All 3 CHL Championship Series End in Sweeps

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm really not a follower of Junior/CHL hockey, so people who are can tell me why it's a bad idea or would never work, but ya, turning the Memorial Cup into something like what college basketball does is a interesting idea.
Looking to the US college model for basketball simply isn't a good idea on 2 fronts.

First, US college basketball, football and even hockey teams have a strong history alumni backing that is much different then the independent CHL hockey teams.

Secondly, betting drives much of the hype in one off tournaments and that simply hasn't been part of the hockey culture, although sadly that's changing and it make me want to puke.

Just thinking out loud... The three CHL leagues should continue to operate as is, have their regular season and playoffs to crown their respective league champion, and have the Memorial Cup operate as a separate entity. Make it a single elimination tournament opened to all CHL teams... Maybe even open it up to teams from the top Junior "A" leagues. Hold the entire thing at the end of the year, or perhaps even run it in parallel to the various leagues' seasons... So I guess what I'm suggesting is something closer to how Cup competitions in soccer sort of work. :dunno:
Just no.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad