Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I just think he doesn’t have that much offensive tools.His production is starting to be a concern, Mete is producing more in the NHL then Romanov is right know in the KHL
Romanov and Mete are like polar opposites IMO. If you'd put the two together you'd have a 1D, but theyll end up as 2nd pair Ds. IMO. Romo does have a good shot, but he's not as creative IMO.

Reactions: Vachon23

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Romanov and Mete are like polar opposites IMO. If you'd put the two together you'd have a 1D, but theyll end up as 2nd pair Ds. IMO. Romo does have a good shot, but he's not as creative IMO.
Can you really say Mete is "creative". I don't see that in his game at all.

Reactions: montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Can you really say Mete is "creative". I don't see that in his game at all.

I think Mete can be elite level if he was a bit more selfish with the puck. The kid has elite level skating and I think he needs a different coach who takes the chains off! Mete is much better than he gets credit for and he is making Weber's job easier while he is our best puck mover along with Petry.

Mete is a good one and there is more available from him. A coach like Babcock would light a fire under his ass and I think he bust out. Julien is coaching him to be too conservative IMO.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
A bit more than Romanov IMO. Hes good at keeping the play in and sneaking in for shots, its his shot that is so bad and coupled with bad luck and poor confidence and voila.
i'm excited about Romanov. He has an edge to his game and that's nice to see. His transition game has really improved. His offense is the part nobody seems to have a good guage on.

Reactions: dralaf

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think Mete can be elite level if he was a bit more selfish with the puck. The kid has elite level skating and I think he needs a different coach who takes the chains off! Mete is much better than he gets credit for and he is making Weber's job easier while he is our best puck mover along with Petry.

Mete is a good one and there is more available from him. A coach like Babcock would light a fire under his ass and I think he bust out. Julien is coaching him to be too conservative IMO.

Whenever Mete has the puck in the offensive zone (usually by a great transition play he made), he looks as if it's his first time in that position and doesn't know what to do. I don't know if it's lack of offensive instincts (I hope not, but we'll see), poor coaching (coach's not teaching him the offensive part of the game), or him and coaches just deciding to focus pretty much 100% on the defensive side first - or some combination of all 3.

We'll see with time. But I do like that he's trying to get better defensively. I'd like to see him practice his offensive game everyday, as forwards do, in order to have a plan of what to do in different types of offensive situations (off the rush, on odd man rushes, when he skates the puck behind the net, etc..), and in general to develop his offensive instincts.

I remember an interview with PK Subban when he was in Nashville where he said Laviolette is the only coach he's had that practiced offense. I don't know if that's because before that he only had dinosaurs like Jacques Martin and Therrien or if Laviolette is unique in that way...

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
i'm excited about Romanov. He has an edge to his game and that's nice to see. His transition game has really improved. His offense is the part nobody seems to have a good guage on.

He's not allowed to use it.

I think acquiring Romanov is a politic game Montreal believes they can come out on top of and that's why he may not have been drafted higher. He is barely being used and being restricted on his play.

Reactions: 26Mats

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

I think Romo could be a top line D, just not all-out offensive type. That's probably our next need (along with a power forward) and maybe it's an RD (unless Brooks progress a ton). Then we need one of Juulsen-Fleury to be a good partner for Mete on the 2nd unit.

Romanov has a bit of Kasparaitis - Pronger in him, in how he will bring some physical impact to the game, while being a good skater. When was the last time we had that? Chelios? I know Subban could hit, but it seems like he phased out that part of his game rather quickly.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Whenever Mete has the puck in the offensive zone (usually by a great transition play he made), he looks as if it's his first time in that position and doesn't know what to do. I don't know if it's lack of offensive instincts (I hope not, but we'll see), poor coaching (coach's not teaching him the offensive part of the game), or him and coaches just deciding to focus pretty much 100% on the defensive side first - or some combination of all 3.

We'll see with time. But I do like that he's trying to get better defensively. I'd like to see him practice his offensive game everyday, as forwards do, in order to have a plan of what to do in different types of offensive situations (off the rush, on odd man rushes, when he skates the puck behind the net, etc..), and in general to develop his offensive instincts.

I remember an interview with PK Subban when he was in Nashville where he said Laviolette is the only coach he's had that practiced offense. I don't know if that's because before that he only had dinosaurs like Jacques Martin and Therrien or if Laviolette is unique in that way...
Clearly Julien has given the green light to the D . They lead the league in goals.
It's either you have that in your game or you don't.
Mete mostly uses his speed, he doesn't have much else in terms of stickhandling or creativity. But combined with his good D he's done very well.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
In 27 games in the KHL he averages 11:56 of ice time. He's got 3 assists and is plus 10.
When he plays with the U20 crew he's getting over 20 minutes of ice time.
He's played in a total of 10 International games with various teams.
So he's played 37 games already this year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Clearly Julien has given the green light to the D . They lead the league in goals.
It's either you have that in your game or you don't.
Mete mostly uses his speed, he doesn't have much else in terms of stickhandling or creativity. But combined with his good D he's done very well.

I totally disagree.

You need to practice.

I played hockey. As a forward we constantly practiced 3 on 2's, etc... dmen don't get that practice. In today's game they need that practice. Maybe all the other d don't, because they find themselves on odd man rushes a fraction of the times Mete does. But Mete needs the practice, just as forwards do. He's successfully improved his shot by focusing on it this summer. Now it's time to focus on improving his play on odd man rushes.

Nilan always talks about how he improved his offensive game by working on it.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I totally disagree.

You need to practice.

I played hockey. As a forward we constantly practiced 3 on 2's, etc... dmen don't get that practice. In today's game they need that practice. Maybe all the other d don't, because they find themselves on odd man rushes a fraction of the times Mete does. But Mete needs the practice, just as forwards do. He's successfully improved his shot by focusing on it this summer. Now it's time to focus on improving his play on odd man rushes.

I played hockey in Thunder Bay right up to junior. Not sure what that has to do with how NHL teams are practicing now.
Whatever Montreal is doing is working. They lead the league in goals by D. Keep it up. And Mete looks like he takes it in all when he sees fit. I see Fleury and Petry do the same.

Reactions: dralaf and jaffy27

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I played hockey in Thunder Bay right up to junior. Not sure what that has to do with how NHL teams are practicing now.
Whatever Montreal is doing is working. They lead the league in goals by D. Keep it up. And Mete looks like he takes it in all when he sees fit. I see Fleury and Petry do the same.

with a young player, what you see isn't necessarily what you get.

Mete still may have a lot of room for growth. No need to assume he's plateaued offensively.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I take Sandin.

I like them both and would have a hard time deciding. Some people are down on Romanov cause of the lack of production in the KHL but he is being sheltered. It is the 2nd best hockey league in the world after all. They are grooming him well for us!

Who looked better in the WJC? Edge to Romanov?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Sandin gets the nod due to his offensive upside. Romanov however has that edge to his game that every team looks for in players.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sandin gets the nod due to his offensive upside. Romanov however has that edge to his game that every team looks for in players.
Starting to lean this way too. I thought Romanov may have some untapped offensive potential but he hasn't shown any of it, so Im kinda dropping him there. I don't think Sandin has that high of an offensive potential either, but he's producing in the AHL, so its hard to debate.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I like them both and would have a hard time deciding. Some people are down on Romanov cause of the lack of production in the KHL but he is being sheltered. It is the 2nd best hockey league in the world after all. They are grooming him well for us!

Who looked better in the WJC? Edge to Romanov?
Romanov looked better at the WJC for sure but I'm basing this off of Sandin's year in the AHL last year. I'm very high on Romanov too, I just think Sandin has a higher offensive ceiling.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Starting to lean this way too. I thought Romanov may have some untapped offensive potential but he hasn't shown any of it, so Im kinda dropping him there. I don't think Sandin has that high of an offensive potential either, but he's producing in the AHL, so its hard to debate.
I'm not too concerned with his numbers in KHL, points are so hard to come by, even more-so for young players with inconsistent minutes. But where I figure he'll shine most offensively is with his ability to turn the play from defence to offence. Rather than straight up blueline quarterbacking.

I think Leafs also have a good one with Sandin, I had him late 20's which was probably too modest in retrospect.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not too concerned with his numbers in KHL, points are so hard to come by, even more-so for young players with inconsistent minutes. But where I figure he'll shine most offensively is with his ability to turn the play from defence to offence. Rather than straight up blueline quarterbacking.

I think Leafs also have a good one with Sandin, I had him late 20's which was probably too modest in retrospect.

I liked Sandin a lot and wanted the Habs to try to get him somehow. At that point in time, I knew nothing of Romanov. Fast forward to today, I say where they were drafted means nothing.

I just find these two very close in potential. Will be interesting to see how both turn out. I like both their games on offensively and defensibly

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Romanov looked better at the WJC for sure but I'm basing this off of Sandin's year in the AHL last year. I'm very high on Romanov too, I just think Sandin has a higher offensive ceiling.

I guess we will only know Romanov's offensive ability when he is played in that role. Sandin gets that chance in the AHL but Romanov does not with his KHL team

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I totally disagree.

You need to practice.

How many pucks Brett Hull used to shoot daily? 100? 200? 500? Read it was a lot.

Ted Williams used to drive hundreds of balls daily.

Practice makes perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad