Prospect Info: Aleksi Heponiemi (2017, #40 overall), Kärpät (Liiga)

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
lucky calgary. i originally thought steen and hepo were propping him up but he did major damage without them. he looks like the real deal. lucky calgary. why cant the panthers ever sign good undrafted players? do they just not wanna come here?
Gawdin was actually drafted by Calgary (4th round 2015), not signed as an undrafted player.
He's an overager in his fifth WHL season who only put up major numbers this year. Not saying he can't be a good player but many guys like this have busted.
If you're actually looking for an undrafted player like that with the Panthers, his name is Dryden Hunt. He had similarly good numbers in his final season.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Gawdin was actually drafted by Calgary (4th round 2015), not signed as an undrafted player.
He's an overager in his fifth WHL season who only put up major numbers this year. Not saying he can't be a good player but many guys like this have busted.
If you're actually looking for an undrafted player like that with the Panthers, his name is Dryden Hunt. He had similarly good numbers in his final season.

I think it was actually STL who drafted him in the 4th round and he didn't get signed by them. Just find it weird he can still play in a junior league at 20 years old.

Ya Hunt is the same idea here. Hepo looks like he will smash Hunts 116 pt season as a 2nd year guy. Needs to hire a nutrionist to help put on some healthy weight. Needs to get up around 160-165lbs at minimum for the NHL imo.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
yea he wasnt drafted by the flames. he just chose to sign an ELC with them. and hes way better than dryden hunt. i dont get why players like that never wanna take advantage of the no sales tax especially on what might be the only contract they ever get. plus floridas a nice place. i guess the dumpster fire really does scare them away cause floridas one of the best places to live. just annoying.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I think it was actually STL who drafted him in the 4th round and he didn't get signed by them. Just find it weird he can still play in a junior league at 20 years old.

Ya Hunt is the same idea here. Hepo looks like he will smash Hunts 116 pt season as a 2nd year guy. Needs to hire a nutrionist to help put on some healthy weight. Needs to get up around 160-165lbs at minimum for the NHL imo.
You're right about Gawdin's draft, my mistake. Anyway my point was that he is producing in a junior league as a 20 y.o. soon to turn 21 overager... which is still very nice but doesn't necessarily mean much moving forward.

Agree that Hepo definitely needs to gain at least a bit of weight before turning pro.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
yea he wasnt drafted by the flames. he just chose to sign an ELC with them. and hes way better than dryden hunt. i dont get why players like that never wanna take advantage of the no sales tax especially on what might be the only contract they ever get. plus floridas a nice place. i guess the dumpster fire really does scare them away cause floridas one of the best places to live. just annoying.
Way better without playing a single game of profesional hockey? You need to really stop with the wide brush strokes.

Cant paint everyone the same, just because you said so.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Way better without playing a single game of profesional hockey? You need to really stop with the wide brush strokes.

Cant paint everyone the same, just because you said so.
hmm outscored hunt in every junior yr by a mile, is the captain of the best team in the whl, is leading the entire chl in scoring, and has pretty much a better skillset in every way to hunt. and hunt was pretty whatever in the ahl and nhl. what wide brush strokes im using. r u serious? theres not a person on earth besides u that would take hunt over gawdin. u cant be real here. i dont believe in u.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
hmm outscored hunt in every junior yr by a mile, is the captain of the best team in the whl, is leading the entire chl in scoring, and has pretty much a better skillset in every way to hunt. and hunt was pretty whatever in the ahl and nhl. what wide brush strokes im using. r u serious? theres not a person on earth besides u that would take hunt over gawdin. u cant be real here. i dont believe in u.

Didn't Hunt have 83pts in his 4th year? Gawdin only had 59pts in his 4th year?

Otherwise I think the gap is a lot closer than you think it is. Let's see what Gawdin can do in the AHL. I wouldn't mind if we had given him a 2yr AHL deal to play with Hepo and see where it goes from there.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Didn't Hunt have 83pts in his 4th year? Gawdin only had 59pts in his 4th year?

Otherwise I think the gap is a lot closer than you think it is. Let's see what Gawdin can do in the AHL. I wouldn't mind if we had given him a 2yr AHL deal to play with Hepo and see where it goes from there.
The numbers are correct but Gawdin was injured for a lot of games.
Hunt: 83 points in 71 games (1.17 ppg)
Gawdin: 59 points in 52 games (1.13 ppg).
Gawdin has essentially missed 20 games in each of the the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons with injuries.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

First of all you don't have any AHL/NHL comparison for Gawdin so that point is kind of irrelevant.

Also yes, Gawdin's numbers this year are better but has played almost all season with Heponiemi and Steenbergen who are putting up similar numbers - both of them actually have a higher .ppg than Gawdin. Gawdin will probably finish second in the league behind Heponiemi, same as Hunt was second in his overage year - except Hunt's linemates weren't in the top10 in scoring with him. In case you forgot, Hunt was named the WHL player of the year in 2016 when we signed him.

And having a C in juniors is great! Greg McKegg also had a C for his two overage seasons and ranked top10 in scoring in his overage season. Sure, Erie Otters wasn't the best team back then but they made the playoffs.

For the record, I'm not saying that Hunt is a better player than Gawdin. They're different players and playing different positions and we honestly won't know which one is better for a few years at least (unless Gawdin jumps straight into the NHL next year, which I doubt). But as of now, Gawdin is just a prospect who produces great numbers as an overager on a stacked team. Sure he's a good prospect and I'd love to have him in our system, but he's far from a sure thing - and your narrative that "prospects like him never sign with us" is just wrong. If anything, Gawdin wasn't some hot commodity in the offseason when Calgary signed him (obviously things would be different now). Hunt OTOH had offers from at least four other teams (including Montreal and Calgary), but picked us.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
First of all you don't have any AHL/NHL comparison for Gawdin so that point is kind of irrelevant.

Also yes, Gawdin's numbers this year are better but has played almost all season with Heponiemi and Steenbergen who are putting up similar numbers - both of them actually have a higher .ppg than Gawdin. Gawdin will probably finish second in the league behind Heponiemi, same as Hunt was second in his overage year - except Hunt's linemates weren't in the top10 in scoring with him. In case you forgot, Hunt was named the WHL player of the year in 2016 when we signed him.

And having a C in juniors is great! Greg McKegg also had a C for his two overage seasons and ranked top10 in scoring in his overage season. Sure, Erie Otters wasn't the best team back then but they made the playoffs.

For the record, I'm not saying that Hunt is a better player than Gawdin. They're different players and playing different positions and we honestly won't know which one is better for a few years at least (unless Gawdin jumps straight into the NHL next year, which I doubt). But as of now, Gawdin is just a prospect who produces great numbers as an overager on a stacked team. Sure he's a good prospect and I'd love to have him in our system, but he's far from a sure thing - and your narrative that "prospects like him never sign with us" is just wrong. If anything, Gawdin wasn't some hot commodity in the offseason when Calgary signed him (obviously things would be different now). Hunt OTOH had offers from at least four other teams (including Montreal and Calgary), but picked us.
yaaaaay so the one guy who picked us is hunt? maybe that's cause he blows and we were the only roster he thought he could crack. and dude if u think gawdins production is just based on his linemates u clearly didn't see him take it to a whole new level when both were gone for much of the season. he's leading the chl in his own right. he deserves the scoring title. and I don't know that hepo will catch him while playinf on his line for the few games that r left since he'll factor in on a lot of hepos remaining points. if hepo takes the crown it will be a squeaker. had hepo plaued the whole season then obviously his ~160 pts would've demolished everyone. but gawdin based on the eye test and his numbers vs hunt is a ridiculous comparison. 2 ppg and likely 60 goals is insanely diff. than 1.5 ppg. this really shouldn't be a debate.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
yaaaaay so the one guy who picked us is hunt? maybe that's cause he blows and we were the only roster he thought he could crack. and dude if u think gawdins production is just based on his linemates u clearly didn't see him take it to a whole new level when both were gone for much of the season. he's leading the chl in his own right. he deserves the scoring title. and I don't know that hepo will catch him while playinf on his line for the few games that r left since he'll factor in on a lot of hepos remaining points. if hepo takes the crown it will be a squeaker. had hepo plaued the whole season then obviously his ~160 pts would've demolished everyone. but gawdin based on the eye test and his numbers vs hunt is a ridiculous comparison. 2 ppg and likely 60 goals is insanely diff. than 1.5 ppg. this really shouldn't be a debate.
It's 1.88 ppg compared to 1.61 ppg - while Gawdin plays with 2.30 ppg Hepo and 1.96 ppg Steenbergen.
Another fun fact: Hunt had 58 goals that season; Gawdin is on pace for 62 goals.
Again, where do you see that "huge difference"?

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
It's 1.88 ppg compared to 1.61 ppg - while Gawdin plays with 2.30 ppg Hepo and 1.96 ppg Steenbergen.
Another fun fact: Hunt had 58 goals that season; Gawdin is on pace for 62 goals.
Again, where do you see that "huge difference"?
clearly in those 4 goals and .27 ppg.....

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Major concern for hepo. Hasn’t scored a playoff goal yet. This should temper expectations on him. He’s not
Close to mhm ready imo. Way too one dimensional and obviously way too much perimeter play and not near enough shooting. Staying in juniors another
Year won’t be bad for him. He’s gotta work on shooting and scoring next year to balance out his playmaking.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Huge overreaction to Hepo's playoff performance. He's putting up points but not shooting enough. Oh no, that can't be fixed! /s

He showed in the regular season he is more of a playmaker and can score goals.

Another season in Juniors is completely pointless. He needs to play in Europe.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Huge overreaction to Hepo's playoff performance. He's putting up points but not shooting enough. Oh no, that can't be fixed! /s

He showed in the regular season he is more of a playmaker and can score goals.

Another season in Juniors is completely pointless. He needs to play in Europe.
It’s not completely pointless. He clearly has a big weakness and his game at the moment will not translate to pro. This isn’t some 5 game slump. This is juniors and he isn’t some 16 year old. He needs another dimension to his game before he turns pro imo.

Reactions: Jakeybonz

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
It’s not completely pointless. He clearly has a big weakness and his game at the moment will not translate to pro. This isn’t some 5 game slump. This is juniors and he isn’t some 16 year old. He needs another dimension to his game before he turns pro imo.
It's not a big weakness. He scored during the regular season. High offensive IQ players with good puck skills with a history of being playmakers tend to overpass. Huberdeau had this problem. Barkov had this problem. Literally all he needs to do is shoot more instead of always pass. He's always passing.

Juniors is pointless. He dominated juniors. He needs tougher competition.

Reactions: drktmplr12

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
It's not a big weakness. He scored during the regular season. High offensive IQ players with good puck skills with a history of being playmakers tend to overpass. Huberdeau had this problem. Barkov had this problem. Literally all he needs to do is shoot more instead of always pass. He's always passing.

Juniors is pointless. He dominated juniors. He needs tougher competition.
He’s not dominating juniors tho. He has 0 goals in the playoffs. That’s a big concern. He should work on this in a development league like juniors. Instead of adjusting to men and a different game in Europe where he might be just surviving instead of rounding out his game. 0 goals isn’t dominating. Playoffs matter when the competition is more on par. This isn’t just overpassing. Even huby a notorious overpasser/playmaker put up almost a goal per game in playoffs. And goal to assist ratio was close. Hepos isn’t close. And it’s a big concern. Major red flags. Doesn’t mean he’s not a good prospect. Means he isn’t really close and has a lot to work on

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
He’s not dominating juniors tho. He has 0 goals in the playoffs. That’s a big concern. He should work on this in a development league like juniors. Instead of adjusting to men and a different game in Europe where he might be just surviving instead of rounding out his game. 0 goals isn’t dominating. Playoffs matter when the competition is more on par. This isn’t just overpassing. Even huby a notorious overpasser/playmaker put up almost a goal per game in playoffs. And goal to assist ratio was close. Hepos isn’t close. And it’s a big concern. Major red flags. Doesn’t mean he’s not a good prospect. Means he isn’t really close and has a lot to work on
It's just not a concern.

He had 28 goals this season which was a nice increase in goal per game over the past season. He had 2 goals in 5 games at WJC.

It's not like he's not producing in the playoffs. He has 18 assists in 14 games. He leads the league in playoff assists.

He led the WHL regular season in points per game. That's pretty dominant. He has nothing else to prove. Of the top scorers in the WHL he lags behind them big time in shots. He doesn't shoot enough but that's fixable. He's a playmaker first and foremost. That's his game.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
118 points in 57 games is dominating. he has more ppg than the next closest player by far. not saying that its the end all be all or that he is ready for the NHL, but it does count for something. He is generating scoring chances and shoots at 20% just like all the other top junior players.

he does have holes in his game. he obviously needs to shoot more..he is one of two forwards in top scorers this year with less than 200 shots, and the only one with less than 150. everyone else has damn near 300. also have to work on faceoffs if he is going to center anything above juniors. part of that will be strength conditioning.

4ryBMF5

Reactions: RainingRats

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
He absolutely should go pro next season. It makes zero sense whatsoever to go back to juniors after a season like this.

He misses the cutoff for AHL eligibility by 9 days which is unfortunate. Although I'm not quite sure what exactly the rules are since Kuokkanen did play in the AHL this year even with this being his 18-19 season. Could be because he wasn't drafted from the CHL so the same rules don't apply.

But if AHL is not a possibility, then he needs to go Finland for a year. Similar to Juolevi this season. No questions about that. Needs new challenges. Playing in Finland could be a better development spot than the AHL anyway.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
He absolutely should go pro next season. It makes zero sense whatsoever to go back to juniors after a season like this.

He misses the cutoff for AHL eligibility by 9 days which is unfortunate. Although I'm not quite sure what exactly the rules are since Kuokkanen did play in the AHL this year even with this being his 18-19 season. Could be because he wasn't drafted from the CHL so the same rules don't apply.

But if AHL is not a possibility, then he needs to go Finland for a year. Similar to Juolevi this season. No questions about that. Needs new challenges. Playing in Finland could be a better development spot than the AHL anyway.
He's not ready to play against men. He needs to stay in Juniors for another year and get stronger. Continue playing on the smaller rink. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad