Prospect Info: Albin Grewe selected by Saginaw in Import Draft

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Well with Devellano and Osgood as owners, they probably know if e wants to come over or not. I would think he was on his way for sure but with the pandemic it might not happen. Hes definitely way more suited to be playing in North america though

Reactions: Winger98

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Have to think he is coming over, as I doubt Saginaw wastes a pick if they aren't kind of confident he is coming.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Well with Devellano and Osgood as owners, they probably know if e wants to come over or not. I would think he was on his way for sure but with the pandemic it might not happen. Hes definitely way more suited to be playing in North america though

To be honest, I'm wondering if they pulled some strings in order to get the management team to pick him and get him out of Sweden.

Get him to North America, let him refine his game, close to Detroit, close to player development. Most importantly, get him into a situation that let's him play more time and emphasize the hockey skills, but also not worry a ton about a softer set of rules.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Quote from their GM:

“To be able to add an impact player like Albin to our strong core of forwards for next season is very exciting. Grewe is a very competitive and tenacious player that works extremely hard and pushes the pace when on the ice. His mix of skill and high compete will fit in well with our team here in Saginaw and I know our coaches can’t wait to see him in our uniform next season”

Sounds like he is coming over

Christien

May 1, 2010
Quote from their GM:

“To be able to add an impact player like Albin to our strong core of forwards for next season is very exciting. Grewe is a very competitive and tenacious player that works extremely hard and pushes the pace when on the ice. His mix of skill and high compete will fit in well with our team here in Saginaw and I know our coaches can’t wait to see him in our uniform next season”

Sounds like he is coming over
Exciting news!

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Finally, he had no place in the SHL. Hope he gets a killer season, gets adjusted to the NA game before joining the Griffins in season 2021-2022

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Oh man, what good news! I'll gladly take that trip up I-75 to watch the T-Rex. I picked him to be the prospect that makes a big stride this year. I'm happy to (hopefully) get the chance to see it happen in person.

Reactions: Bench

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Interesting that Detroit might be using connections to have a "junior" farm team right here in SE Michigan.
Detroit hasn't done a ton of drafting from the junior teams.
2 players from Saginaw.
None from Flint.
None from Plymouth.
Even back in the 80s, they only took one from Detroit Compuware.

They haven't drafted a Spitfire from Windsor since 1985 (Graves)

They've never drafted a UofM guy above the 3rd round and only taken 3 Wolverines.

Of course, they famously took Joe Murphy from MSU #1 overall.

As to Grewe, I wasn't impressed with him in the 3 on 3 tournament.. For a little guy, he's not a strong skater.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Interesting that Detroit might be using connections to have a "junior" farm team right here in SE Michigan.
2 players from Saginaw.
None from Flint.
None from Plymouth.

They've never drafted a UofM guy above the 3rd round and only taken 3 Wolverines.

As to Grewe, I wasn't impressed with him in the 3 on 3 tournament.. For a little guy, he's not a strong skater.

Not saying he had a great season or anything, but if theres a single prospect in the wings system where a 3 on 3 tournament against his own team wouldnt show off his talent, its Grewe. He needs to get out of Sweden so we can see what he can do. He could be a complete wrecking ball and terror in junior next year for sure

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Not saying he had a great season or anything, but if theres a single prospect in the wings system where a 3 on 3 tournament against his own team wouldnt show off his talent, its Grewe. He needs to get out of Sweden so we can see what he can do. He could be a complete wrecking ball and terror in junior next year for sure

He was compared to Marchand a lot. He's nowhere near Marchand in the skating/skill department.
Interesting to see he's up from 5'11 to 6'0 though.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
2 players from Saginaw.
None from Flint.
None from Plymouth.

Wait, what? They've never drafted a Michigan guy above the 3rd round? o_O Are you really sure about that?

They also took Justin Abdelkader from MSU in the 2nd round.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Oh man, what good news! I'll gladly take that trip up I-75 to watch the T-Rex. I picked him to be the prospect that makes a big stride this year. I'm happy to (hopefully) get the chance to see it happen in person.

You and me both, brother. Guy is going to be a gamer. He's my prospect hype train. Maybe I've got the dummy eyes, but watching him, he punches way above his draft position. Add that sandpaper and you got yourself a stew.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Wait, what? They've never drafted a Michigan guy above the 3rd round? o_O Are you really sure about that?

They also took Justin Abdelkader from MSU in the 2nd round.

I was just doing CTRL Fs, so I might have missed it.
I thought, that can't be right, what about Larkin? But Larkin was out of the USNTP.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I was just doing CTRL Fs, so I might have missed it.
I thought, that can't be right, what about Larkin? But Larkin was out of the USNTP.

Still wondering how Jim Nill/Joe McDonnell missed Larkin as Dallas GM/scouting director.

And took Julius Honka 1 pick before. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad