Value of: Alexey Toropchenko

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Still has 1 more year remaining at 1.25 mil aav. There were rumors teams were very interested in him at the deadline. Wonder what the cost would be in the off season.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I’d probably guess a 2nd or 3rd rounder leaning more towards 2nd due to RFA and some goal scoring ability. JMO

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I’d probably guess a 2nd or 3rd rounder leaning more towards 2nd due to RFA and some goal scoring ability. JMO
No. He ain't being traded for 2nd or 3rd. Why would we? Blues don't want to be awful like sharks or blackhawks, we want to return to playoffs sooner than later. and you don't do that by trading youngish guys on good contracts who play their role quite well for middling draft picks. I suspect if he's traded it's part of a package for someone we view as more of a core player, presumably either a 2nd line center or top 4 d.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
No. He ain't being traded for 2nd or 3rd. Why would we? Blues don't want to be awful like sharks or blackhawks, we want to return to playoffs sooner than later. and you don't do that by trading youngish guys on good contracts who play their role quite well for middling draft picks. I suspect if he's traded it's part of a package for someone we view as more of a core player, presumably either a 2nd line center or top 4 d.
I can see that, but we’re talking what the value is.. your response doesn’t address that.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
There’s nobody’s that’s going to put anything substantial enough for the Blues to consider it. He competes every night and is a huge frame that’s a good skater with a surprisingly good shot

Reactions: Blueston

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Value then is at least a 1st because no way blues trade him for lesser pick. Not saying someone would necessarily pay 1st, or that we would even take it, but anything less we hang up.
I can see why you’d value him there. Good quality bottom sizer

Reactions: Blueston

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Value then is at least a 1st because no way blues trade him for lesser pick. Not saying someone would necessarily pay 1st, or that we would even take it, but anything less we hang up.

I would agree with that. There's no reason to trade him for a 2nd/3rd round pick, but I'd listen if someone offered us a similarly valued young defenseman. If we can trade a depth player to help address our biggest weakness then we'd have to consider it, but in general I'm not interested in moving Torpo.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Very little interest in moving Toropchenko. Solid bottom six winger on a good contract with size and a nose for the net. Great attitude and character off the ice as well.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Ryan reaves and Martin hanzal returned late 1st rd picks before.

I doubt the Blues would move torpedo for anything less than that.

Young, fast, big body, plays a consistent brand of North-South hockey, perfect bottom 6’er for any team in the league. Blues most likely consider him part of the secondary core long term.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Still has 1 more year remaining at 1.25 mil aav. There were rumors teams were very interested in him at the deadline. Wonder what the cost would be in the off season.

Just wondering, what rumors are you referring to? I've seen some speculation online, mostly on team fansites, but no real source connecting teams to Toropchenko.

Reactions: rumrokh
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think Toropchenko’s true market value lies somewhere around a 3rd or 4th. At this point he’s a fourth line player, who’s capable of sliding up to the third line in a pinch. But he does bring a lot of positive attributes and I like the way he plays.

Personally I wouldn’t move him for that, nor do I think the Blues would l. Realistically, I just don’t see anyway a team offer something that would make it worthwhile for the Blues to move him (I.E a first or second).

Reactions: bleedblue1223

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The best post in this thread is our biggest resident homer stating he’s not even sure we would take a 1st round pick for Toropchenko.

Classic. :laugh:

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
The best post in this thread is our biggest resident homer stating he’s not even sure we would take a 1st round pick for Toropchenko.

Classic. :laugh:

You can't replace Toro for what anyone would pay for him. It's not worth it to trade him.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
You absolutely trade a 4th liner for a 1st round pick without any questions asked. We can figure out how to replace him later.

If it hadn't been for getting Sunny out of the Reaves trade with the Pens it would have absolutely not been worth it.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If it hadn't been for getting Sunny out of the Reaves trade with the Pens it would have absolutely not been worth it.
What an absurd assertion. You absolutely without a single doubt trade a fourth line player for a first. Every single time. Just because the Blues made a poor pick does not mean that was a bad trade without Sundqvist being involved.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
What an absurd assertion. You absolutely without a single doubt trade a fourth line player for a first. Every single time. Just because the Blues made a poor pick does not mean that was a bad trade without Sundqvist being involved.

Pretty absurd assumption that just because someone is a 4th liner than you trade them with out a doubt for a 1st.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Pretty absurd assumption that just because someone is a 4th liner than you trade them with out a doubt for a 1st.
Why is that absurd? You absolutely take your chances that you will select a really good player with that 1st round pick.

Look at the first rounders the Blues have drafted over the years. You focus on Kostin but what about Thomas, Tage Thompson, Fabbri, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Oshie, Perron, Neighbours, Snuggerud, etc. The 3 from last year (Dvorsky, Stenberg, Lindstein) look good too.

The Blues are a good drafting team so I think our chances of not drafting a bust are strong. Not moving Toropchenko for the chance to get another guy like the ones I listed above would be absolutely horrid asset management.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Why is that absurd? You absolutely take your chances that you will select a really good player with that 1st round pick.

Look at the first rounders the Blues have drafted over the years. You focus on Kostin but what about Thomas, Tage Thompson, Fabbri, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Oshie, Perron, Neighbours, Snuggerud, etc. The 3 from last year (Dvorsky, Stenberg, Lindstein) look good too.

The Blues are a good drafting team so I think our chances of not drafting a bust are strong. Not moving Toropchenko for the chance to get another guy like the ones I listed above would be absolutely horrid asset management.
This, and I'm a big Toropchenko fan. With that 1st round pick, you could potentially get a top 6 forward or top 4 D. 4th liners are much easier to acquire and much less important in terms of building a contending team.

Although, I do think that Toropchenko has potential to be a solid 3rd line guy. He has improved each season and he comes off as the type of guy that is always looking to get better.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad