Proposal: Alex Iafallo To Toronto

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
That's what Mikheyev paced at (~45 points) in his first year alongside John Tavares.

Mikheyev has better defensive skills and is an ELITE skater. To me he's perfect on the 3rd line, opposite Hyman, driving opponents nuts and he's definitely one of Toronto's 3rd best penalty killer, behind Marner and Hyman. I love him in a bottom 6 role. Iafallo is more of a pure top 6 guy for me. I like his finishing ability better, especially post wrist injury for Mikheyev.

BTW way, that was supposed to say 45-50 points, the "25" was a typo. I edited it.

I don't think there is an enormous defirrent between Iafallo and Mikeheyev, but they do different things for me, with Iafallo being a guy that could easily slot up onto the 1st line and who has developed into a bonafide top 6 player, while Mikheyev is an EXCELLENT third liner, who can play up in the lineup and produce, but who is best suited in a defensive role where he can skate and create short handed chances on the PP, ala Kasperi Kapanen when he was with Toronto.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Feel free to counter. What if Toronto is willing to restructure the deal with the central prospect being Mikko Kokkenen, the Finnish defenseman they took in the 3rd round of 2019, ot maybe even Topi Niemela, who they took in the 3rd round of 2020 and who won top defenseman at the WJHC this past tournament?

What if it was something like...

To LA
Topi Niemela
2021 2nd round pick
2022 4th round pick

To Toronto
Alex Iafallo
I think thats prob decent offer.. but my guess is there are going to be a lot of buyers asking on him... not sure Niemela is going to be the piece that gets it over(the 2nd and the 4th are very late picks in those rounds), i think someone will overpay for him.

Reactions: Guitpik

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I think thats prob decent offer.. but my guess is there are going to be a lot of buyers asking on him... not sure Niemela is going to be the piece that gets it over(the 2nd and the 4th are very late picks in those rounds), i think someone will overpay for him.

That's fine. I'm not suggesting LA has to take it, or even should, but I'm skeptical of Toronto's ability to extend Iafallo (although it is technically possible if it's a good fit for both), so I can't justify offering much more... He is essentially a Buffalo kid. He'd probably like being close to home, so maybe the Leafs could get him to re-sign.

Reactions: Getz2noone

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Agreed,need a much better propect.

Out of curiosity, do you suspect that somebody is going to give up a truly "blue chip" prospect for him as a rental?

My suspicision is that the best you can hope for is a prospect that surely projects to play as a middle six forward or a bottom 4 defenseman, with upside, paired with a 2nd round pick and a depth pick or conditional pick.

Hard to believe a rental of Iafallo's ilk would garner more than that...

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Out of curiosity, do you suspect that somebody is going to give up a truly "blue chip" prospect for him as a rental?

My suspicision is that the best you can hope for is a prospect that surely projects to play as a middle six forward or a bottom 4 defenseman, with upside, paired with a 2nd round pick and a depth pick or conditional pick.

Then search for another trade partner,you want a piece to help you win a cup,were not giving away assets.

Reactions: KingTech

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Then search for another trade partner,you want a piece to help you win a cup,were not giving away assets.

Nobody is asking you to give away assets. I suggested the initial deal, then cam back with a deal involving Topi Niemela, who just won top defenseman at the WJHC as an 18 year old... It's not like I'm offering trash. If you don't like the deal, that's completely fine, but what type of prospect do you expect to get for Iafallo?

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Feel free to counter. What if Toronto is willing to restructure the deal with the central prospect being Mikko Kokkenen, the Finnish defenseman they took in the 3rd round of 2019, ot maybe even Topi Niemela, who they took in the 3rd round of 2020 and who won top defenseman at the WJHC this past tournament?

To LA
Topi Niemela
2021 2nd round pick
2022 4th round pick

To Toronto
Alex Iafallo

This deal would be a mistake, especially if Iaffallo is the main piece coming back. Niemela is our 5th best prospect, and has great potential. Hallander is about our tenth.

I'd prefer something like this

LA
In
Filip Kral or Mikko Kokkonen - Both are good dman prospects tracking well.
Vladislav Kara - a sizeable winger project.
Michael Haley - Goon 4th liner, ufa at the end of the season
Toronto 2021 2nd
Toronto 2022 3rd

Out

Alex Iafallo (retained 50%)
Kurtis Mcdermid

Toronto
In
Alex Iafallo (75% retained) - Provides us with extra scoring depth
Kurtis Mcdermid - An insurance piece for if one of our bottom pair dman go down. He provides a physical presence.

Out
- 2021 2nd
- 2022 3rd
- 2022 5th
- Filip Kral/Mikko Kokkonen
- Vladislav Kara

To Ottawa
IN
Toronto 2022 5th

Out
Michael Haley
606.25K for extra retention on Iafallo

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
  1. This deal would be a mistake, especially if Iaffallo is the main piece coming back. Niemela is our 5th best prospect, and has great potential. Hallander is about our tenth.

I'd prefer something like this

LA
    In
    Filip Kral or Mikko Kokkonen - Both are good dman prospects tracking well.
    Vladislav Kara - a sizeable winger project.
    Michael Haley - Goon 4th liner, ufa at the end of the season
    Toronto 2021 2nd
    Toronto 2022 3rd

Out

Alex Iafallo (retained 50%)
    Kurtis Mcdermid

Toronto
    In
    Alex Iafallo (75% retained) - Provides us with extra scoring depth
    Kurtis Mcdermid - An insurance piece for if one of our bottom pair dman go down. He provides a physical presence.

Out
    - 2021 2nd
    - 2022 3rd
    - 2022 5th
    - Filip Kral/Mikko Kokkonen
    - Vladislav Kara

To Ottawa
    IN
    Toronto 2022 5th

Out
    Michael Haley
    606.25K for extra retention on Iafallo
I appreciate the work and thought you put into this, but I don't think Kral is enough for LA as the central prospect. They want somebody who is a little bit more of a sure thing. Kral is probably JUST inside Toronto's top 10 prospect list, where I agree with where you have Niemela slotted (#5). I think they'd want a prospect in that range.

JMO.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I appreciate the work and thought you put into this, but I don't think Kral is enough for LA as the central prospect. They want somebody who is a little bit more of a sure thing. Kral is probably JUST inside Toronto's top 10 prospect list, where I agree with where you have Niemella slotted. I think they'd want a prospect in that range.

JMO.

Fair, the reason I chose Kral/Kokkonen over Niemela as I have them in the same range as Hallander which was in the OP.

I then changed the 4th to a 3rd.

I'm pretty reluctant to trade away big futures for a middle 6 winger, especially if he is a ufa.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Fair, the reason I chose Kral/Kokkonen over Niemela as I have them in the same range as Hallander which was in the OP.

I then changed the 4th to a 3rd.

I'm pretty reluctant to trade away big futures for a middle 6 winger, especially if he is a ufa.

I see what you did and again, I appreciate the thought. I have Hallander as the #6 prospect in the organization right now. I'd probably go something like...

1. Sandin
2. Robertson
3. Liljegren
4. Amirov
5. Niemela
6. Hallander
7. Anderson
8. Abruzzese
9. Kral
10. Kokkenen / Hirvonen / Der-Arguchintsev / Abramov

I think if you're not giving LA one of Sandin or Liljegren in this deal and they value a defender in return, you're going to have a hard time getting them to go lower than your #3 defensive prospect.

JMO.

Reactions: KingTech

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013

To LA
Topi Niemela
2021 2nd round pick
2022 4th round pick

To Toronto
Alex Iafallo

I would never move Niemela unless for a blockbuster. I think he has the potential to be a big special RHD.

I am not saying to offer garbage for him, but I would not trade that specific D.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

On the flip side, I personally don't believe Iafallo is a difference maker for us...

If he can be got for a 2nd + unspectacular prospect, maybe.... but to give up a 2nd plus dip into one of our top 5 prospects would be a hard no from my perspective.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006

I don't think the offer is necessarily bad on paper. However, the Kings already have 5 picks in the first three rounds and the pick coming back from Toronto is going to be one of, if not the last pick in that round. With that being the strongest asset returning along side a defenseman that is of the same skill level the Kings have in the pipeline already, there's really no reason for the Kings to make this move. They will most likely continue to get a deal done with him, which I believe is their primary goal.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
On the flip side, I personally don't believe Iafallo is a difference maker for us...

If he can be got for a 2nd + unspectacular prospect, maybe.... but to give up a 2nd plus dip into one of our top 5 prospects would be a hard no from my perspective.

Which is totally fair and I only disagree because I'm being a homer.

From a Kings perspective, anything less doesn't make sense. It might be slightly overvaluing Iafallo (debatable but splitting hairs) but nothing less does anything but add a contract to the Kings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad