Player Discussion Alexis Lafreniere

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
I just can't see any team being dumb enough to take him. His contract is 10% of the cap, and he sucks at hockey.

You don't think on a list of 15 NHL teams, that there's a GM who ready to trade for a freight train physical defenseman with a C on his jersey and all the mythical intangibles?

If there is even slight retention from NYR, teams will break their butthole fibers bending over to make that deal.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
That seems nuts to me. This year we have Kakko , Lindgren, and Schneider who are RFA's. Next year besides Laffy we have Rempe, Cuylle , Jones, and KAD. Shesty is a UFA. Not to mention we have some cheap serviceable guys that are ufa's and rfa's.Where are we getting the space to give Laffy that kind of money ? If we are giving anybody an extension would it not be Shesty ?
Its very likely that by the time laffs next contract starts, trouba and kakko are gone. And theres an outside shot kreider could be gone too. It would be a ruthless type of move however the right move to trade kreider after the 2024-2025 season

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
i tried telling people for years....put some gd respek on this kids name. the amount of crow that needs to be eaten by people who had no idea what they were looking at, but nevertheless were sure he was a bust, might drive the species extinct. it was obvious since day one that this kid would be special, it was always just a matter of time.

the funny thing about everyone who talked sht about him is most of them just completely forget they ever did or pretend they didn't. they'll learn nothing from being dead wrong and continue to ignore anything that doesn't agree with their opinions as they find the next thing to be wrong about criticizing.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Currently T-2nd in playoffs in Points at 5v5
T-15th in playoffs in Points at All Strengths

3rd in the playoffs in P/60 at 5v5
4th in the playoffs in P/60 at All Strengths

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Its very likely that by the time laffs next contract starts, trouba and kakko are gone. And theres an outside shot kreider could be gone too. It would be a ruthless type of move however the right move to trade kreider after the 2024-2025 season
It would be ruthless, but those are the especially HARD decisions an organization has to make sometimes, in order to advance in their quest for sustainability.
Lifelong homegrown Rangers or traded, his # will be in the rafters someday, regardless. Hope I am alive to see it.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
It would be ruthless, but those are the especially HARD decisions an organization has to make sometimes, in order to advance in their quest for sustainability.
Lifelong homegrown Rangers or traded, his # will be in the rafters someday, regardless. Hope I am alive to see it.
After the 2024-2025 season I think of our current core players, if I was a ruthless GM doing solely whats in the best interest of the franchise on the ice here would be my moves

1) At 2024 draft (aka 2 months from now): Trade Kakko for picks/prospects. Why? We are in a weird spot with him, hes 2 years away from UFA so you either try to sign him for 4-5 years or trade him. Thing is, if he agrees to 4-5 years hes going to want $5mm rangers similar to cap % chytil got. And do we want to spend $5mm on a defensive winger who granted had some upside to still be a top 6 player? I trade him for draft picks, prospects or a young dman with upside

2) Im not sure I commit to lindgren

3) I trade trouba either after this season or the 24-25 season

4) I trade Kreider after the 2024-2025 season as he’ll be 34 years old yet still producing enough to get assets in return before he falls off at age 35 the following season

I think in the pre TDL lineup of 2025-2026 season that the lineup will have guys like

Draisaitl-Mika-Perrault
Panarin-Trocheck-Laff
Cuylle-Chytil-Othmann
Edstrom-Rempe-Berard

X-Fox
Kandre-Schneider
Jones-X

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
After the 2024-2025 season I think of our current core players, if I was a ruthless GM doing solely whats in the best interest of the franchise on the ice here would be my moves

1) At 2024 draft (aka 2 months from now): Trade Kakko for picks/prospects. Why? We are in a weird spot with him, hes 2 years away from UFA so you either try to sign him for 4-5 years or trade him. Thing is, if he agrees to 4-5 years hes going to want $5mm rangers similar to cap % chytil got. And do we want to spend $5mm on a defensive winger who granted had some upside to still be a top 6 player? I trade him for draft picks, prospects or a young dman with upside

2) Im not sure I commit to lindgren

3) I trade trouba either after this season or the 24-25 season

4) I trade Kreider after the 2024-2025 season as he’ll be 34 years old yet still producing enough to get assets in return before he falls off at age 35 the following season

I think in the pre TDL lineup of 2025-2026 season that the lineup will have guys like

Draisaitl-Mika-Perrault
Panarin-Trocheck-Laff
Cuylle-Chytil-Othmann
Edstrom-Rempe-Berard

X-Fox
Kandre-Schneider
Jones-X

Draisaitl isn't likely going to hit UFA. I know there's been some minor speculation, but I can't see it.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Trocheck definitely had some tunnel vision during that celly, double OT would get you running on fumes I can't imagine how that feels in front of a wild MSG crowd.
Alexei just looks f***ing amped up here in a way that I've only seen back when he was leading that Team Canada WJC squad. That quick strike wrister of his is a f***ing laser and he plays with such passion it's infectious. The maturation of his game has made me realize he'll be wearing a letter in the future 100%.

This team has a perfect mix of everything rn with these hungry young guns and grizzled veterans, gotta love it
I wouldn’t say “tip of the iceberg” at this point, but Laf isn’t finished taking his steps. He’s going to be a demon at 24.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Not for $8 million
Trouba will make 6mil each of the next two years. His cap is still 8.
If NYR want to trade him there will ABSOLUTELY be takers, and the return will be good. Because of the cap hit not GREAT, but good. He’s still a middle pair D on many teams in this league and he brings elite physicality, great penalty killing, fantastic leadership, etc. This fan base severely undervalues him. Yes he’s ass when overused or used incorrectly, but he’s valuable.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
At a 6.5m cap hit Kreider is, and will probably continue being, a great value. He’s not who you trade. IMO of course.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, not that related to Laf but I still see people whining about being gifted a 1st overall when we were a "playoff team" (though we likely wouldn't have made it if not for Covid). Yet no one felt bad for us when we had the longest playoff-less drought, had the best odds to get #1, and got #16 instead in the Crosby draft. Of all the teams with the best odds we finished dead last, so to those complaining about our luck with Lafreniere kindly f*** off.

Edit: Made the change from #12 to #16 and luck with Lafreniere not Crosby.

Last edited:

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
BTW, not that related to Laf but I still see people whining about being gifted a 1st overall when we were a "playoff team" (though we likely wouldn't have made it if not for Covid). Yet no one felt bad for us when we had the longest playoff-less drought, had the best odds to get #1, and got #12 instead in the Crosby draft. Of all the teams with the best odds we finished dead last, so to those complaining about our luck with Crosby kindly f*** off.
We actually got #16. Had to trade up for #12.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Matthew Tkachuck upside
dunno if he has that kind of snot. the perry comp attitude wise is more of what i see. put it this way i think there's + odds on him being suspended in his career.

more germanely, i'm curious to see how this team would react to the Panthers pure physical nastiness. tkachuk, bennett, verhaege, kulikov, these dudes are real pricks. will we see any of it from laf? schneider? kreider?

i put together a rangers shitbird ranking, wonder if i can find it. maybe worth revisiting

dunno if he has that kind of snot. the perry comp attitude wise is more of what i see. put it this way i think there's + odds on him being suspended in his career.

more germanely, i'm curious to see how this team would react to the Panthers pure physical nastiness. tkachuk, bennett, verhaege, kulikov, these dudes are real pricks. will we see any of it from laf? schneider? kreider?

i put together a rangers shitbird ranking, wonder if i can find it. maybe worth revisiting
nyr Prick-factor rankings:

Rempe Tier
rempe

Shitbird Tier
trocheck
goodrow
trouba

Snow the Goalie Tier
kreider
vesey
lindgren
lafreniere
cuylle
schneider

I Won't If You Don't Tier
brodzinski
ruhwedel
gustafsson
kakko
miller

Get Outta My Crease Tier
Shesterkin
Quick

More Skilling than Willing Tier
Panarin
Fox
Jones

New Guy Tier
Wennberg
Roslovic

Inherit The Earth Tier
Zibanejad

panarin prob gets a bump after the oshie hit no?
and tbh i can see roslovic throwing an elbow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad