Alex Mogilny's 1992-93: A Product of Pat Lafontaine?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Okay, now do the same thing with Lafontaine, with and without Mogilny.
The sample sizes are fairly small in each season, but here they are:

1991-92:
Lafontaine with Mogilny: 73 points (G-37, A-36) in 45 games
Lafontaine without Mogilny: 20 points (G-9, A-11) in 12 games

1992-93:
Lafontaine with Mogilny: 130 points (G-45, A-85) in 77 games
Lafontaine without Mogilny: 18 points (G-8, A-10) in 7 games

1993-94:
Lafontaine with Mogilny: 8 points (G-2, A-6) in 7 games
Lafontaine without Mogilny: 10 points (G-3, A-7) in 9 games

1994-95:
Lafontaine with Mogilny: 22 points (G-10, A-12) in 19 games
Lafontaine without Mogilny: 5 points (G-2, A-3) in 3 games

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011

1991-92:

1992-93:

1993-94:

1994-95:

To me, LaFontaine seems to have done at least as good without Mogilny than with him. That's impressive!

Something to remember when analyzing these things. Good players usually benefit each other. So if player B have worse stats when player A does not play with him, it's pretty natural. Actually, both would naturally have worse stats without the other.
But LaFontaine have great stats when Mogilny didn't play with him.

Mogilny scored a lot of ES goals that season, to be exact 49 ES goals. Unfortunately, official stats are limited, and I don't have data enough to analyze myself, but if I could I would have analyzed it to see also how other linemates, etc. contributed. Like in the Naslund-Pearson-thread in this section.

If you can produce it, it would be interesting to see stats like the ones in that thread. ?

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker

1991-92:

1992-93:

1993-94:

1994-95:
So Lafontaine actually scored a bit more without Mogilny. Interesting. As you say it's a small sample, but it does provide a bit of evidence (a bit) that Lafontaine was the primary driver of their success together.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Count me in the "they complemented each other" crowd.

Both of them had great seasons apart, so we can conclude each of them is not dependent on the other, but they both had their best season together.

It is a team game.

Devils Mike*

Meh, Lafontaine was good but he wasn't Mogilny level. He definitely helped raised his stats, but otherwise they aren't comparable.

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
I just remember them really working well. It was sort of like Bossy and Trottier, Kurri and Gretzky. Patty would give 'em the puck and Alex would pot it!

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
both lafontaine and mogilny were in the highest level of offensive talents. obviously sub-gretzky, lemieux, howe, and the generational talents, but right up there in the next tier.

both guys had careers that didn't fully live up to their abilities. and for both of them, it was due to a mix of injuries that slowed them down at a relatively early age, and because their effort or interest flagged due to their situations on teams that were an absolute mess. funny that everybody bends over backwards to say you can't blame lafontaine for not caring near the end of his stint on the island, but nobody gives mogilny any slack for his indifference on a canucks team with such a rancid locker room and team dynamic that EVEN LIFELONG FANS stopped caring about.

i don't say this to diss lafontaine or prop up mogilny, i just think that they had pretty similar careers all told-- though obviously the full picture of lafontaine's career was a bit higher and seems to be the sliver of distinction between a low hall of famer and a high non-hall of famer. lafontaine was one of my first favourite players in the late 80s (there was a chapter on him in the first hockey book i ever read as a 7 year old-- got it at school from a scholastic catalogue; canadians know what i'm talking about). but if we excuse lafontaine's earliest years for coming in at the tail end of a dynasty and having trottier and sometimes brent sutter ahead of him, i think we have to note mogilny's historical circumstance as a 19 year old defector, from a small and remote soviet town (unlike fedorov or bure), who was genuinely worried for the safety of his family (both immediately after the defection, and later when he was making millions and his family was one of the ones targeted by the russian mafia), and being a guy who grew up as far away from moscow or st. petersburg as you can be and still be in the soviet union being deathly afraid of flying. i don't know, mogilny wasn't my favourite player, because you watched him and always were disappointed that he didn't do more out there, but you also just had to marvel at the amount of skill he had. there's no question that he had easily more ability than markus naslund, and a better mind for the game too. to me, he's a very interesting and complicated individual, and one of the more unique careers of his generation if you factor in all of the off-ice stuff.

but the point is, for both guys, the one time they performed up to their true level, the two year stretch from '91 to '93, interrupted at various points by injuries to both, was when each of them had a guy who could see and play the game the same way. this "product" talk, i think, is nonsense. their careers arcs indicate that there was just something special that these two guys had together that took both of them to another level.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
In 1992-93, Alex Mogilny, playing for Buffalo, put up incredible numbers of 76-51-127. The closest he ever came to that again was 20 points off. That same year, Pat LaFontaine, on a line with Mogilny, had 95 assists, along with 148 points. What I'm saying is that despite Mogilny being an incredibly skilled player, he never would've reached totals even remotely close to that without Pat Lafontaine.

hey you know what? it was the 1992-93 season and everyone scored like nuts that year

pierre turgeon 58+74 132, teemu selänne 76+56 132, luc robitaille 63+62 125

mogilny was a supreme talent, he scored 55 goals in a season in vancouver with trevor linden as the top center

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Lafontaine was the better player by a bit. He's in the HHOF (with a minority not liking it, but most okay with it) while Mogilny is on the outside and there would be a minority of people thinking he should be in.

However, Mogilny had 1995-'96 as a season that proved he could be a star if he wanted to. He didn't need Lafontaine to do that, but both had their best season together so good for them

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Kovalchuk already has twice as many 40-goal seasons as Mogilny, that's kind of a jarring fact.

Kovalchuk has no playoff presume, really...

And that's in large part because he's a " ME!!!!! " player.

Watching him closely on Team Russia he's also one of the most streaky and inconsistent "ME" players alive.

Mogilny is in a better boat both skill-wise and personality, though not much better really.

To me it's a wash but career wise Kovalchuk is miles behind.

I don't care about the double 40 goal seasons when you're talking about the dead-puck era. Mogilny's 01 season is more noteworthy than arguably all of Kovy's seasons. Kovalchuk got his only goal scoring title in a year it was a three-way tie, at 41 goals....

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
I don't care about the double 40 goal seasons when you're talking about the dead-puck era. Mogilny's 01 season is more noteworthy than arguably all of Kovy's seasons.

You act like this is a high scoring era. Kovalchuk has played in a grand total of ONE season that was over 5.89 goals per game... Mogilny was in his 8th season before scoring dropped that low. Scoring in 2001 was essentially the same level as it was last year (and 08, when Kovalchuk scored 52 goals), 5.50-something. Kovalchuk has 7 top-8 finishes compared to only 3 for Mogilny, so he dominates here no matter how you want to measure it.

(Beats him easily in GPG too, with 3 top-2 finishes compared to 1 for Mogilny, so even games-missed excuse doesn't work for Mogilny)

As far as playoff resumes go, Mogilny's is so thoroughly mediocre that I don't see it as much of an edge... the only thing he proved is that he was mediocre and was lucky to not play on a team as horribly managed as the Thrashers. I doubt Kovalchuk could do any worse than what Mogilny showed. At least he was the best skater on his team in the one year where he was on a contender.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
You act like this is a high scoring era. Kovalchuk has played in a grand total of ONE season that was over 5.89 goals per game... Mogilny was in his 8th season before scoring dropped that low. Scoring in 2001 was essentially the same level as it was last year (and 08, when Kovalchuk scored 52 goals), 5.50-something. Kovalchuk has 7 top-8 finishes compared to only 3 for Mogilny, so he dominates here no matter how you want to measure it.

(Beats him easily in GPG too, with 3 top-2 finishes compared to 1 for Mogilny, so even games-missed excuse doesn't work for Mogilny)

As far as playoff resumes go, Mogilny's is so thoroughly mediocre that I don't see it as much of an edge... the only thing he proved is that he was mediocre and was lucky to not play on a team as horribly managed as the Thrashers. I doubt Kovalchuk could do any worse than what Mogilny showed. At least he was the best skater on his team in the one year where he was on a contender.

thank you for saving me some typing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad