Prospect Info: Albany Devils and ECHL talk (2015-16 season) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Sucks they lost Tropp. Like DD said in the old thread. He seemed like a good cog in the machine. Maybe not an essential piece, but a cog.

They should be set for the playoffs though when the Killer Bs and Severson get there.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=114726281&postcount=990
He's also the same age as Matteau and in the AHL. He also struggled to find time until recent call-ups and injuries -- he was pretty unimpressive the first half of the year.

Kujawinski is one year younger than Matteau. March '95 vs. Feb '94.

Losing Tropp probably will hurt at some level, but it's also a good opportunity for Kujawinski and Black to continue developing. Could lead to a bit of a promotion for Pietila. Too bad about Coleman's injury, he likely would have benefited as well.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sev's going down to Albany to finish the year and play some playoff games seems so unlikely to me.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Sev's going down to Albany to finish the year and play some playoff games seems so unlikely to me.

Why bother making him eligible then? Unless it's as a precaution if they get a rash of injuries. He might not even play as much down the stretch here.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Kuja not looking half bad for a 20-21 year old in his first pro season. Anyone wanna take some bets whether he ends up a better forward than Matteau? I remember FMASC scoffing at my speculation that Stefan Matteau could end being sort of a next Bernier, now it seems like Stefan will be lucky if he hits that level. Kujawinski's probably not much better but he's making plays in the AHL that Matteau never did.

In 45 games this year, Kujo has 4 goals and 10 assists.

In 61 games last year, Matteau had 12 and 15.

For both they turned 21 during the year.

I'll give you that Kujo has produced some nice highlights. But he has had a very unimpressive season thus far. Still young, and unlike Matteau last year, there is still plenty of time for development, but let's be real, Matteau's season last year was better then Kujo's this season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Why bother making him eligible then? Unless it's as a precaution if they get a rash of injuries. He might not even play as much down the stretch here.

I'm not sure what this is?

But maybe just keeping options open?

After 1.75 years in the NHL sending him down at this point would seem like a very odd move.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Don't get me wrong I'm having a hard time picturing him playing for the AHL team too but they did have him come to prospects camp this year after he played one almost full season.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I'll give you that Kujo has produced some nice highlights. But he has had a very unimpressive season thus far. Still young, and unlike Matteau last year, there is still plenty of time for development, but let's be real, Matteau's season last year was better then Kujo's this season.

Again, I don't disagree with you that Kujawinski hasn't had an impressive year but you continually discount the importance of not being in the lineup regularly, especially for a first year pro.

61 games of being a regular top 6 forward as a 2nd year Pro and producing 27 points vs 45 games being in and out of the lineup playing in spot duty for half a season, mostly in the bottom 6 as a first year Pro and producing 14 points is not remotely a fair comparison or an appropriate one.

In fact, I might even make the argument that Kujawinski's .311 points per game is more impressive than Matteau's .442 points per game all things considered.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

We should cut Kuja?

For Sevs, it would be great for him to play in Albany for the playoffs.

It helped Lars a few seasons ago.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Again, I don't disagree with you that Kujawinski hasn't had an impressive year but you continually discount the importance of not being in the lineup regularly, especially for a first year pro.

61 games of being a regular top 6 forward as a 2nd year Pro and producing 27 points vs 45 games being in and out of the lineup playing in spot duty for half a season, mostly in the bottom 6 as a first year Pro and producing 14 points is not remotely a fair comparison or an appropriate one.

In fact, I might even make the argument that Kujawinski's .311 points per game is more impressive than Matteau's .442 points per game all things considered.

Kujo will have pretty close to 60 games in by the end of the year, he's played almost as consistently this year as Matteau did last. But if you want compare it to Matteau's 1st year as a pro, 67 gp, 13 g's 13 a's.

Stef did play more consistent, but also was a year younger.

Trust me I'd love to see Kujo show a big uptick in development next year. And I don't rule it out. But let's not act like he has had an impressive 1st year in Albany. Matteau produced at a better rate.

We should cut Kuja?

For Sevs, it would be great for him to play in Albany for the playoffs.

It helped Lars a few seasons ago.

Who suggested this?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Kujawinski isn't in the lineup regularly because he isn't very good. He'll get better - most pros do - but he's not likely to get good enough to where it matters to the NHL team.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Kujo will have pretty close to 60 games in by the end of the year, he's played almost as consistently this year as Matteau did last. But if you want compare it to Matteau's 1st year as a pro, 67 gp, 13 g's 13 a's.

Stef did play more consistent, but also was a year younger.

Trust me I'd love to see Kujo show a big uptick in development next year. And I don't rule it out. But let's not act like he has had an impressive 1st year in Albany. Matteau produced at a better rate.

Who suggested this?

I would prefer to look at his production since he became a regular in the lineup, that was since around December/ January and during that time he went from 4 or 5 points to 14.

These numbers aren't precise, I'm going on memory but I just don't think looking at the about 20 games of spot work and adding them to the total paints a real picture of what has actually transpired...

Early in the season there were a lot of forwards in and out of the lineup including Boucher, Pietila and Coleman.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you that the season has been lackluster and I'm not making any assessments of the player...I just think looking at it as 14 points in 45 games is not a true portrayal.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So I was just looking at Kujawinski's game log..Unfortunately they don't have TOI that would be another interesting to see by month as well.

October 4 games 1 point - 1 goal. *The team played 8

November 10 games 4 points - 1 goal and 3 assist *The team played 11 - Good month *ALL Even Strength

December 8 games 1 point - 1 assist - *The team played 11

He played 22 of of 30 games -- I believe all of these were scratches - 4 in October, 1 in November and 3 in December.

The month he got to play the most regularly, he actually produced the most in November *All of this was from the bottom 6 for the most part and none of his points are power play points all ES

January 11 games 2 points 1 goal and 1 assist - * The team played 13 games

February 11 games 6 point - 1 goals and 5 assist - *The team played 11 games *ALL Even Strength Points again.

The only month Kujawinski played all his teams games he produced the most of the year - 6 points in 11 games .545 PPG

So the two months he played just about all of the games, November and February he had 10 points in 21 games. .48 PPG

Kujawinski put up as many points in February as he had in the months October, November and December combined. Again, the only month he played all of his team's games.

Not saying this is some superstar, or even making any assessments of this player. I'm just saying maybe look at stability and regular playing time as a factor

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Maybe consistent playing time is a bit of a factor. I don't know if missing 3 of 11 in Dec was a big deal, especially if there were some 3 game weekends in that stretch. But maybe.

And I guess 2 pluses to his credit would be a better February, and some nice high light clips.

On the negative would be the 4 goal total for the year.

Let's see him finish the year strong, and continue to show improvement next year. Then I'll be happy to hope on board. Until then I can't get too excited.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Maybe consistent playing time is a bit of a factor. I don't know if missing 3 of 11 in Dec was a big deal, especially if there were some 3 game weekends in that stretch. But maybe.

And I guess 2 pluses to his credit would be a better February, and some nice high light clips.

On the negative would be the 4 goal total for the year.

Let's see him finish the year strong, and continue to show improvement next year. Then I'll be happy to hope on board. Until then I can't get too excited.

Absolutely. How he finishes is going to be important. And all I really was trying to say is how finishes, assuming he is a fixture in the lineup, is probably more important than how he started for a first year pro.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Albany now 0-2 without Tropp.

3-1 loss tonight

Had a dream that we traded Kuja, very weird.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Shots were dead even at 27 last night, outshot the opposition in the previous loss as well. Don't see the makings of a downward slide in the post tropp era.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Team loses two games in a row and it is because Tropp is gone?

Oh boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad