Player Discussion Alex Belzile

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
This thread deserves a bump. He's been playing lights out since being called up.

He's producing quite a bit, but honestly what I'm most impressed with is how extremely effective he is at all the little things. Wins board battles, great positioning offensively and defensively, great on the forecheck when that's his role, smart passes all around the ice and now he's shown his great shot as well.

I think it was Max Lapierre who said he'd prefer him ahead of Dvorak and I agree as well. However, I wouldn't want to scrap his line with Pezzetta and either HP or Richard. They've got great chemistry and you don't want to risk changing that for no reason.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He's been more significantly more productive and effective than Gallagher and Armia who make $10M combined.

I have tons of respect for how hard the guy has worked to get to this point without giving up, seems like he's a really popular guy in the locker room as well.

Very happy to see him have success, each time he's scored he's had the biggest smile on his face and he looks like a young kid who's just scored.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
He's been more significantly more productive and effective than Gallagher and Armia who make $10M combined.

I have tons of respect for how hard the guy has worked to get to this point without giving up, seems like he's a really popular guy in the locker room as well.

Very happy to see him have success, each time he's scored he's had the biggest smile on his face and he looks like a young kid who's just scored.
Im getting Darche vibes with him. He's a career journeyman who is finding his niche in the NHL. Even if he is back in Laval next year, hes the perfect depth guy to have.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Im getting Darche vibes with him. He's a career journeyman who is finding his niche in the NHL. Even if he is back in Laval next year, hes the perfect depth guy to have.
Yes I came to write he's the new Darche.

Darche got a lot of hate around here but he was a useful depth/role player. Big difference for now is the Habs have a coach that won't staple Belzile to the first line for weeks on end without reason

SupRocket

Jul 12, 2022
It's a meme word in a way, but Belzile sticking on the NHL roster next year would be great for the team culture. Local guy who plays hard and is a late bloomer. It's easy to root for him and I'm sure he's respected in the room because of his story and dedication.

SupRocket

Jul 12, 2022
Alex is a guess on the Support Athlétique, french podcast out today. Fun listen, definitely recommend.

Last edited:
Reactions: A55P2

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Yes I came to write he's the new Darche.

Darche got a lot of hate around here but he was a useful depth/role player. Big difference for now is the Habs have a coach that won't staple Belzile to the first line for weeks on end without reason
I never got the hate for Darche. Even at the time, I thought 26 pts in 59 games at a league minimum salary was incredibly respectable.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I remember being frustrated the Habs couldn't get real offensive firepower and had a habit of miscasting role players but that's more on the coach and GM than the player itself IMO.
Yes, exactly.
I never got the hate for Darche. Even at the time, I thought 26 pts in 59 games at a league minimum salary was incredibly respectable.
The hate wasn't (usually) directed at HIM, but at the fact that he was used 16+ minutes a night and on the PP.

If he had been plaing 10 minutes a night, PK + occasionnal shift, no one would have batted an eye. He was a hard working, honest player.

Similar situation to Desharnais, really.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
This thread deserves a bump. He's been playing lights out since being called up.

He's producing quite a bit, but honestly what I'm most impressed with is how extremely effective he is at all the little things. Wins board battles, great positioning offensively and defensively, great on the forecheck when that's his role, smart passes all around the ice and now he's shown his great shot as well.

I think it was Max Lapierre who said he'd prefer him ahead of Dvorak and I agree as well. However, I wouldn't want to scrap his line with Pezzetta and either HP or Richard. They've got great chemistry and you don't want to risk changing that for no reason.
Have to be careful with that, though. He’s a good story right now but i wouldn’t say he is better than Dvorak who has 422 NHL games under his belt. Some guys aren’t AHL career guys for nothing, not because they can’t play at that level but because they can’t keep up for 82 games a year. Belzile played 20 games, doing his thing right now but it’s kinda bold to say he is ‘’better’’ than Dvorak.

Reactions: Lshap

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Have to be careful with that, though. He’s a good story right now but i wouldn’t say he is better than Dvorak who has 422 NHL games under his belt. Some guys aren’t AHL career guys for nothing, not because they can’t play at that level but because they can’t keep up for 82 games a year. Belzile played 20 games, doing his thing right now but it’s kinda bold to say he is ‘’better’’ than Dvorak.
It's bold, but I'd bet on it. You can look back on this whole thread, I've been a fan for a while.

It's all in the little things. If you pay attention to his play, you'll see the insane amount of good reads he makes. He even said it himself in his interview, that's his strongest point and he's right. He's not as vanilla as Dvorak in my view.

There's a lot of guys that only needs the opportunity to show how they can make an impact. Just look at RHP right now, he looks like a sure thing to start with the team next year. Had it not been for injuries, who knows if he would even have had a career with us. I think Richard is another one of those guys too.

Last edited:

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Belzile is a good story but you always have to be weary of guys over performing at garbage time. Rem Pitlick is a prime example currently. Played well last yr when he had things to prove and given the ice time only. This yr it seemed he took the foot off the pedal and only got another chance due to injuries.

Hope Belzile continues because he cant let up

Reactions: yianik

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Darche was targeted by fans because of the coach. Darche was a terrific 4th line guy and was well appreciated . But then JM slots him on the top 6 and PP , and fans boo. Same thing with Brisbois being played on the top pair and Weisse on the top 6.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Belzile is a good story but you always have to be weary of guys over performing at garbage time. Rem Pitlick is a prime example currently. Played well last yr when he had things to prove and given the ice time only. This yr it seemed he took the foot off the pedal and only got another chance due to injuries.

Or Laurent Dauphin last year. But Belzile I thought played well in Bubble also. I would definitely offer him a contract

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
After listening to that interview with The Athletic hard not to cheer for the guy, definitely recommend it to anyone who speaks French. Great story!

Reactions: 26Mats

SupRocket

Jul 12, 2022
I'm starting to reach the point where I would be low key pissed if he isn't starting the year in Montreal next season. Saw this on Habs reddit :
1678969518500.png

Reactions: 26Mats

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Great story. I remember watching Belzile in Laval when I had Rocket tickets a few years ago. We figured that was his ceiling – solid AHL player and good leader. Watching him push the play forward and produce is terrific. It doesn't really matter if this streak is unsustainable; he's proven himself capable of playing against the best.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Pitlick couldn't continue what he did last year.

But Pitlick is Pitlick. Glen Metropolit was a good example of a guy that came in late but was a great 4th liner. Belzile could be too. His game is very different than Pitlick's.

And, I wouldn't mind a top heavy team with Pitlick on the 4th line. He adds speed to the lineup. He messes up offensive chances sometimes, but also makes good offensive plays other times. Like Belzile, he can move up the lineup when needed.

But now there are a lot of guys I'd like to see on the 4th line AHEAD of Gallagher, Armia, and Hoffman: Belzile, Evans, Richard, Ylonen, Pitlick, Pez, Heineman. That's 7 guys for three spots, that may not even be there because of the washed up vets. It will be interesting to see what HuGo do this offseason.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Darche was targeted by fans because of the coach. Darche was a terrific 4th line guy and was well appreciated . But then JM slots him on the top 6 and PP , and fans boo. Same thing with Brisbois being played on the top pair and Weisse on the top 6.
Same thing with Desharnais. If he would've stayed on the third line with some PP time, I'm sure he would've been liked way more by the fanbase.

Belzile has been a nice story in the second half of the season. Hope he can keep it up.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I'm starting to reach the point where I would be low key pissed if he isn't starting the year in Montreal next season. Saw this on Habs reddit : View attachment 669966

I'd be disappointed if he is. The team needs to get better, not stay the same. A hot streak doesn't change that.

I prefer him as Laval's Captain and first injury call-up option.

Either that or he needs to push past other players we brought in for the NHL spot.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd be disappointed if he is. The team needs to get better, not stay the same. A hot streak doesn't change that.

I prefer him as Laval's Captain and first injury call-up option.

Either that or he needs to push past other players we brought in for the NHL spot.

This is our depth chart right now, imo. It will be interesting to see what HuGo do with it in the offseason.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Farrell - Dach - Gurianov
RHP - Dvo - Anderson
Richard/Pez- Evan's/Belzile - Ylonen
Pitlick, Gallagher(hopefully on LTIR and upper management), Hoffman (traded 50% retained or bought out), Armia (traded or in Laval or the press box).

If course I'm aware we probably will not get rid of one or all of Hoffman, Armia, and Gallagher.

But what changes would you make in the offseason?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad