Player Discussion Alexis Lafreniere

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Why can’t both be true? Pettersson is absurdly good, has a career high at 24 years old that’s higher than Panarin has ever posted, is a center, which is the premium position in the league and got serious Selke consideration as a complete two way force before 25. Why can’t we have a Hart nominee elite winger and still admit Pettersson would be the best prime offensive player this team has had in forever? It doesn’t make Bread less good. It just means Pettersson is that good.
Pettersson is great and I would love to have him on this team but sometimes we forget just how dynamic a player Panarin has been. He scored 95 points in 69 games in 19-20, and 58 points in 42 games in 20-21. Both of those seasons would have likely been 100+ point seasons if it wasn't for covid. It doesn't matter anyway because the Rangers are never getting Pettersson.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Pettersson is great and I would love to have him on this team but sometimes we forget just how dynamic a player Panarin has been. He scored 95 points in 69 games in 19-20, and 58 points in 42 games in 20-21. Both of those seasons would have likely been 100+ point seasons if it wasn't for covid. It doesn't matter anyway because the Rangers are never getting Pettersson.

Never say never

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Here’s the thing withbLaf right now (and Kakko)
If they are good too six players then they’re currently quite cheap for that role, so you give them the chance and if they take it then you have a bargain and can use that cap flexibility (as best you can at the moment anyways)
You want to replace them you’ll have to do cap gymnastics at the moment.

Right now both guys are doing pretty well on lines that are grading out pretty damn well advanced stats wise and putting up points. Let them run with it

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Well his metrics are pretty good right now, so you tell us.
I was asking folks opinion…do you believe that it would be difficult to replace what he is bringing to the lineup? Is what he is providing on a game by game basis a challenge to replace?

No need to get testy….this isn’t a knocking of Laff….I am interested in folks views here.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
I was asking folks opinion…do you believe that it would be difficult to replace what he is bringing to the lineup? Is what he is providing on a game by game basis a challenge to replace?

No need to get testy….this isn’t a knocking of Laff….I am interested in folks views here.

At his cap hit, I would say 100%. For as spotty as his performance was last year, he was a 40 point player. There was just some stat posted that he’s tied for 2nd in ES goals for this team the last 3+ seasons. Now he looks head and shoulders better this year than the previous 3 so far. I really don’t think anyone is finding a realistically acquired equivalent or better at $2.3M.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
At his cap hit, I would say 100%. For as spotty as his performance was last year, he was a 40 point player. There was just some stat posted that he’s tied for 2nd in ES goals for this team the last 3+ seasons. Now he looks head and shoulders better this year than the previous 3 so far. I really don’t think anyone is finding a realistically acquired equivalent or better at $2.3M.
I did this exercise before the season started.
The majority of players who put up 35 points at even strength make around 4-5m in cap.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019

avid supporters i'm sure through over hundred of pages dedicated to him some have pointed out that he scored 19 ev goals in 21-22, during that season only 69 players had more - that's impressive and i won't deny that. so during that season looking to replace him with another player that was making around the same $$$ would have been real hard. the season after well that's another story.

supporters have been crying and moaning about 13 not getting regular shifts with the top 6. well now he's linked with a bonafide all star and a kid who is the cusp of nearly breaking out this season. so to the supporters of 13, you now finally have your wish granted. now let's see the guy y'all have been pining about can once and for all own up to it.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I think 20% will only see negatives. 20% will only see positives. I think the middle 60% are people that want the best for Laf (and the team) but also have some concerns based on the first 3 seasons.
I’d say this thread is about 10% people saying “hey it’s disappointing he’s not going to be an elite player but statistically he produces like a solid top 6er and that’s before ever being placed in a position to succeed, let’s keep him w Panarin since they’re playing well and there’s no better option since we traded our 1 line RW for dookie”

Remaining 90% is incoherent pontification about perceived effort level and engagement while denying all facts when presented with them. Capped off with a “I want him to succeed, I really do”

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
just come out and say no matter what laf does you hate him.....i mean seriously enough already

laf starts the whole play and scores, he sucks

laf sets up fil for a breakaway (which fil doesnt score on), he sucks

its blantantly obvious there is a narrative here, considering panarins first goal was him finishing a pass from fil, who did nothing but throw the puck from the boards to the center of the ice. if panarin doesnt finish that are you sitting here and saying fil did nothing? or are you noting that he created the opportunity?
There's a real "flashiness" bias aside from just the shitting on Laf. If some people don't get to go "ooooh" and "aaaaah" they think the play took no skill. As if Kreider getting a stick on a shot and deflecting it into the net wasn't skilled on several levels, getting to the front at the right time, finding the space, holding the position, not getting tied up, in addition to the actual deflection. Knowing where to go, how to get there and when to get there is a hugely important hockey skill, but doesn't get highlights and praise on sportscenter. When a player taps one in or gets a deflection, "anyone could do it"... except if everyone can do it, why aren't they? Sure anyone can forecheck and cause a turnover, or deflect an opponent's pass right to a teammate for the turnover... but for some reason, pure luck I suppose, some players do it more than others.
I love a highlight "goal of the year" candidate as much as anyone, but they don't count any more than a tip in. I'll take three tap ins over two highlight goals every game of the year...

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I’d say this thread is about 10% people saying “hey it’s disappointing he’s not going to be an elite player but statistically he produces like a solid top 6er and that’s before ever being placed in a position to succeed, let’s keep him w Panarin since they’re playing well and there’s no better option since we traded our 1 line RW for dookie”

Remaining 90% is incoherent pontification about perceived effort level and engagement while denying all facts when presented with them. Capped off with a “I want him to succeed, I really do”
Maybe the middle ground is not as vocal or replied to as much. I can see that some people are really down on Laf but I do not think they are 90% of this thread. It does not help any of us for him to do badly. People that want Laf to do badly are cutting their nose to spite their face. "Being right" is not worth that in my opinion. All NYR fans benefit if Laf excels.

Reactions: Ori and bhamill

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

It is normal though when you draft #1 to not be an elite in that draft might trigger a new rebuild. I hope u are aware of that, and if so happen (3-5) years of awful hockey until we hit with someone who is that elite player we need.
But as I mention earlier I doubt their owner allow it, because franchise usually struggle financially in a rebuild while waiting for the next C. McDavid. :) But to think like that is kind of depressing, because 1 day at the time. ;)

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
The only person on this board who would rather be right than happy is EdJo with his pizza hut take.
Being "right" makes people feel validated and happy though; depending on the person, perhaps happier than the team doing better...

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
LMAO only scrubs need to use garbage goals tap-ins forecheck to get points in this league. Hughes understands this TRUTH and allows his slaves linemates to handle the menial labor part, Panarin should be doing this for Laf

Reactions: TheDirtyH

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
LMAO only scrubs need to use garbage goals tap-ins forecheck to get points in this league. Hughes understands this TRUTH and allows his slaves linemates to handle the menial labor part, Panarin should be doing this for Laf
Hughes has 1 5v5 point so far. Swamp rats have been struggling 5v5. Can’t give him open ice though

Reactions: Rangers in 7

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

I think 10% of your math is correct, while the other 90% has no clue what you're talking about. 90% of the fans here aren't denying any facts. They understand the even strength production. They understand where our lines rank 5 games in. They even share stats and facts that weren't in Lafreniere's favor for much of his career.

"I want him to succeed, I really do." Um, yeah, most of us do. We're fans of the team. Him succeeding means the team is better off.

Don't lump 90% together when it's only a few who never want to see him play on the team again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mandar

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Maybe the middle ground is not as vocal or replied to as much. I can see that some people are really down on Laf but I do not think they are 90% of this thread. It does not help any of us for him to do badly. People that want Laf to do badly are cutting their nose to spite their face. "Being right" is not worth that in my opinion. All NYR fans benefit if Laf excels.
This is the problem with the discussion though. Everyone here is convinced that Laf/Kakko are bad but nobody can give a reason other than “uhh they don’t do Jack Hughes stuff” or “I don’t notice them”. Whether you go by the most basic production stats or analytics they are good players. Not dynamic play drivers but good complimentary wingers on by far the best lines that NYR have iced the last two seasons.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This is the problem with the discussion though. Everyone here is convinced that Laf/Kakko are bad but nobody can give a reason other than “uhh they don’t do Jack Hughes stuff” or “I don’t notice them”. Whether you go by the most basic production stats or analytics they are good players. Not dynamic play drivers but good complimentary wingers on by far the best lines that NYR have iced the last two seasons.
I do not think everyone here is convinced Laf/Kakko are bad. I can see both sides of this discussion. You say they are good players but not dynamic drivers of play. That they are good complimentary wingers. Would you say that is what is what is hoped for from a #1 and a #2 overall draft pick? I think that is where some disappointment comes in to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad