Player Discussion Alex Tuch (acquired via trade from VGK)

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
What happened to our heart and soul leader? Pretty awful year. I understand points fluctuate from year to year, but there have been quite q few instances where Tuch doesn't seem to have the same drive. Is it due to injuries or something else? Regardless, he hasn't been nearly good enough.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
What happened to our heart and soul leader? Pretty awful year. I understand points fluctuate from year to year, but there have been quite q few instances where Tuch doesn't seem to have the same drive. Is it due to injuries or something else? Regardless, he hasn't been nearly good enough.
Honeymoon stage ended

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
SmartSelect_20240131_161221_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: Ehran

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
What would a Tuch trade look like? I'm probably firmly in the minority here, but I'd put his name on the block and see if a team makes an offer I can't refuse.

He has a lot of what teams are looking for- size, speed, good shot, and some physicality. Only 1 year removed from a career year that may have some teams enticed at the idea he could be a 65+ pt winger again on a better team, and he's in his prime age wise.

My concerns are his hockey IQ + he's injury prone. It feels like every time I've watched him this year, which admittedly is probably 25 games- he makes terrible decisions over and over again. It's a problem quite a few players on this team have, which is what brought me to this idea.

In my mind, Tuch is a good, but very flawed top-6 winger who has qualities team routinely overpay for (physicality and leadership). I don't want this to be interpreted as "Let's trade Tuch for fun!". It'd have to be the right deal. I'd dangle his name + futures for the bigger fish in the sea.

I thought about a Tage trade as well, but part of me feels like trading him will really bite us in the ass. I like Tuch, but I don't foresee him being a 70 pt player going forward. He'll stick in that 50 pt range while missing games each year, playing injured, and making some real boneheaded decisions. Tage, on the other hand, I could see him being an 80+ pt center again with the right linemates, though he comes with his plethora of dumb, too.

My biggest pause is, if we ever make the playoffs- I could see Tuch being a big-time contributor. I don't expect a trade to happen. Just wondering if I'm letting my emotions get the best of me, and it would be wiser to hold onto to Tuch, or if others view his flaws as big as I do while also believing teams would ante the f up to trade for him.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
What would a Tuch trade look like? I'm probably firmly in the minority here, but I'd put his name on the block and see if a team makes an offer I can't refuse.

He has a lot of what teams are looking for- size, speed, good shot, and some physicality. Only 1 year removed from a career year that may have some teams enticed at the idea he could be a 65+ pt winger again on a better team, and he's in his prime age wise.

My concerns are his hockey IQ + he's injury prone. It feels like every time I've watched him this year, which admittedly is probably 25 games- he makes terrible decisions over and over again. It's a problem quite a few players on this team have, which is what brought me to this idea.

In my mind, Tuch is a good, but very flawed top-6 winger who has qualities team routinely overpay for (physicality and leadership). I don't want this to be interpreted as "Let's trade Tuch for fun!". It'd have to be the right deal. I'd dangle his name + futures for the bigger fish in the sea.

I thought about a Tage trade as well, but part of me feels like trading him will really bite us in the ass. I like Tuch, but I don't foresee him being a 70 pt player going forward. He'll stick in that 50 pt range while missing games each year, playing injured, and making some real boneheaded decisions. Tage, on the other hand, I could see him being an 80+ pt center again with the right linemates, though he comes with his plethora of dumb, too.

My biggest pause is, if we ever make the playoffs- I could see Tuch being a big-time contributor. I don't expect a trade to happen. Just wondering if I'm letting my emotions get the best of me, and it would be wiser to hold onto to Tuch, or if others view his flaws as big as I do while also believing teams would ante the f up to trade for him.
This would be a trade for next offseason imo. When We'll hopefully have different needs than we have now.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Putting aside what a colossal PR disaster trading Tuch would be: Your realize the teams who would want him would be thinking he's the final piece of the puzzle, so why in the world do you think they'd send back a piece of said puzzle instead of the usual picks and prospects that we absolutely DO NOT NEED?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Putting aside what a colossal PR disaster trading Tuch would be: Your realize the teams who would want him would be thinking he's the final piece of the puzzle, so why in the world do you think they'd send back a piece of said puzzle instead of the usual picks and prospects that we absolutely DO NOT NEED?
Two quick things:

1) I made it a point to state the trade would be for an upgrade. Think the Eichel trade, but we're getting the big fish. EP, Tkachuk, etc...so with that line of thinking, we'd absolutely be packaging him with prospects and picks + shaking up the culture a bit.

2) Im not worried about PR backlash given the image of the team is in the gutter.

Reactions: buffalowing88

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Tuch seems like a good guy and he's pretty candid here. I do think its funny how butt hurt he and the rest of the team are about the booing though. f***ing play better and the fans won't boo.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I think he tried in a shallow/obvious way to tow the line between defending the team and taking responsibility. You aren't really serious if you say the team tries but doesn't have the energy they should every game...or whichever way he put it. A true leader, in the locker room anyway, would just put it bluntly to the team that they haven't been good enough, consistently enough, all season. Not being able to say that in an interview makes me wonder if any of them truly hold themselves accountable. I thought last season that they had a solid group of relatively high character guys, but it wouldn't seem so now.

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls
I don't think his play fell off that much... He was still responsible defensively. Tage Thompson on the other hand took half a season to get his shit together and that has affected Tuch who been with him 90% of the time

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I will say this - he looks pissed and his comments that camp is going to be brutal and people are going to have to earn it would have me, as a teammate, looking to up my game.

"If you don't start off well in games..."

He gets it.

"Day 1 of camp" it starts.

Gallant brings "a lot of firepower and energy with him"... 👀

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019

I will say this - he looks pissed and his comments that camp is going to be brutal and people are going to have to earn it would have me, as a teammate, looking to up my game.

"If you don't start off well in games..."

He gets it.

"Day 1 of camp" it starts.

Gallant brings "a lot of firepower and energy with him"... 👀

Really liked Tuch's interview, mentioned the accountability thing half a dozen times makes me wonder what Donny was doing.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad