Value of: Alex Petrovic to Oilers

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
Even with the addition of Larsson Oilers still needs another RHD. Barrie would be the ideal but he would also cost a lot. Not so sure Petrovic would. He has atleast 3 RHD ahead of him and would likely have to be put available in the expansion draft. What would Panthers be interested in? LHD? Forwards? Maybe something around Yakupov and something?
Please don't kill me and help out if I am on the right track or not.

BoDacious Horvat

Sep 1, 2013
Vancouver
Even with the addition of Larsson Oilers still needs another RHD. Barrie would be the ideal but he would also cost a lot. Not so sure Petrovic would. He has atleast 3 RHD ahead of him and would likely have to be put available in the expansion draft. What would Panthers be interested in? LHD? Forwards? Maybe something around Yakupov and something?
Who are the RHD ahead of him? Gudbranson was traded, pretty sure Petrovic was the reason Guds was expendable

EDIT: other than Ekblad and Demers

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
Who are the RHD ahead of him? Gudbranson was traded, pretty sure Petrovic was the reason Guds was expendable

Just realized that both Campbell and Gubransson is gone but if you could get something good for him you still have Kempher (probably spell that wrong) on the bottom six. I was thinking since he would probably be exposed so it could be good to get something for him while you can.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Ekblad Demers Pysyk. I imagine if they knew they'd sign Demers they wouldn't have traded a LHD for a RHD, who knows

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Pretty sure George Richards tweeted that after the Pysyk deal, Petrovic still wouldnt be shopped and the team valued him as a part of the future. I don't feel like digging for it, but Florida is going to lose a RHD to expansion, so keeping them all is probably our best bet.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Yeah right Pysyk too. So their depth is Ekblad, Demers, Pysyk, Petrovic and Kempher. All RHD. Could something get done?

Either of Pysyk or Petrovic would be suitable, as our RHD situation is still very weak and Florida's is assured for at least the next five years. Klefbom-Larsson, Sekera-(Insert Puck Mover Here) and Davidson-Pysyk/Petrovic or some combination thereof would make for a young yet versatile defence corps.

However, the Oilers have only left-handed defensive prospects (Reinhart, Musil, Laleggia) Pouliot and Yakupov as expendable pieces outside of the top six. I'm not sure any of that would interest the Panthers.

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
Pretty sure George Richards tweeted that after the Pysyk deal, Petrovic still wouldnt be shopped and the team valued him as a part of the future. I don't feel like digging for it, but Florida is going to lose a RHD to expansion, so keeping them all is probably our best bet.

So you would rather lose one without getting anything back instead of getting something? Reinhart + pick I like and Yakupov+pick as well. Would any off that be of any interest?

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa

Oilers can only protect 3 defenders.

Nurse is exempt
Must protect Sekera because of NMC , then Klefbom and Larsson.

We are already going to be forced to expose Davidson and Reinhart so adding another defender who isnt exempt to start with is a non starter.

We can add a UFA guy for a year but thats about it.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown

Nurse is exempt

We are already going to be forced to expose Davidson and Reinhart so adding another defender who isnt exempt to start with is a non starter.

I can't believe that after a decade of having the worst D in the league, the Oilers end up losing a Dman in the expansion draft.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Nurse is exempt

We can protect 8 D if we want :snakehead . 7 , 3 and 1 or 8 and 1 . If we go the 8 and one

Larsson , Klefbom , Sekera , Davidson

Lucic , Eberle , RNH , Draisaitl

exempt , Nurse , Pulju , McDavid ,

Talbot .

TheKids

Mar 23, 2015
Love petrovic. Homegrown tough Edmonton boy. Lived here all his life would be thrilled to come back to Edmonton.
Tough customer who can move the puck. Would give up a decent amount as I can see him progressing into a solid 3/4.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
I can't believe that after a decade of having the worst D in the league, the Oilers end up losing a Dman in the expansion draft.

I doubt it. Everyone talks about these things in a vacuum. There are plenty of teams that have young D men that will get taken.

Sometimes you read through the threads and you realize that if everyone was accurate, Las Vegas would be icing 4 centers, 12 RHD and a goalie.

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
We can protect 8 D if we want :snakehead . 7 , 3 and 1 or 8 and 1 . If we go the 8 and one

Larsson , Klefbom , Sekera , Davidson

Lucic , Eberle , RNH , Draisaitl

exempt , Nurse , Pulju , McDavid ,

Talbot .

This is exactly how I think Chia will do. Depending on if we get another d or if Davidson keeps improving then that is how it will look. Las Vegas will more likely take Pouliot than Reinhart in this situation. I belive that if we get another d-man, either Barrie, Petrovic, Ceci or whomever it may be they will probably be protected if they are preforming well. I think that the most likely player to go from Edmonton in the expansion draft is Pouliot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad