ALDS: Toronto Blue Jays vs Texas Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The Jays didnt score after the 5th. Hamels and their pen shut them down after the revere single. That is why they lost.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
That didn't determine the outcome. Despite that the Rangers still had 2 outs and no runs scored in the inning with their worst player at the plate.

Difference between Jays batting and Rangers having a set-up for the lead. Also, there's no way you don't believe that didn't determine anything. Odor has been lethal on-base against the Jays in Game 1 and now 2.

I apologize now -- I was simply an idiot. That was a bad call.

No need to. It happens even to me too, especially when judging without having an idea of what the strike zone is.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Now our best reliever in Cecil has a torn calf from chasing down Napoli in a run down.

Yup, Toronto sports curse is in full effect. Can't say I'm not used to it, though.

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
Sobering dose of reality. The series is over. Jays will be swept just like the Raps.
Hopefully, the bandwagoners will **** off now. All these so-called fans coming out of the woodwork, and who aren't from the city will go back to bashing it ceaselessly.
Jays fans only when convenient.

If you're from this city, you know how devastating this is. We should come to expect it, really. It's crushing knowing that this was our only legit chance for a championship, and it's probably been squandered.

Luckily, my life sucks anyways, so the cruelty of sports is just par for the course, and not entirely unexpected.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
I don't buy that Astros are that threatening, maybe that's just me.

You probably should start buying it. They have four tremendous players - Correa, Keuchel, Altuve, Springer - and a nice supporting cast. They're just as capable as anyone of winning the AL this year.

Lifetime stats are irrelevant when you consider what's being done in the playoffs right now

Then why bring up Hamilton?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
That's not very good counting. I got +7 for the Rangers. Anything touching the strikezone is a strike. Assuming you are correct about +2 for the Jays, this is a negligible difference over the course of a game.

10 that were absolutely outside the zone that were called strikes
3 that were borderline and could have been called either way
3 that were strikes that got called balls

That's +7 at best. +10 at worst.

The ump was bad all day long for both teams, but the Jays did get squeezed more as a lot of these calls were strike 3. I'd like to see the Jays charts though as well. Having said that, the Jays just need to be better. They were pathetic at the plate with their approach and discipline.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
You probably should start buying it. They have four tremendous players - Correa, Keuchel, Altuve, Springer - and a nice supporting cast. They're just as capable as anyone of winning the AL this year.

This isn't to say that Houston doesn't have a good team, but I don't think they measure up to a team like the Rangers. Even if the Blue Jays had to face them as a WC seed, I think the will have an easier time against them than the Rangers.

Then why bring up Hamilton?

The point was more towards Odor than Hamilton. You brought up the lifetime steals, and that statistic had absolutely no bearing on Odor's strong performance in Games 1 and 2.

littleD

Damn it Blue Jays, you're supposed to be different than other Toronto teams!

Where did this sloppy baseball come from? I know they like hitting home runs, but holy, those home run swings with no contact... felt like THE WHOLE LINEUP did that today.

The booting around the baseball in the first inning... Yikes.

Also, can or will baseball ever do anything about the ridiculous waste of time of players and managers and coaches and the entire dugout emptying for absolutely no reason?

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
This isn't to say that Houston doesn't have a good team, but I don't think they measure up to a team like the Rangers.
They measure up just fine against the Rangers. You're probably not taking Houston that seriously because they had a long run of being terribad. And the Rangers aren't exactly the type of caliber team they were in 2010 and 2011.

Even if the Blue Jays had to face them as a WC seed, I think the will have an easier time against them than the Rangers.
giphy.gif

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
That didn't determine the outcome. Despite that the Rangers still had 2 outs and no runs scored in the inning with their worst player at the plate.

Instead of there being three outs and the Jays coming to bat after a strong defensive play, Texas's best player in this series by a country mile was allowed to stay on second base, after a demoralizing and baffling decision by the umps. Was it the very next pitch that put Texas ahead, or maybe 2-3 pitches later Odor was sliding across home plate with the winning run?

No, you're absolutely right, that play didn't determine the outcome in this game. Not at all.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
They measure up just fine against the Rangers. You're probably not taking Houston that seriously because they had a long run of being terribad. And the Rangers aren't exactly the type of caliber team they were in 2010 and 2011.

Why would I give a **** about the Astros' long run? That has no bearing on how I saw them play this year. And while they have great players (Keuchel, Rasmus hitting a hot streak now etc.), they're nowhere near as bad of a match-up for the Jays than the Rangers are.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Astros are a team that can sweep or get swept under any circumstances. It would be even more demoralizing if we were to be down 0-2 against the Astros, with someone like say, Rasmus, doing most of the damage. I wouldn't really put matchups into consideration when it comes to the playoffs considering that anything could very well happen.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Sobering dose of reality. The series is over. Jays will be swept just like the Raps.
Hopefully, the bandwagoners will **** off now. All these so-called fans coming out of the woodwork, and who aren't from the city will go back to bashing it ceaselessly.

If you're from this city, you know how devastating this is. We should come to expect it, really. It's crushing knowing that this was our only legit chance for a championship, and it's probably been squandered.

Luckily, my life sucks anyways, so the cruelty of sports is just par for the course, and not entirely unexpected.

It's the same in every city, everywhere. Get over it.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Comments like this just bug me so much. Why exactly are any fans from out of the city bandwagoners? The games are shown coast to coast there are people on all sides of the country that are as big of fans of this team as any fan in Toronto that just happen to not live in Toronto. :shakehead

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Also the people complaining about bandwagoners would be the same ones complaining if the dome was half full and quite during the games.....Can't have it both ways lol

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Instead of there being three outs and the Jays coming to bat after a strong defensive play, Texas's best player in this series by a country mile was allowed to stay on second base, after a demoralizing and baffling decision by the umps. Was it the very next pitch that put Texas ahead, or maybe 2-3 pitches later Odor was sliding across home plate with the winning run?

No, you're absolutely right, that play didn't determine the outcome in this game. Not at all.

Blaming the umps is a losing attitude. Blaming the umps means you're too weak to look yourself in the mirror to call yourself out for underperforming. Maybe if Donaldson didn't hack away at the first pitch like a little leaguer with Revere on base, or if Bautista didn't strike out swinging on a pitch that bounced off the plate with Revere in scoring position, or if Tulo didn't ground out like a chump on the first pitch in the same situation. There are many reasons the Jays lost this game, the call at 2nd is like the 10th reason.

Losers make excuses, and right now that's what the Jays are. Until they are willing to see their own faults they will keep losing.

To a man, every single Blue Jay I saw interviewed after the game blamed the umps with the exception of Hawkins. In other words, Hawkins was the only player on the team who was willing to take accountability. Martin, Donaldson, Bautista et al all felt they played a flawless game apparently. I personally would have removed Donaldson from the game after that debacle in the 8th inning. That was absolutely disgraceful. You have your best base runner on with no outs and hack away at the first pitch? MVP my ass.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Blaming the umps is a losing attitude. Blaming the umps means you're too weak to look yourself in the mirror to call yourself out for underperforming. Maybe if Donaldson didn't hack away at the first pitch like a little leaguer with Revere on base, or if Bautista didn't strike out swinging on a pitch that bounced off the plate with Revere in scoring position, or if Tulo didn't ground out like a chump on the first pitch in the same situation. There are many reasons the Jays lost this game, the call at 2nd is like the 10th reason.

Losers make excuses, and right now that's what the Jays are. Until they are willing to see their own faults they will keep losing.

To a man, every single Blue Jay I saw interviewed after the game blamed the umps with the exception of Hawkins. In other words, Hawkins was the only player on the team who was willing to take accountability. Martin, Donaldson, Bautista et al all felt they played a flawless game apparently. I personally would have removed Donaldson from the game after that debacle in the 8th inning. That was absolutely disgraceful. You have your best base runner on with no outs and hack away at the first pitch? MVP my ass.
Ya take Donaldson out for Pennington lol that will win you lots of games!

Edit:I do agree with what you are saying in general the umps were really bad but if the Jays played well they win anyways but they just haven't executed well so far and that isn't on anybody but them.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

This. Umps were bad. So what? Jays had more than enough chances to put it away and flailed like little leaguers. Couldn't even make contact for the most part and we're swinging from their heels w their eyes closed for the more part. I guess it's Texas's fault for not just handing them the game. When Texas got a runner on in key situations they played smart and did something with it. If you're gonna let guys like Alberto, and Napoli beat you then you don't deserve to win.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
As an A's I can tell you this series isn't over until the 3rd game is won. No need to pack up shop just yet.

Plus, if there's any team not named Oakland who is capable of blowing this it's Texas.

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
Why would I give a **** about the Astros' long run? That has no bearing on how I saw them play this year. And while they have great players (Keuchel, Rasmus hitting a hot streak now etc.), they're nowhere near as bad of a match-up for the Jays than the Rangers are.
Getting tired of hearing of how the Jays apparently match up poorly against the Rangers. No they don't, not at all. The Jays' biggest issue is that they're cracking under pressure, something that seems to be common for Toronto sports teams in the postseason. I doubt the Jays would have fared any better against Houston.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

I absolutely agree with this.

I hate seeing a team blame the umps. Were there bad calls? Yes. Did some go both ways? Yes. (I do understand that the last call was the worst of the bunch) If you cannot score since the 5th inning, you cannot blame one call in the 14th for the loss. Jays batters need to STOP swinging for home runs, and start playing smart baseball. When you have a runner on 2nd or 3rd -- why not bunt to first? What about a sac-fly? Rather than just trying to get a big hit. It's the playoffs and it just seems to me like the Jays seem like they deserve to win -- without improving their play. Adjust the way you are playing if what you typically do to win isn't working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad