing guy moving forward

give carlo 2 years to benefit from chara's example and leadership and then hope everything goes great and carlo is ready to pave the road for zboril and lazron and the other kids when they arrive at the show.

{my plan would be to resign chara to a retirement plan chris chelious type series of contracts for as long as chara wants to stick around... and pretty much use chara in the 3rd pairing until he decides to hang up the skates... so he might still be the guy to break in zboril and lazron himself}

of course I'm leaving out several other guys that have a very good chance of winning a spot and knocking one of the named kids out of the picture... but the overall plan remains the same imho. keep carlo with chara and let the imprinting really bond solid. put mcavoy with krug and cross your fingers you didn't make a HUGE mistake giving krug the big money long term. move mcquaid and his contract... let kevan miller be the anchor for the 3rd pair until chara replaces him in that role... give cmillar and morrow chances to play until whatever kid replaces them on the depth chart.

to me this looks like a very promising future over the next 2-3 years for the defense and potentially even better after that if some of the kids pan out like carlo did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad