Player Discussion Alex Killorn

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
He's not flashy but he puts up points.
Meh - the problem is that he appeared to be more of a play driver in Tampa. He's an absolute beneficiary in Anaheim playing with Leo, Terry and Zegras. His skating is toast and he coughs up the puck constantly.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Meh - the problem is that he appeared to be more of a play driver in Tampa. He's an absolute beneficiary in Anaheim playing with Leo, Terry and Zegras. His skating is toast and he coughs up the puck constantly.

Killorn has offensive talent, but he's being played as a top-line player at 18:07 ATOI with the Ducks. Those minutes are wearing on him. Killorn should be playing 2nd or 3rd line minutes.

With Fowler playing almost 25 minutes a night, I'm thinking it's the coaches decision to play certain players due to veteran trust. Fowler looks fatigue at the end of the 1st period. Do I blame Fowler or the coaches for his usage? Similarly with Killorn.

We all have to hope that Killorn ages well for us, or he'll be buried on the 4th line for years to come.

Reactions: DuckDuckGetz

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Killhorn needs to be put on the third line. As of now. He is not up to pace. He most likely cashed in

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He’s not the main problem. He’s playing above his skillset and expectation of the fan base.
This is laughable, the guy had 60+ points the last 2 seasons and is a long time top 6 players.

I understand there was going to be some decline from not playing in Tampa (most of us knew this going in) but to say that the fan base had unrealistic expectations is bizarre. They paid this guy 1st line money

There SHOULD be high expectations for this player

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This is laughable, the guy had 60+ points the last 2 seasons and is a long time top 6 players.

I understand there was going to be some decline from not playing in Tampa (most of us knew this going in) but to say that the fan base had unrealistic expectations is bizarre. They paid this guy 1st line money

The Ducks overpaid FA Killorn to lure him to play on a rebuild team. For context, Rico is currently paid $5.825 mil. Rico is our 3C. Killorn is being paid only $0.425 mil more than Rico.

Killorn probably isn't 100% healed from his injury during training camp. I recall Cronin said that Rico found his legs recently; it's possible Rico was playing not at 100%. Last year, Eakins told us that Lundy was playing not at 100% from an injury incurred early in the season, despite his return to action. Lundy just couldn't find his legs like he was in 2021-22.

On a similar note, Luneau had knee surgery the summer of his D+0 season. It affected his play so much that he was dropped out of the first round of the draft and passed over several times in the 2nd round until we took him with our second 2nd round pick. A year later, we look like geniuses in drafting Luneau as he's found his skating legs once again. And he's still trying to find that big burst he had too. Hopefully, that too will return with time and muscle building.

You can see that Killorn is trying to play physical, knows where to go, and knows where to move the puck, but something's not in sync completely for him. He's currently the Ducks' 7th best scorer by rate at 0.52 and does a lot of his offensive damage on the PP with 3 PPGs and 2 PPAs.

Since Killorn is under contract, I'm hoping he's not 100% healthy. Eventually, Killorn will be put on a lower line.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

They really didn't. 6 mill is more Second line money than first in this market. First line imo is 8+

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
They really didn't. 6 mill is more Second line money than first in this market. First line imo is 8+
Alex Killorn ranks 98th in the league in cap hit. That includes defenseman.

Laughable to suggest he’s not making 1st line money

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Alex Killorn ranks 98th in the league in cap hit. That includes defenseman.

Laughable to suggest he’s not making 1st line money
And how many players are making less then they should because of their age or other circumstances? It's not a linear system. To pretend it is is laughable.

Reactions: JAHV

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
He's playing above his skillsket and expectation of the fan base? what were the expectations? 4th line grinder?
I think anyone expecting him to be a first line and especially a first line catalyst was setting themselves up for disappointment. He’s made his living recently playing on the 2nd line with Stamkos who is significantly better than any player we have and second pairing matchups. Ideally, Zegras-Carlsson-Terry would've top line and he’s on the second line the second half of season.

I see the salary comment has been addressed and you can read what I posted above for the rest of it.

edit: to be clear, I’m not saying he’s been good.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
And how many players are making less then they should because of their age or other circumstances? It's not a linear system. To pretend it is is laughable.
And how many players are making more than they should because they got overpaid just like Killorn?

It cuts both ways

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
And how many players are making more than they should because they got overpaid just like Killorn?

It cuts both ways
Far fewer than those who are being artificially underpaid because of the CBA's provisions regarding a players' salary his first 6 years in the league. For a player who has hit UFA, Killorn is making second line money.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Far fewer than those who are being artificially underpaid because of the CBA's provisions regarding a players' salary his first 6 years in the league. For a player who has hit UFA, Killorn is making second line money.
“For a player who has hit UFA”…

Now the goal posts are moving. This was not the original argument

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
UFAs get overpaid. This isn’t anything new. David Backes and his career high 60 points got 6 mil for 5 years almost 8 years ago.

Killorn is overpaid but some of you guys are acting like he was signed to an 8x8 contract when no one wanted him.

PV got his guy and had to overpay to get it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad