Aliu vs :eek::eek::eek::eek:i

knifer

Sep 4, 2006
yk
Both have been noted as having top 20 talents in this years draft, but both have also been tagged as having high bust potential thus seeing their draft positions fall considerably .

Will :eek::eek::eek::eek:i even ever come over and play in NA? Is he strong enough to play in the NHL eventually and be a scoring line player?

Is Aliu crazy? Will his move to London actually improve his stock now that he will possibly play with kane/gagner? Do you guys feel he can actually become a scorer in the NHL or is the best he gets is becoming a big third line guy that can chip in 20 goals a year.

Who will become the more valuable nhl player and who will produce more points?

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Could you have picked any two more dissimilar players!!

Aliu is only considered high risk/high bust potential because of his off-ice troubles. He's gifted enough to be a mid first rounder with decent skill to be a top power forward. Honestly, I don't think any GM in the league can disregard attitude and personality to the extent that they could take him with their first pick. That said, it's doubtful he falls lower than the second due to his high level of skill and potential. If the London coaching staff can get him to control his attitude better, but still get him to keep the mean edgy part of his game, a team will be very pleased with their drafting. If he gets axed again for unprofessional behavior, his career will be heading down a dark road. If the guy never find NHL offence to be a scoring line player, he may still be very valuable to a team as an enforcer/checker with offence. Look at the success of Dan Carcillo in Phoenix late in the year, or at Chris Neil and Travis Moen in the play-offs and how valuable they've been in the series. One thing in my mind is for certain, Philadelphia won't pick him!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:i has been up and down the rankings all year. Never seen him play myself, just heard he's highly skilled with great feet - typical European scorer if you ask me. Can't say much more...

knifer

Sep 4, 2006
yk
Could you have picked any two more dissimilar players!!

Aliu is only considered high risk/high bust potential because of his off-ice troubles. He's gifted enough to be a mid first rounder with decent skill to be a top power forward. Honestly, I don't think any GM in the league can disregard attitude and personality to the extent that they could take him with their first pick. That said, it's doubtful he falls lower than the second due to his high level of skill and potential. If the London coaching staff can get him to control his attitude better, but still get him to keep the mean edgy part of his game, a team will be very pleased with their drafting. If he gets axed again for unprofessional behavior, his career will be heading down a dark road. If the guy never find NHL offence to be a scoring line player, he may still be very valuable to a team as an enforcer/checker with offence. Look at the success of Dan Carcillo in Phoenix late in the year, or at Chris Neil and Travis Moen in the play-offs and how valuable they've been in the series. One thing in my mind is for certain, Philadelphia won't pick him!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:i has been up and down the rankings all year. Never seen him play myself, just heard he's highly skilled with great feet - typical European scorer if you ask me. Can't say much more...

Both have supposed attitude problems but both have nice upsides. Thats what this is about, i just wanted to get others opinions and thanks for yours but i see these guys as similar picks. Not similar players, similar picks.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I so want to draft :eek::eek::eek::eek:i. Even if he turns out to be a bust in the long run his name makes me laugh;)

rick1042

Jul 3, 2006
Verdun
I think I would pick Aliu. What did one coach say: "I would rather tame a stallion than to get a pony to move" or something to that effect.

BTW, I am not comparing :eek::eek::eek::eek:i to a pony, I actually don't know him too well as a player.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
I hope Washington drafts them both; put a big stud like Aliu with :eek::eek::eek::eek:i and Semin and you could hae a very productive line for a team with a youth movement!:sarcasm:

Bring Back Krajicek*

GOD I hope Washington doesn't draft :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, because otherwise there isn't a possibility of hearing the phrase "and Semin is all over :eek::eek::eek::eek:i right now!"

danno2530

Aug 2, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
www.geocities.com
GOD I hope Washington doesn't draft :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, because otherwise there isn't a possibility of hearing the phrase "and Semin is all over :eek::eek::eek::eek:i right now!"

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Does anyone think that he might drop in the draft order simply because of his name? I don't, but you never know the way some team PR departments think. If he was a talent lock, it wouldn't be a question but since there are concerns he may not even come to NA, you have to wonder.

Sashulitshka

May 11, 2005
As far as I'm informed :eek::eek::eek::eek:i will go to NA in any case. He just is sorting out the different options and is preparing with additional private English-lessons although his English already is pretty good!

Does anyone think that he might drop in the draft order simply because of his name? I don't, but you never know the way some team PR departments think. If he was a talent lock, it wouldn't be a question but since there are concerns he may not even come to NA, you have to wonder.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

As humorless as the Avs management is I can see them passing on him.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Aliu is a head case, no question about it.

As far as skills, he is a fast skater, a hard hitter and a decent passer. He doesn't have great hands and he can't hit the net with his shot. He is very aggressive on the forecheck and has learned to play SH. He only scored one goal in twentysome games in the playoffs.

But he is a horrible teammate. If a linemate doesn't pass him the puck when he thinks he should get it, he'll skate off and waive his arms or yell at the linemate. He extends his shift when he wants to and the staff has to yell at him to get off, at which point he'll show his displeasure. I don't know who can straighten this guy out. Apparently he only started playing hockey at 12 years old or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad