Albany & Devils negotiating renew

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Beside the Devils it has been all local ownership groups so saying "any other franchise would go back in there" doesn't make any sense.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Beside the Devils it has been all local ownership groups so saying "any other franchise would go back in there" doesn't make any sense.
Yeah. but aomeone has to want to put their prospects there as well. Also Albany like the rest of Upstate NY is pretty broke these days. Good luck finding someone wikl ing to constantly losing a buttload of money. The only ones with money are politicians.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Where do you find that information? I've never heard anyone say that, and judging from living here for the last 38 years or so I don't see any signs of "Albany being pretty broke". My friends who own businesses are actually having trouble finding employees in some cases.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I live in upstate NY. I watch the news I pay attention. As a whole upstate NY isn't doing well. Really hasn't been since the milenium. People are flocking out of the state in droves. Its not new or secret information...its more common knowledge throughout the state than anything. Albany is obviously the capital so that's where the big wigs for the states politics hangout. Though I've never figures out why its the capital. Its not like its the biggest upstate city infact I'm not even sure its bigger than Syracuse or Binghamton.

Last edited:

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
I live in Binghamton and Albany is way bigger. That being said upstate is struggling. Mass exodus.
I will say when I was in Albany for my Grandma's funeral last March I was very impressed with the city. Had all the things you would want in a cool city.
I feel there is no way Albany is without hockey, great building. Great location.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Okay so I haven't been to Binghamton in awhile lol. I know its bigger than Elmira but smaller than Rochester. Syracuse is a college town obviously with the prominent college in the state though for size.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I live in Binghamton and Albany is way bigger. That being said upstate is struggling. Mass exodus.
I will say when I was in Albany for my Grandma's funeral last March I was very impressed with the city. Had all the things you would want in a cool city.
I feel there is no way Albany is without hockey, great building. Great location.

Plus when talking about Albany the base that they draw from includes the cities of Troy and Schenectady plus the suburban areas around the Tri-City area. The Albany area is much more populated than Binghamton or Utica and certainly Glens Falls. The support for the Devils in very poor when you consider the population of the entire area.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Troy and Schenectady have D-I programs that are very well established. There really are four excellent choices for hockey within 40 minutes from my house, I'm kind of in the middle, but that's the reality of it. There are Saturday nights where 13,000+ are at hockey games in "Albany".

Except Union's barn is a dump......

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Yeah. but aomeone has to want to put their prospects there as well. Also Albany like the rest of Upstate NY is pretty broke these days. Good luck finding someone wikl ing to constantly losing a buttload of money. The only ones with money are politicians.

Albany's MSA economy is certainly solid enough to sustain an AHL team (and definitely better than places like Springfrield and Manchester).

The political scene + the abundance of colleges assures a lot of young professionals who make a decent amount of money. There is a big tech scene happening in the region too.

The city of Albany itself has a lot of poverty in certain areas, but the Capital District region is fairly well off.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
You know that number (announced attendance) really means nothing? There is no common formula for it, it's just a number put out by someone in the front office. In my opinion- not stating this as fact, the Devils announcing a lower # gives them more leverage in negotiating with the arena. They have a reason to leave. The crowds really aren't different (and probably larger) than Manchester, Bridgeport, Springfield, Hartford, Rochester, Worcester, Portland and probably a few others. All the games are on the internet now so it's not a big secret.

The Rats leaving had nothing to do with the economy. Dr. Robb was put in a similar situation as the Norfolk owner. The front office was also largely to blame- nice folks but not very good businessmen.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Albany Close to New AHL Deal

It looks as though the Devils organization and the Albany arena are close to a new deal in keeping the Devils AHL franchise in New York State's Capital City. This will signal an end to any possible Rangers relocation of their AHL team to that city. Would Albany have been better off to join the ECHL along with Glens Falls NY, maybe with Albany as an ECHL Rangers/Boston affiliate??? The deal will secure Albany as an AHL city, and comes on the heels of major arena upgrades.

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/TU-Center-still-negotiating-with-Devils-6099331.php

wellsZe

Feb 19, 2015
Man, that sucks. I was really hoping the wolf pack would leave. hockey fans in Hartford hate and don't support ranger affiliated hockey. You mostly just see groups outings and families. No real fans in big #s

Hartford attendance would increase if we got rid of the wolfpack and brought in a neutral affiliate not on the east coast. Columbus?

Ranger affiliated hockey would work better down in Bridgeport or actually in NY. Devils in Hartford wouldn't work either.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Man, that sucks. I was really hoping the wolf pack would leave. hockey fans in Hartford hate and don't support ranger affiliated hockey. You mostly just see groups outings and families. No real fans in big #s

Hartford attendance would increase if we got rid of the wolfpack and brought in a neutral affiliate not on the east coast. Columbus?

Ranger affiliated hockey would work better down in Bridgeport or actually in NY. Devils in Hartford wouldn't work either.

I always thought Albany's resurgance would have been through the Rangers organization. Back when Albany used to be a decent draw was only through the 1990s when they had strong NJ Devils teams but locally owned as the River Rats. Much has changed though in the American league since. Hartford hates the Rangers, and after being an NHL rival city I cant blame them. I would have to think Hartford would be able to build a stronger connection with UConn Hockey, and see much better support when they play nearby New England rivals. Albany on the other hand make so much sense as a Rangers farm team. Trains run right from Albany to NYC and arrive right underneath The Garden. Players sent down can probably catch the last train out of NYC right after games and head back to Albany, or even drive themselves lol. Lots of NYC transplants in Albany, and tons of NYC college kids who attend school up in Smallbany. Albany the small state capital only 150 miles north of the greatest city in the world right up the Hudson River....I dont get it???

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

There were plenty of hockey fans, who traveled well and everything, that didn't care about the Ranger affiliation, they just enjoyed hockey. Then Baldwin swooped in, rebranded the club, scored a few big nights based on pure nostalgia, and told the old WolfPack fans to fly a kite. Well, we know how long that lasted and now everyone is alienated. So good job there, I guess.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Prudential Center and MSG are a 15 minute train ride apart. Trains run every 10-15 minutes.

Rangers have more chance moving to Glens Falls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad