Value of: Alex Tuch

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
He's definitely going to keep scoring on 24% of his shots, that's why you give up a 1C for him.

I agree. It’s not going to happen in reality.

However, there’s no reason to think that he’ll be made available. Market value is irrelevant. Overpayment is going to be the only conversation here, which is perhaps fair. He’s got off to such a good start that the caliber of an unrealistic target has increased from the Fall. That’s what I was trying to get at with my post.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I agree. It’s not going to happen in reality.

However, there’s no reason to think that he’ll be made available. Market value is irrelevant. Overpayment is going to be the only conversation here, which is perhaps fair. He’s got off to such a good start that the caliber of an unrealistic target has increased from the Fall. That’s what I was trying to get at with my post.

So what defines his value then? What someone will pay or what the Knights would take? Maybe these obviously-not-on-the-block threads should include a bid/ask spread to illustrate how unlikely it is that a player will be traded.

Alex Tuch (Nasdaq: ALT) +1.875
Bid: Late 1st round pick + B prospect
Ask: Establised 1C for Tuch+

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
A 1C for a package around Tuch. Nothing less.

GTFO LOL

I absolutely love Tuchs game, he’s fantastic. Everything you want in a two way forward.

But no, a f**king 1C? You’re high.

Good luck with that.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
GTFO LOL

I absolutely love Tuchs game, he’s fantastic. Everything you want in a two way forward.

But no, a f**king 1C? You’re high.

Good luck with that.

So no trade. Vegas is happy to keep Tuch, your team is happy not to squander its 1C on Tuch. Literally the only need Vegas has is a true 1C.

Reactions: CupInSIX

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
So what defines his value then? What someone will pay or what the Knights would take? Maybe these obviously-not-on-the-block threads should include a bid/ask spread to illustrate how unlikely it is that a player will be traded.

Alex Tuch (Nasdaq: ALT) +1.875
Bid: Late 1st round pick + B prospect
Ask: Establised 1C for Tuch+

That’s actually a really good idea. Not kidding. Value of is two separate conversations, save for pending UFAs.

Reactions: Blackjack

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He didn’t say the ask was reasonable.

Why would a first place team with Cup aspirations and a line-up based on excellent chemistry and continuity break up a great thing by trading one of their top performers of this season who also happens to be 24 years old and signed long term to a very reasonable AAV?

What’s the incentive for Vegas to deal him?

Reactions: CupInSIX

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
That’s actually a really good idea. Not kidding. Value of is two separate conversations, save for pending UFAs.

You don't even need an econ degree, you just have to look at EBay to understand that the value of any asset is the point where seller ask and buyer offer meet. So his value is somewhere between a 1C and the bag of pucks Leafs fans probably want to offer to elevate him to Team Fantastic.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
You don't even need an econ degree, you just have to look at EBay to understand that the value of any asset is the point where seller ask and buyer offer meet. So his value is somewhere between a 1C and the bag of pucks Leafs fans probably want to offer to elevate him to Team Fantastic.

The ebay analogy only works if a team thinks Alex Tuch costs too much to acquire, so they go to a European League and sign a guy named Alax Toch that isn't as good, but looks like Alex and most fans probably can't tell the difference.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
OP was asking what it would take to get him. He's not available unless a top center is coming back.

I mean...sure great.

I would’ve just said “not available” because absolutely no team is gonna give you a 1C for Tuch.

And honestly I probably wouldn’t trade him either.

But fair market value for tuch isn’t a 1C.

Whats more valuable than a 1C? 1D? That’s as valuable as it gets in hockey.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I mean...sure great.

I would’ve just said “not available” because absolutely no team is gonna give you a 1C for Tuch.

Fair market is whatever would incentivize Vegas to sell him. It isn't that hard to understand.

"How much you want for that vette?
"Asking $70,000."
"It isn't worth $70,000. I'll give you $40,000 for it."
"Good luck."

(The car might be worth $60K to someone actually wanting to sell it)

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Some on here are too blinded by the names in an unrealistic return reply that they can't see it for what it is: a signal that the player is unavailable, not that the replying fan(s) is a homer. These value of threads follow the same formula when a player is not in the rumor mill or getting close to free agency. I've see it happen again and again and again 11 years on this site. If you recognize both values in that way, there's not much to get offended by.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackjack

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
I mean...sure great.

Minneasota offers our #1C Victor Rask, AND our first pick, AND Dewar.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Some on here are too blinded by the names in an unrealistic return reply that they can't see it for what it is: a signal that the player is unavailable, not that the replying fan(s) is a homer. These value of threads follow the same formula when a player is not in the rumor mill or getting close to free agency. I've see it happen again and again and again 11 years on this site. If you recognize both values in that way, there's not much to get offended by.

To be fair I AM a Tuch homer, and he deserves more love on the main boards. He's trending up and he'd already be a top 6 winger on most teams.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Fair market is whatever would incentivize Vegas to sell him. It isn't that hard to understand.

"How much you want for that vette?
"Asking $70,000."
"It isn't worth $70,000. I'll give you $40,000 for it."
"Good luck."

(The car might be worth $60K to someone actually wanting to sell it)

That’s just not true. Especially in this case.

Fair market value is the reasonable price the buyer would accept. Key word being reasonable.

Massive overpayment is not fair market value. The buyer doesn’t just get to determine what that means.

If the only way you’d move Tuch is a huge overpayment, that’s cool. I probably would too. But huge overpay and fmv are different things.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
That’s just not true. Especially in this case.

Fair market value is the reasonable price the buyer would accept. Key word being reasonable.

Massive overpayment is not fair market value. The buyer doesn’t just get to determine what that means.

If the only way you’d move Tuch is a huge overpayment, that’s cool. I probably would too. But huge overpay and fmv are different things.

If we were talking about a less restricted commodity, I would agree. But in this case, there is only one Alex Tuch. Market Value is that point at which the buyer and seller agree upon a price. If Vegas doesn't agree on a price less than a 1C, then you can't tag his market value as below that. in fact, as many have mentioned here, he would be "Not for sale." Unless someone comes up with a good 1C the team could fit within the cap. They there may be a transaction and that would establish market value.

For example, how could you say your (hypothetical here, not putting words in your mouth) offer of a journeyman center and a second is market value when the team would say "no" to that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad