Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Unless he magically "developed" over the summer there is a 1% chance he makes the team this year.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Unless he magically "developed" over the summer there is a 1% chance he makes the team this year.

He's already looked better at the NHL level than Reinhart did the year before he made the jump. But I guess people want to be surprised :laugh:

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
He's already looked better at the NHL level than Reinhart did the year before he made the jump. But I guess people want to be surprised :laugh:

New management.

I find it difficult to believe Nylander and Guhle will make the team out of camp. Everything that has been indicated by Botterill is that prospects will be spending a lot more time in Rochester compared to the late-Rieger / Murray era.

My opinion hasn't changed on Nylander. Earlier in the thread I said that I really want to see him dominate offensively in the AHL before he comes to Buffalo full time. Nylander will be an offense-first minded winger -- which is not a bad thing. Nylander could be that player where you ask yourself "if he's not scoring then what is he doing?" Therefore it only seems logical that he should have a prolonged look in Rochester where he is legitimately producing.

Spending time in the AHL allows players to get hungrier. Bailey last year in an interview said that every time he gets called up he wants to play so well that he can't be sent down. Building this type of culture is important. We have many developing wingers who have a shot at cracking the roster - Bailey, Baptise, Fasching, and Nylander. Make him earn it. Not to mention a little more time in the AHL isnt going to kill him.

SnoopDogg

Gin and Juice
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo
Botterill already said he wants the AHL team to be good so there's a 0% chance he's in the NHL this year outside of a few games because of injuries

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Botterill already said he wants the AHL team to be good so there's a 0% chance he's in the NHL this year outside of a few games because of injuries

He also said there will always be opportunities if someone shows he is ready.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
New management.

I find it difficult to believe Nylander and Guhle will make the team out of camp. Everything that has been indicated by Botterill is that prospects will be spending a lot more time in Rochester compared to the late-Rieger / Murray era.

My opinion hasn't changed on Nylander. Earlier in the thread I said that I really want to see him dominate offensively in the AHL before he comes to Buffalo full time. Nylander will be an offense-first minded winger -- which is not a bad thing. Nylander could be that player where you ask yourself "if he's not scoring then what is he doing?" Therefore it only seems logical that he should have a prolonged look in Rochester where he is legitimately producing.

Spending time in the AHL allows players to get hungrier. Bailey last year in an interview said that every time he gets called up he wants to play so well that he can't be sent down. Building this type of culture is important. We have many developing wingers who have a shot at cracking the roster - Bailey, Baptise, Fasching, and Nylander. Make him earn it. Not to mention a little more time in the AHL isnt going to kill him.

I'll give you Regier, but which prospects were "rushed" under Murray?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

If I recall correctly Reinhart was playing 4C with two plugs on either side of him under Ted Nolan.

I bet if he was put in a better position he would have looked way better.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If I recall correctly Reinhart was playing 4C with two plugs on either side of him under Ted Nolan.

I bet if he was put in a better position he would have looked way better.

Which Murray complained about publicly and then sent Reinhart down after his 9 game tryout.

I wouldn't call that rushing a guy.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Alex has the raw skills to be a passenger on a line driven by one of our top centers and still produce. He could make the team just based on production.

I hope he doesn't. He needs to learn to play a more engaged game at a level and with teammates where he's expected to drive possession.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Alex has the raw skills to be a passenger on a line driven by one of our top centers and still produce. He could make the team just based on production.

I hope he doesn't. He needs to learn to play a more engaged game at a level and with teammates where he's expected to drive possession.

I suspect he gets 40 games or so to be a dominant ahl player. If he shows it, then he gets called up for a playoff push.

Last edited:

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I'll give you Regier, but which prospects were "rushed" under Murray?

I guess I was referring more to the era rather than Murray specifically. For example numerous players could have used more time in Rochester: Greg, Girgs, Zadorov, Risto, McCabe, etc. Obviously there were circumstances around certain players that Murray couldn't control - but he didn't make them better. Realistically all those players could have possibly, even marginally, been/be better players with more time in the AHL.

That's off topic, though. New management has indicated that virtually every prospect will spend a significant portion of time in Rochester. Allowing players to mature their game in a lower league is not going to hinder their development. With a player like Nylander, he needs to dominate scoring-wise to deserve a spot. If he's not producing big numbers in Rochester what is the indication he will produce big numbers in Buffalo?

If we are running on merit, Bailey and Baptise are much more deserving of a spot out of camp. Nylander will have a shot to earn a roster spot over the course of the season.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I guess I was referring more to the era rather than Murray specifically. For example numerous players could have used more time in Rochester: Greg, Girgs, Zadorov, Risto, McCabe, etc. Obviously there were circumstances around certain players that Murray couldn't control - but he didn't make them better. Realistically all those players could have possibly, even marginally, been/be better players with more time in the AHL.

That's off topic, though. New management has indicated that virtually every prospect will spend a significant portion of time in Rochester. Allowing players to mature their game in a lower league is not going to hinder their development. With a player like Nylander, he needs to dominate scoring-wise to deserve a spot. If he's not producing big numbers in Rochester what is the indication he will produce big numbers in Buffalo?

If we are running on merit, Bailey and Baptise are much more deserving of a spot out of camp. Nylander will have a shot to earn a roster spot over the course of the season.

Bailey got 40 games last season and did nothing...

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

I think new Amerks coach Chris Taylor had some interesting things to say about the team's philosophy about moving guys up/down on The Instigators last week. It's a good listen.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-c...amerks-head-coach-chris-taylor-instigatorsmp3

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

When's Eichel getting his AHL season? :naughty:

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Saw this on FB

According to Team Sweden's World Junior head coach Tomas Monten, he reported the reason RW Alex Nylander was left off of Team Sweden for the upcoming World Junior championship in December is because he truly believes that he'll make The Buffalo Sabres roster this October! But it doesn't mean he can't join them if he doesn't make the cut

He said in quote:

" Of course if Buffalo wants him to play, we're going to keep our door open. He for sure has a spot on our team but I think he's going to make The Buffalo Sabres this year. That's why I didn't bring him. We haven't talked in the summer."

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Some of my colleagues were making proposals for A Nylander that were getting shot down- I was wondering if a Valimaki- Nylander swap is of any interest?

Valimaki-Ristolainen would be an unreal pair going forward.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Would certainly be of interest to me.

I'd circle the wagons next offseason on it. I'd wanna see how midds, bailey, baptiste and Fasching progress/regress first. If none set themselves apart as sure fire top 6 options you gotta keep nylander with kane potentially exiting.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
I would love to see Nylander make the team out of camp. However, it would take an absolutely amazing pre-season to get it done IMO.(barring a few top 9 injuries of course)

If he can put up something like 6-7 points in 5-6 pre-season games, while being a positive force for Buffalo on most shifts, sure pencil him in. Otherwise it's the AHL for me.

Honestly, I don't see the harm in having Alex put up solid numbers for a few months in Roch, even if he does show that he's capable of cracking the NHL lineup.

Id rather he truly earn a spot. Especially after the years of Grigs, and even Girgs to an extent, getting spots somewhat based on draft rankings.

If Nylander makes it, it needs to be because he pushed his way into the top 6 on a line with ROR or Jack.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Some of my colleagues were making proposals for A Nylander that were getting shot down- I was wondering if a Valimaki- Nylander swap is of any interest?

Valimaki-Ristolainen would be an unreal pair going forward.
I'd consider it for sure if I was GMJB.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I would love to see Nylander make the team out of camp. However, it would take an absolutely amazing pre-season to get it done IMO.(barring a few top 9 injuries of course)

If he can put up something like 6-7 points in 5-6 pre-season games, while being a positive force for Buffalo on most shifts, sure pencil him in. Otherwise it's the AHL for me.

Honestly, I don't see the harm in having Alex put up solid numbers for a few months in Roch, even if he does show that he's capable of cracking the NHL lineup.

Id rather he truly earn a spot. Especially after the years of Grigs, and even Girgs to an extent, getting spots somewhat based on draft rankings.

If Nylander makes it, it needs to be because he pushed his way into the top 6 on a line with ROR or Jack.

Even an 'amazing' preseason won't win him a spot. He's destined for Rochester no matter what in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad