Confirmed with Link: Alex Biega signs new 1 year 1-way Contract

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
3 straight years of injury with each year worse than the year before. Back injury and the wrong side of 30. Can't see him playing more than 55 games a season ever again.
Hmm, that sucks.

If we can get 50-60 games next season, then the season after that is not so important as it is last year.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
The best thing about a guy like Biega is he won’t complain about sitting 15 games at a time. Hopefully he isn’t a featured player like this season where he’s been forced into it. I’d rather have him slot in injuries than Daley, Ericsson, or Bowey. At least he can skate and doesn’t make airheaded puck decisions. That’s all you want from a 7th/8th D.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Okay with this as long as he is used in the capacity we are thinking, basically a backup D.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
He's already cleared waivers once, maybe they can try it in GR. It's really up to Stevie, not Blash.

Well, it's up to Blash to slot him there.

Bowey has more scoring capability than Erne, Perlini, Ehn, and Abby combined. I'm not sure why any of those guys get ice time. At least Bowey can shoot, and every now and then gets it on net.

And he can skate pretty well and isn't afraid to take the body. I'd like to see him on the forecheck.

I watch the Caps and every line can score, this team needs to get rid of all the dead weight regardless of age or role.

Couldn't agree more.

Honestly, I don't get the Biega hate, especially how he's played lately. He's not flashy, he's not big, but he gives 100% every shift and doesn't make that many egregious mistakes in the defensive zone.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Honestly, I don't get the Biega hate, especially how he's played lately. He's not flashy, he's not big, but he gives 100% every shift and doesn't make that many egregious mistakes in the defensive zone.
Watch the highlights of his first Calgary game with us. He made Lucic look like an all-star again. His size is a huge disadvantage against certain players.

He was so bad in that game, I've never really trusted him since.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Biega is certainly better than Ericsson and Daley and will be likely their 7th or 8th defenseman going forward with DeKeyser, Nemeth, Hronek, Seider, UFA signing and Lindstrom who I feel stepped up faster than I thought he would. This leaves Dennis and Madison Bowey. I think one of the young guys will get moved and or will see how Dekeyser progresses after back surgery.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I respectfully agree to disagree, I'd rather have Brodie AINEC, even though he turns 30 in June, so we should get 4+ years of good value. $5M is easily mkt. for a #3, he has versatility & way younger, but "past his prime" according to you & yet you wanna sign Greene who turns 38 in Oct.! I get the stop-gap mentality, but at some pt., we gotta build otherwise Mantha/Bert/Fabbri/Larkin/Hronek & eventually Seider/Zadina & the kids are gonna want out. We need a #1LD, or at least #2LD, if we strike out on $8M+ Krug, #3 LHS/RD Brodie is a very good option.

Also who cares where Andy Greene gets a retirement job, who is he to the Wings org.? Just b/c he has roots in MI.... Kenny is that you? The Bolded part=WGAF?

I only agree to give Bowey a shot at F, but we're already looking at a log jam, couldn't hurt.
Why would Brodie or Krug want to sign with the league's worst team? It would require severe overpayment. Remember Niskanen and Sutter didn't want to come here when Kenny was in charge.

Also, overpaying for mediocre players gets the team into cap issues down the line. Signing Brodie is the defensive version of signing Nielsen.

I just mentioned the extra incentives that the team has to offer Greene, that's all. Seems like the best fit as a stop gap. Anyone else would require too much money and/or term, and Greene is still a serviceable Dman, who's better than any LHD on the current roster. (Low bar)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Why would Brodie or Krug want to sign with the league's worst team? It would require severe overpayment. Remember Niskanen and Sutter didn't want to come here when Kenny was in charge.

Also, overpaying for mediocre players gets the team into cap issues down the line. Signing Brodie is the defensive version of signing Nielsen.

I just mentioned the extra incentives that the team has to offer Greene, that's all. Seems like the best fit as a stop gap. Anyone else would require too much money and/or term, and Greene is still a serviceable Dman, who's better than any LHD on the current roster. (Low bar)
When healthy, DDK is better than Greene. Brodie / DDK / Hronek are all fairly equal in terms of what they bring on ice at this stage, maybe slight edge to Brodie. Hronek's ELC gives near league-wide best value. I could see Brodie getting $6x6 from a few teams actually, so $5M wouldn't be bad at all. I'd love a $4.75x4yr, but he'd very likely get better offers. Agree to disagree. As far as "cap issues", I'm cognizant of it, but with $62,505,833+LTIR in 2021 (per CapFriendly), we're still in cap heaven. +cap going up presumably. Granted Mantha/Bert/Fabbri/Hronek etc will take up some of that.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
When healthy, DDK is better than Greene. Brodie / DDK / Hronek are all fairly equal in terms of what they bring on ice at this stage, maybe slight edge to Brodie. Hronek's ELC gives near league-wide best value. I could see Brodie getting $6x6 from a few teams actually, so $5M wouldn't be bad at all. I'd love a $4.75x4yr, but he'd very likely get better offers. Agree to disagree. As far as "cap issues", I'm cognizant of it, but with $62,505,833+LTIR in 2021 (per CapFriendly), we're still in cap heaven. +cap going up presumably. Granted Mantha/Bert/Fabbri/Hronek etc will take up some of that.
If you see Brodie getting $6M x 6yr from a different team then why in the heck would he sign with the Wings for $5M? Your logic makes absolutely no sense, we're the WORST team in the league by a large margin.

That means this team needs to overpay by at least $1 -2 M per year. Do you really want Brodie at $8M x 7 yrs? No thanks.

I have realistic expectations. It's either Greene or someone like Nemeth (I don't know who the equivalent is this year).

Also, I'd take Hronek over DDK or Brodie.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
The best thing about a guy like Biega is he won’t complain about sitting 15 games at a time. Hopefully he isn’t a featured player like this season where he’s been forced into it. I’d rather have him slot in injuries than Daley, Ericsson, or Bowey. At least he can skate and doesn’t make airheaded puck decisions. That’s all you want from a 7th/8th D.
Every time Bowey touching puck, I have bad feelings ,transfer him to forward position or send him to GR

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Giving a big contract after all these bad contracts we have seen is a scary thought to me. I guess one big bad contract is not bad, it is more or less what every team can expect.

We have too many bad contracts, Howard, *Green, Ericson, Abdelkader, Nielsen, Filppula, Daley.
We get off the books *Green, Daley, Ericson, Howard.
Filppula at 3 and 1 year left is not too bad. But Nielsen and Abdelkader is a nightmare.

I think someone as Andy Greene is a good for us.

Reactions: Gniwder

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Filppula at 3 and 1 year left is not too bad. But Nielsen and Abdelkader is a nightmare.

Those are not as more nightmares, than some Ryan Callahan was years for Tampa. Even a strong contender can carry one. That's why I think Nielsen is the buyout candidate, and Abdelkader be solved with burying him. Our payraises won't go out from hands for many years and these contacts will die out before that phase on rise to a Contender.

Don't mind Andy Greene short-term, but Torey Krug is one of the best PP quaterbacks on the game. By far better than any of our guys on the kid core. Overpaying long-term for that level of Elite talent won't hurt either. It's clear organizational need, and we need talent to become better. Own draft picks only won't do the whole thing.

+7 millions from Ericsson+Daley to Torey Krug?

It's no-brainer and does make us instantly so much better. Add Seider for another main transition D-pair and the game balance will turn to the opposite end from Day 1.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Those are not as more nighmares, than some Ryan CAllahan was for Tampa. Even a strong contender can carry one. That's why I think Nielsen is the buyout candidate, and Abdelkader be solved with burying him. I payraises won't go out from hands for many years and these contacts will die out before that phase on rise to a Contender.

Don't mind Andy Greene short-term, but Torey Krug is one of the best PP quaterback on the game. Overpaying long-term for that level of Elite talent won't hurt either. We need talent to become better. Own draft picks only won't do the thing.
Overpaying for Krug makes sense, overpaying for mediocrity like Brodie doesn't.

Problem with a little guy like Krug is that he needs a partner that can protect him. Can Seider fight,, lol ?

Plus Krug has Michigan connections as well, though apparently he spent last summer in Conn.

Reactions: 14ari13

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Krug has played most with Brandon Carlo on last years. Before that is was Adam McQuaid.

So big-sized stay-at-home righty.

We don't have that kind of guy yet, but maybe Biega works for start. Lindström could be developed for that on long-run.

DeKeyser - Hronek
Krug - Lindström
Nemeth - Seider
-----------
7th Biega/Bowey

This would be fun to see. I think the partners would compliment each other very well.

Cholowski becomes a trade bait in this scenario. Krug would be all we hope Cholowski to be.

McIsaac takes a future role from either DeKeyser or Nemeth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2xJack

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If you see Brodie getting $6M x 6yr from a different team then why in the heck would he sign with the Wings for $5M? Your logic makes absolutely no sense, we're the WORST team in the league by a large margin.

That means this team needs to overpay by at least $1 -2 M per year. Do you really want Brodie at $8M x 7 yrs? No thanks.

I have realistic expectations. It's either Greene or someone like Nemeth (I don't know who the equivalent is this year).

Also, I'd take Hronek over DDK or Brodie.
I Never said he would sign for $5 w/Wings, but I did say: "I'd love a $4.75x4yr, but he'd very likely get better offers", but "since teams will offer $6, then $5M isn't bad". The $5Mx6yr. was your figure/term for mkt. value in Post #13: Confirmed with Link: - Alex Biega signs new 1 year 1-way Contract
Also your "$8Mx7yrs"...Heck NO! Why would you even suggest/infer that I want that? Go back & reread if you must, clearly you're missing something.

Agree to disagree on soon to be 38 years old Greene vs. versatile PMD Brodie soon to be 30.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Giving a big contract after all these bad contracts we have seen is a scary thought to me. I guess one big bad contract is not bad, it is more or less what every team can expect.

We have too many bad contracts, Howard, *Green, Ericson, Abdelkader, Nielsen, Filppula, Daley.
We get off the books *Green, Daley, Ericson, Howard.

Those are not as more nightmares, than some Ryan Callahan was years for Tampa. Even a strong contender can carry one. That's why I think Nielsen is the buyout candidate, and Abdelkader be solved with burying him. Our payraises won't go out from hands for many years and these contacts will die out before that phase on rise to a Contender.

Don't mind Andy Greene short-term, but Torey Krug is one of the best PP quaterbacks on the game. By far better than any of our guys on the kid core. Overpaying long-term for that level of Elite talent won't hurt either. It's clear organizational need, and we need talent to become better. Own draft picks only won't do the whole thing.

+7 millions from Ericsson+Daley to Torey Krug?

It's no-brainer and does make us instantly so much better. Add Seider for another main transition D-pair and the game balance will turn to the opposite end from Day 1.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I Never said he would sign for $5 w/Wings, but I did say: "I'd love a $4.75x4yr, but he'd very likely get better offers", but "since teams will offer $6, then $5M isn't bad". The $5Mx6yr. was your figure/term for mkt. value in Post #13: Confirmed with Link: - Alex Biega signs new 1 year 1-way Contract
Also your "$8Mx7yrs"...Heck NO! Why would you even suggest/infer that I want that? Go back & reread if you must, clearly you're missing something.

Agree to disagree on soon to be 38 years old Greene vs. versatile PMD Brodie soon to be 30.
So what figure are you putting on Brodie? If you're saying he gets $6M x 6 yrs from another team THEN WHAT IS YOUR FIGURE?

He's not signing with the Wings for less.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Overpaying for Krug makes sense, overpaying for mediocrity like Brodie doesn't.

Problem with a little guy like Krug is that he needs a partner that can protect him. Can Seider fight,, lol ?

Plus Krug has Michigan connections as well, though apparently he spent last summer in Conn.
We have Ericson, but he is gone next season.

Then we have DeKeyser and Nemeth. Neither can fight. But does Krug need to be protected?
Isn't Pieterangelo an UFA?

I think we have to sign a goalie. Bernier has been very good, maybe even great. But I am not sure if he can be #1. He knows he can take it rest of the season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Krug's long-term partner would be Seider and honestly I could see it happening early on in next year. Carlo was actually a name a lot of people liked for Seider entering the draft. I am a big Carlo fan so saying that with more offense is a really good player. I think it is a natural partnership and you hope McIsaac can become a stabilizing force with Hronek, with DK holding that role until he is ready, though I think DK winds up in Seattle at this point.

Lindstrom and Cholowski will fight for last protection in a scenario where we sign Krug with Hronek protected as well. I could see Cholowski being dealt at this point as soon as this summer, we will see. I think he should probably start in GR no matter what, let's try this a different way next year. Still I protect Lindstrom before DeKeyser as I don't really believe in extending him beyond this deal unless the terms is pretty short and his money comes down. You could even do that after his one year in Seattle.

I don't mind signing Biega, he is a fine 7 that should clear if we need to put someone in the AHL. I do wonder if this is bad news for Bowey.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Krug has played most with Brandon Carlo on last years. Before that is was Adam McQuaid.

So big-sized stay-at-home righty.

We don't have that kind of guy yet, but maybe Biega works for start. Lindström could be developed for that on long-run.

DeKeyser - Hronek
Krug - Lindström
Nemeth - Seider
-----------
7th Biega/Bowey

This would be fun to see. I think the partners would compliment each other very well.

Cholowski becomes a trade bait in this scenario. Krug would be all we hope Cholowski to be.

McIsaac takes a future role from either DeKeyser or Nemeth.
I would switch Seider with Lindstrom.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We have Ericson, but he is gone next season.

Then we have DeKeyser and Nemeth. Neither can fight. But does Krug need to be protected?
Isn't Pieterangelo an UFA?

I think we have to sign a goalie. Bernier has been very good, maybe even great. But I am not sure if he can be #1. He knows he can take it rest of the season.
Watch the highlights of the Tampa Boston game from a couple of days ago. Do you really want Krug fighting? Especially if we'r paying a premium.

Nemeth used his head to break Mantha's hand, but DeKeyser is a cripple. Regardles, Krug would be playing with a RHD, Hronek, Seider, Lindstrom, or Bowey (lol).

And yes, everyone is assuming Howard is gone and Stevie will sign a goalie. Nobody besides Stevie knows if that goalie is going to be a legit starter or a 1B type deal or a stop gap aging vet.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Watch the highlights of the Tampa Boston game from a couple of days ago. Do you really want Krug fighting? Especially if we'r paying a premium.

Nemeth used his head to break Mantha's hand, but DeKeyser is a cripple. Regardles, Krug would be playing with a RHD, Hronek, Seider, Lindstrom, or Bowey (lol).

And yes, everyone is assuming Howard is gone and Stevie will sign a goalie. Nobody besides Stevie knows if that goalie is going to be a legit starter or a 1B type deal or a stop gap aging vet.

I do not understand what you mean there, the bolded.

Do we have any fighters on our team? Ericson? Abdelkader?

I do not know if Yzerman has made up his mind on goalies. But I will be very surprised if he brings Howard back. If he does, then he plans to tank next season.

I posted in our DGT the highlights from that game and hinted he could win the game because the bolts had a tough game bs Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad