Alex Kerfoot - Harvard FWD

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Truthfully speaking I don't know anything about Kerfoot. He could be a worth while signing, who knows. But I'm absolutely shocked at the lack of size, grit and toughness going forward with this team. You simply cannot ice 12 forwards sub 6' and less than 190lbs. Unless those 12 players are all Patrick Kane's your team will get beaten to a pulp night in and night out. You need skilled players that can take abuse, use their body in the corners, force turnovers with body checks, stand up for them selfs, and out muscle average players of 6'2" 205lbs.

I mean, Kerfoot is small, and by all reports lacks any sort of physical play. YIKES

No one is slotting him in the top 6 anytime soon. He's another prospect with upside. The Canucks need as many of those they can get.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Size counts. Size matters. I'm not suggesting signing Tom Sestito over Patrick Kane but you can only have so many undersized, weak, small players. You cannot succeed in a physical game with grown men the size of average 10th graders.

Kerfoot for example, is a small, weak, and timid player. We already have a stable loaded with players that size, do we need another?

I think we have completely different philosophies, if kerfoot has more talent then the next guy we could sign who is big and physical but slightly less talented, i would still take the smaller player. Im not discriminating against larger players i just dont hone in on that when looking at a player who i feel has talent or could be an nhl player. Who knows how many of those small players you complain about will even pan out, or vice versa if we stocked the cupboard with bigger more physical players, all i am saying is just take players who you feel have enough talent to be an nhl player regardless of size. If they are bigger and they feel they can add value to the team then great to.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Size counts. Size matters. I'm not suggesting signing Tom Sestito over Patrick Kane but you can only have so many undersized, weak, small players. You cannot succeed in a physical game with grown men the size of average 10th graders.

Kerfoot for example, is a small, weak, and timid player. We already have a stable loaded with players that size, do we need another?

A stale loaded of players that we have no idea how they will turn out. For a team like the Canucks that has been/is so deprived of skill and talent, I say go sign as many skilled guys as we can, reasonably.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We are probably signing him because of his dad and the Canucks' owners.

But is he a prospect I want the Canucks to sign? I'm a bit indifferent. He's half a Benning type player. Good speed but weak shot. There's some potential and he's a playmaker that the Canucks don't have much of. But I kind of don't see the potential here.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
His Dad is very reclusive. Id be a bit surprised if he would sign here due to the media it would attract

A reclusive man would stay reclusive no? If his dad has managed to stay away from the media I don't see how it would change just because his son signs with the Canucks.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think he will be a Canuck. Aquilini and Daddy Kerfoot know each other. A simple phone call between the two can sort everything out.

I wasn't at all high on him at the time of the draft and I still have my reservations as I stated in my previous post. Love the skill. Like the speed. Love the fact that he's a local boy but that's pretty much it.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Another small, weak, physically adverse player. Are we trying to collect every sub 6' player in the league?

By the time he's ready, the Sedins probably need to be replaced. Not to mention we really don't have too many skilled/speed centers.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Not interested in local players.

People forget that money is what got these guys to where they are, not skill. Nobody is playing pond hockey in Vancouver. Any successful prospect out of Vancouver was likely a silver-spoon player. I'd rather draft a prairie boy over a kid who already thinks he can dictate where he plays.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Follow-up question:

Is there a major sports league that is more nepotistic than the NHL? As fans we should hold these guys to higher standards.

Want minorities in the NHL? Stop drafting every ex-NHLer son and every millionaire's kin.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Just a few points.

His family is wealthy ... money is not going to be a big issue. (I have known a few NHL'ers who were the money for the family, not the case here).

I think he no longer has the place at Whistler ...

His dad is the principal owner of the Whitecaps.

He is likely not interested in pounding out a career in the minor leagues. I would love to see him on the Canucks, I think he could be a very smart C who can dish the puck. Which is exactly the main glowing hole in the Canucks futures dish right now.

His dad absolutely pounded me a few times, a much better hockey player than me. Sadly, his wife is a small lady who probably didn't add to genetic size thing working for the boys. So it goes.

Oh, and Greg was a very good hockey player in his own right.
:naughty::naughty:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

People forget that money is what got these guys to where they are, not skill. Nobody is playing pond hockey in Vancouver. Any successful prospect out of Vancouver was likely a silver-spoon player. I'd rather draft a prairie boy over a kid who already thinks he can dictate where he plays.

You know Stecher is from Richmond right? Sure its more expensive to play hockey here but it doesn't make the player any less of a player nor does it mean they haven't worked just as hard. Honestly anyone who makes it to the AHL (let alone NHL) generally have to work pretty hard to spend countless hours working on their skill.

Follow-up question:

Is there a major sports league that is more nepotistic than the NHL? As fans we should hold these guys to higher standards.

Want minorities in the NHL? Stop drafting every ex-NHLer son and every millionaire's kin.

Uhhh... you do know bloodlines is considered an asset in EVERY major sport. For example, do you think Austin Rivers would've been drafted 10th overall if it wasn't due to his dad? Or if he would even be in the NBA right now (at least playing meaningful minutes) if his dad wasn't the Coach + GM? Baseball has players drafted just because of their last name as well... even cases when the player hasn't committed to baseball. Heck Trey Giffey was selected in the 24th round last year (MLB draft) and he plays football... reason his dad was selected in the 24th round. :laugh: Blue Jays drafted Biggio last draft as well as Bichette (and both were early picks so not throw aways and both were signed). Reigning 2 time NBA MVP also happens to be a son of a NBA player and even his brother got contracts (and now starting to prove himself) due to his last name.

If you want to go NFL, refer to Manning QB family... :laugh:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Adding to dinkiteki's points. Hockey is unfortunately an expensive sport and money helps nuture kids. It's not the end all be all but it helps. It's really hard for a kid to have a career in arts without money spent on lessons. But it doesn't mean that those kids are not instilled with work ethic or so ambitious that they would do anything to reach their NHL dreams.

As for minorities, the problem is that kids don't have a lot of parents or grandparents who play the sport. This is important because you almost got to have your kid skating early and playing hockey early. It isn't like soccer or baseball where you can sign up your kid easy. If you don't sign up your kid really young it's really hard to find a team for him to play for.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
What's everyone's thought on this guy's play yesterday?

Seems like a skilled forward that chases the puck at all times. Low center gravity. Would love to see him in a Canucks jersey if he's interested.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
His stats last year were crazy. 4 goals 30 assists in 33 games as the top C. Looked like he just fed Vesey every time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad