Alberta Golden Bears 2014-15

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
It is my belief that virtually every key Golden Bear who just completed his fourth year of eligibility will return to the program.
This would include Jordan Rowley and Thomas Carr on defence, and Jordan Hickmott, Kruise Reddick, Levko Koper, Brett Ferguson and James Dobrowolski up front.

Surprised that some of these guys, including Reddick,Hickmott,Carr,Rowley aren't turning pro?
I was told that Reddick graduates and was moving on??

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
It is my belief that virtually every key Golden Bear who just completed his fourth year of eligibility will return to the program.
This would include Jordan Rowley and Thomas Carr on defence, and Jordan Hickmott, Kruise Reddick, Levko Koper, Brett Ferguson and James Dobrowolski up front.

Damn I hope that is not true. :sarcasm:

If they bring in Taran Kozun as their goaltender they could be even better than this year's team.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
TJ Foster to go pro

Sources say that Golden Bears forward TJ Foster who was Canada West MVP and just completed his second year at Alberta will be leaving the program after winning back-to-back National Championships to play in the American Hockey League next season for the Toronto Marlies.
My understanding is that Foster will NOT join the Marlies for the end of this season, so the announcement might not come for a few weeks.
Foster had 75 and 74 point seasons with Edmonton in the WHL in 2010-11, and 2011-12 and took a significant step forward this season in his all-around game in the CIS.
Trust me when I say this, Foster's departure, though as loss in terms of a high caliber of player will help Ian Herbers on the recruiting front.

Stauffer

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
Coach Ian Herbers to represent Canada as an Assistant Coach to Tim Hunter at the U18 Men's World Championships this year.

CanWestFan

Mar 19, 2011
Looks like the Bears have some NCAA action set up already. According to the Arizona State Sun Devils website, they are heading down to Tempe, AZ for a 2 game series in December against the newest Div 1 team in the NCAA.

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
Just announced that HC Ian Herbers is leaving the program to go and work with the Edmonton Oilers. This leaves a big hole to replace. Will be interesting to see who the candidates are. Whomever steps in will have a lot of talent to work with as Herbers has left the cupboard stacked.

gleanerguy

Nov 27, 2009
That's a HUGE loss for that program. Covered the CIS tournament in Halifax last year and the difference in the top two programs and the rest of the country was tangible and traceable to the professionalism around both the Golden Bears and Varsity Reds. They were the top two, and there was everybody else. I believe Herbers and Gardiner MacDougall (who was CIS coach of the year) set the bar for that.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Re: Herbers

No question Ian Herbers got Alberta back to where the supporters of the program expect it to be on a yearly basis.
The team went 19-2 in Canada West Play-offs/University Cup over his three years and of course are reigning 2-time CIS Champs.
Would not be surprised if Athletic Director Ian Reade and GM Stan Marple target Serge Lajoie, Head Coach at ACAC Champion NAIT to replace Herbers.
Lajoie was on Eric Thurston's staff that won the National title in 2008 and is a former team-mate of Herbers and Marple on Billy Moores 1992 National Championship team.
Herbers and Marple were having a very strong recruiting season (U of A doesn't make announcements until August) and I fully expect the Golden Bears to ice a very competitive team in 2015-16...one completely capable of three-peating!

Cheers

Bob Stauffer,
Oilers Radio Network

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Herbers made a big difference to the Golden Bears program, and will be difficult to replace. I've never seen as successful defensive systems and transition play as the Bears employed at the University Cup in March. He obviously got buy in from the players.

In recent years UNB was able to outwork Alberta in big games. Not any more.

I agree with Gleanerguy that there still seems to be a bit of a "professionalism" gap, if you want to call it that, between Alberta and UNB and the rest of CIS men's hockey. Success obviously helps. Tradition of winning is important, and big game experience might be the most important. That was certainly a factor for Alberta over a comparatively young UNB in the final.

But I do feel other programs are getting closer, especially the teams that make it to the University Cup. Maybe this will be a side benefit of expanding the tourney to eight teams, as more coaches and players get to experience what is need to advance to the next level.

The OUA raising their self-imposed Athletic Financial Awards limits this year will probably be a positive recruiting factor as well. But the OUA should stop holding back their top teams and allow them to match their AFAs to the rest of the CIS.

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
As per Bob's post, U of A acted quickly and announced Serge Lajoie as their new coach. This is a great hire as he is a former player, former assistant coach and has been the head man at a very successful NAIT program the last few years (a team that beat the Bears prior to their play-off run). I have had the opportunity to hear Lajoie speak in a coaching forum and he is an excellent communicator and has the same approach to the game as Herbers. While Lajoie will make the program his own, the Bears will make as seamless a transition with a coaching change of this magnitude.

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
As per Bob's post, U of A acted quickly and announced Serge Lajoie as their new coach. This is a great hire as he is a former player, former assistant coach and has been the head man at a very successful NAIT program the last few years (a team that beat the Bears over the Christmas break last year). I have had the opportunity to hear Lajoie speak in a coaching forum and he is an excellent communicator and has the same approach to the game as Herbers. While Lajoie will make the program his own, the Bears will make as seamless a transition with a coaching change of this magnitude.

I have kept the scores the last few years and don't see a NAIT win over Alberta, nor any other CIS team. Here's what I have:

2010-11
Sep 17 NAIT 1 Regina 5
Sep 18 NAIT 0 Saskatchewan 3

2011-12
Sep 16 Alberta 1 NAIT 0
Sep 17 NAIT 1 Alberta 5

2012-13
Sep 21 NAIT 0 Lethbridge 3
Jan 04 Alberta 3 NAIT 2
Jan 05 NAIT 0 Alberta 3

2013-14
Jan 03 Alberta 4 NAIT 2
Jan 04 NAIT 1 Alberta 6

2014-15
Sep 12 NAIT 1 Mount Royal 4
Sep 13 NAIT 4 Mount Royal 5
Sep 20 Regina 3 NAIT 1
Oct 06 NAIT 4 Nebraska-Omaha 0

They are 0-12 against the CIS and 1-0 against the NCAA.

The Monkeys did lose to Augustana last September.

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
Sorry, correction to my post. NAIT beat the Bears 4-2 on February 21st - right before they went on their play-off run, it was not over Christmas. A definite feather in NAIT's cap. The game shows up on the Bears schedule from last season and a link is on NAIT's sports recap for 2015.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sorry, correction to my post. NAIT beat the Bears 4-2 on February 21st - right before they went on their play-off run, it was not over Christmas. A definite feather in NAIT's cap. The game shows up on the Bears schedule from last season and a link is on NAIT's sports recap for 2015.

That game flew right under the radar. Nothing was said at the time. It was right after the Universiade. The page for Feb 21st is here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1641651&page=11

Alberta has no schedule/results for 2014-15: http://athletics.ualberta.ca/teams/hockey-m/schedule It is also not under "news": http://athletics.ualberta.ca/teams/hockey-m/bears-hockey-news#3

Last edited:

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
Two graduating members of the Bears have signed professional contracts: Jess Craige has signed with Nippon Paper Cranes of the Asian League and Johnny Lazo has signed with the WSV Sterzing/Vipiteno Broncos of the Serie A Italian top league.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Two graduating members of the Bears have signed professional contracts: Jess Craige has signed with Nippon Paper Cranes of the Asian League and Johnny Lazo has signed with the WSV Sterzing/Vipiteno Broncos of the Serie A Italian top league.
The Bisons beat that team in tour about 4 years ago.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Alberta-August 7th update

The U of A like UNB don't announce their recruits early (I know a guy who started that process years ago ...lol) but my expectation is that new Head Coach Serge Lajoie will have a squad that will feature at least 10 20+ goal scorers out of the WHL up front and seven D with at least one 30+ point season in the WHL, with a couple of guys who had 50-point seasons.
Alberta definitely needs a top end goalie to replace Kurtis Mucha and compete with Luke Siemens and there is a really good one going to Washington's camp (Taran Kozun) who may be destined for the CIS.
On defence Sawyer Lange's name has been mentioned and he would be a good add for Lajoie to replace Jesse Craige who graduated.
Up front Lukas Nickles who scored 20 goals for Tri-Cities last season is a possibility, he can really skate and might be a better CIS player than he was in Junior.
Jayden Hart is a power forward that had a decent run in the AHL late last season and he is headed to NY Rangers' Camp but has been spotted around Clare Drake Arena recently.
Brandon Magee went to Montreal Canadiens development camp and is headed to the Dallas Star's Rookie Camp this fall.
The Bears will be returning five of their top six scorers up front this season.

Stauffer

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
The U of A like UNB don't announce their recruits early (I know a guy who started that process years ago ...lol) but my expectation is that new Head Coach Serge Lajoie will have a squad that will feature at least 10 20+ goal scorers out of the WHL up front and seven D with at least one 30+ point season in the WHL, with a couple of guys who had 50-point seasons.
Alberta definitely needs a top end goalie to replace Kurtis Mucha and compete with Luke Siemens and there is a really good one going to Washington's camp (Taran Kozun) who may be destined for the CIS.
On defence Sawyer Lange's name has been mentioned and he would be a good add for Lajoie to replace Jesse Craige who graduated.
Up front Lukas Nickles who scored 20 goals for Tri-Cities last season is a possibility, he can really skate and might be a better CIS player than he was in Junior.
Jayden Hart is a power forward that had a decent run in the AHL late last season and he is headed to NY Rangers' Camp but has been spotted around Clare Drake Arena recently.
Brandon Magee went to Montreal Canadiens development camp and is headed to the Dallas Star's Rookie Camp this fall.
The Bears will be returning five of their top six scorers up front this season.

Stauffer

Sounds like a rebuild for the Bears. They had a good run.
</sarcasm font>

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad